Ran a modded WRX wagon and an STi at the same time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ran a modded WRX wagon and an STi at the same time within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, I have to say that this was probably the best race that I have ever been involved in. While ...

Ran a modded WRX wagon and an STi at the same time

Well, I have to say that this was probably the best race that I have ever been involved in.

While on the highway in the middle lane cruising at 60mph thinking happy thoughts, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw two cars ducking in weaving in and out of the lanes behind me (mind you, there was not much in the way of traffic on the highway at this time in the afternoon - around 3pm). I maintained my speed allowing the cars to get closer, so that I could see what they were. To my utter surprise, it was a wrblue WRX wagon and a silver STi duking it out for honors.

The Wagon came up directly behind me and slowed down to my speed, and then went over to the slow lane (the right side lane). I could see that the wagon had a FMIC (Blitz), but could not tell what else he had. The windows were heavily tinted. The wagon pulled up on my right, and then gave it a little until his rear door was equal to the front doors, and then slowed down again making himself even with me. The STi was silver, and had no tints. The driver of that car pulled up on my left side (in the fast lane). I looked at both cars, and gave them both the thumbs up.

At this point, my heart was pounding like a mofo, because I knew what was about to happen! I heard the wagon downshift to 4th gear, and then to 3rd gear, and the the STi downshifted as well too (not sure what gear). At this point, I too insticntively downshifted to 3rd as well, and waited for them to make the move. As soon as they both hit it, I too dropped the hammer. Now before I say what the results were, I have to say that I was very nervous thinking about what exactly the wagon and STi had under the hoods. One just never knows these days ya know!

Anyway, back to the race!
    As soon as they both hit it, I did the same thing, and watched the boost needle swing all the way over.. - i have my setup tuned to give 19psi max at just under WOT, but I never use WOT for some reason. I was using around 85-90% throttle . Low and behold, I immediately killed off the wagon's initial momentum, and started pulling! At the end of 3rd gear, the wagon was at my rear bumper. 4th gear came, and the wagon kept going backwards. By the time I reached around 120 mph, the wagon was a couple of cars back.

Now for the STi...

If was worse for this one. By the time i hit 120mph and checked my rear view mirror, the STi was about a buslength behind, and showing no signs of catching at all

I hit the brakes at 120mph (i was losing courage, and feeling stupid for going so fast at this point)only for the wagon to fly right by on my left and keep going The STi pulled up beside me again briefly, and gave me the thumbs up with a massive grin on his face! I was just in shock at the race though!

Now, I would suspect that the STi was stock - I know it had the stock exhaust on it anyway when it sped up to try to catch the wagon that kept going. As for which turbo the wagon had, I would like to know. All i know is that it could not keep up on the top end of the rev range.

For the rest of the day, I could not help but laugh out loud because I am sure that these people must have thought that my car was stock (or close to it), and they both thought they would tear me a new one. My only visible performance mod from the outside is my 5zigen catback. They were probably more tempted to run me since I am currently on my 16 inch steelies for the winter, so the car does not look all that intimidating at all. The guy in the wagon must have felt pretty let down, with his FMIC and all, but hey....he didn't know before hand that he wasn't the only one who could play the mod game!

On this occasion, it appears that the hunters became the hunted....

My mods consist of an 1820 turbo, DR500 FMIC (black ), ecutek, and the rest of the fixings. Tuned to 320whp at 19psi.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice kills.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

great story and nice kills!
    BUGEYE MAFIA~~~

05 aspen white STi

fre
    I dunno, I wouldn't be dissapointed, because I know that just because you can't see the FMIC doesn't mean it's not there. I know what power I put down and if the car next to me is putting out more then that is cool, because I don't get many cars on the road that can put up much a fight. I had a turbo civic run me down at the track. It's all fun to me.
    11.1 @ 131

sweeeeeeeeeet race! nice kill. kinda wonder what the wagon had thinking about it now.
    2002 wagon 83k miles
    perrin short ram, inlet & fmic, perrin / samco hoses and fuel rails, bosal dp. erz upp, borla catback, sti ra gears w/ stock 5th, act clutch & fly, vf30, AP, perrin end links, critical cooling kit, hks bov, perrin 4pot brakes, rota wheels, hid w/ levals

Racenut3.0 - said
    "The worst thing about the AP is it did not come with any fairy dust. I wanna fly dammit!"

awesome kills!..

your car is fast.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by jigga

My mods consist of an 1820 turbo, DR500 FMIC (black ), ecutek, and the rest of the fixings. Tuned to 320whp at 19psi.

got any pics of the front mount on your car?

wow...just...wow
    WuDekStyle: i took the meanest **** at work today, i created an island there was so much nastiness
    WuDekStyle: i felt like a wild animal
    Official Cinematographer for the Bugeye Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by jigga
    For the rest of the day, I could not help but laugh out loud because I am sure that these people must have thought that my car was stock (or close to it), and they both thought they would tear me a new one. My only visible performance mod from the outside is my 5zigen catback. They were probably more tempted to run me since I am currently on my 16 inch steelies for the winter, so the car does not look all that intimidating at all.
    Now that's how you do it. Good kill.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

good stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey
    I have a tauren shaman level 52 on the Tichondrious server.
    Quote Originally Posted by shotguntc88
    Try going without underwear (old hippie day thing that I never got over)

Pee dribbles on your jeans when you park it back in.

Bad A$$.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    got any pics of the front mount on your car?
    I don't have my digi cam on my right now, but I'll try to get my hands on a friend's camera to take some pix and post up.

Here are a few pix of my car (and my friend's TL-S that he posted on the Acura TL boards a while back).

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94027
    Last edited by jigga; 02-02-2005 at 05:19 AM.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

way to take out the hunters
    02 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #37

finally, a post in here worth reading
    it's been quite some time

Quote Originally Posted by fre
    I dunno, I wouldn't be dissapointed, because I know that just because you can't see the FMIC doesn't mean it's not there. I know what power I put down and if the car next to me is putting out more then that is cool, because I don't get many cars on the road that can put up much a fight. I had a turbo civic run me down at the track. It's all fun to me.
    With your trap speed, I am sure you don't get many cars at all that put up a fight

I guess I was thinking that way because before they got up to me, I could see that they were duking it out between themselves, aproaching from behind at a really good rate of speed. ((much higher than the 60mph i was travelling at the time). The STi just pulled up and waited, but it was obvious that the wagon thought that he had something to show/prove, since he sat right on my ass at first (I guess to show the FMIC core), and then swung out to the slow lane to line up, and then was the first to start downshifting and waiting for the run! I was quite content to admire both their cars before the downshifting occurred, but once I heard his engine as he downshifted, I knew I had to give it a go!

As I said earlier though, I had no idea what was strapped beside his engine... Could have been Ultimate Racing's stage 5 package (UR are local to us up here), or God knows what!

Win or lose at the end of the day though, I agree, that it is all in good fun. A few months ago, I was decimated from a roll by a turbocharged civic with built engine and t3/t4 turbo, putting down 388whp. That was a humbling experience to say the least, but I knew i would lose. It was still good fun for both of us, since we know before hand what we both had under the hood of our cars, but in this situation, nobody would know anything until the hammers were dropped (so to speak)!
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast