WRX vs S-Class
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs S-Class within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well i am not sure if it was an S-430 or an S-500 since it was de-badged, but it did ...

WRX vs S-Class

Well i am not sure if it was an S-430 or an S-500 since it was de-badged, but it did have two shiney chrome exhaust tips, one on either side, i know the amg has daul tips on each side. It was a 2004-2005 model. Anyway i have a 2005 wrx with a short throw shifter and a lightweight pulley. I was following the mercedes onto rt 287 on my way home from work, i was sitting at about 25mph as we merged onto 287 in 2nd gear, the mercedes had an extra passenger and it was de-badged and slightly tinted, i just waited for him to punch and it sure enough he did, i floored it all the way through second, shifted into third and pushed third all the way out then shifted into fourth and we both slowed up at around 95mph. Besides the initial 2 car jump he got on me from him punching it first we stayed dead even. Now if he was going all out or not i don't know for sure, but he was basically going the same speed as i was and i was pushing my wrx as hard as it goes. he did have an extra passenger. So basically 25-95mph Stock WRX vs S class mercedes...dead even, unless he was not trying his hardest.
    Last edited by elohdaeh78; 02-15-2005 at 06:19 PM.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Probably the S430 then it would make alot of sense. S500 are Fast they trap around 98 mph so with youre mods an S500 should blow you away.
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by audirs6
    Probably the S430 then it would make alot of sense. S500 are Fast they trap around 98 mph so with youre mods an S500 should blow you away.
    they trap 3mph higher, he had an extra passenger....blow me away?
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    they trap 3mph higher, he had an extra passenger....blow me away?
    There is a good 5mph difference in your trap speeds (stock wrxen trap at around 93mph).. An s500 would walk you at speed. At lower speeds though, I would give the wrx the advantage. My pop has an S500, and in town, it is a bit of a slug, but as speed rises, it gets stronger.... Almost as if it is geared opposite to the wrx 5MT. Add that they have MUCH better aerodynamics than our breadboxes on wheels, and i can see a stock wrx getting taken by one.
    Last edited by jigga; 02-02-2005 at 07:09 PM.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Quote Originally Posted by jigga
    There is a good 5mph difference in your trap speeds (stock wrxen trap at around 93mph).. An s500 would walk you at speed. At lower speeds though, I would give the wrx the advantage. My pop has an S500, and in town, it is a bit of a slug, but as speed rises, it gets stronger.... Almost as if it is geared opposite to the wrx 5MT. Add that they have MUCH better aerodynamics than our breadboxes on wheels, and i can see a stock wrx getting taken by one.
    No doubt that a wrx wouldn't beat one, but to get blown away from a 25mph roll in 2nd gear when the S-500 had an extra passenger doesn't seem right to me, an S500 will walk a wrx from a roll stock for stock, but it won't blow it away, and throw an extra passenger in the S500 and stop the race at 95mph it could be pretty close? Does your dads S500 have dual exhaust similar to the AMG but with only one tip on each side instead of dual tips on each side, because im almost positive the S430 doesn't have that.

No doubt that a wrx wouldn't beat one, but to get blown away from a 25mph roll in 2nd gear when the S-500 had an extra passenger doesn't seem right to me, an S500 will walk a wrx from a roll stock for stock, but it won't blow it away, and throw an extra passenger in the S500 and stop the race at 95mph it could be pretty close? Does your dads S500 have dual exhaust similar to the AMG but with only one tip on each side instead of dual tips on each side, because im almost positive the S430 doesn't have that.
    I agree, I think it depends on your definition of "blow away", but an S500 will walk a stock wrx from a high speed roll. I never understood what people meant by "autobahn cars" until my dad got his. It is geared specifically to be quick on the highway (and you can tell because it is a bit of a slug in town).

His S500 has the dual exhaust, but they are very discrete on the car. No polished tips. Yes, they poke out of each side of the car pointing downwards to the road. You almost have to look underneath to see the exhaust properly. He has the AMG kit on his, so I am not sure if it would be different on the regular non-AMG package cars.

only the real AMG's (with the hot-rodded engines) have the dual polished tips on both sides that stick out prominently.

If the guy you raced had 2 exhaust tips, and you were hanging with him, He must have put on some tips. If he had 2 tips on each side, again, i think it was aftermarket.

The older AMG S-Class (without the blower/turbo, but the NA engine) might have the twin tips on each side. But even they trap faster than a stock S-class. IIRC, they have a good 10mph advantage with regard to trap speed over a stock wrx. Again, if you were hanging with one from a roll, it could not have been an AMG.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

I agree, I think it depends on your definition of "blow away", but an S500 will walk a stock wrx from a high speed roll. I never understood what people meant by "autobahn cars" until my dad got his. It is geared specifically to be quick on the highway (and you can tell because it is a bit of a slug in town).

His S500 has the dual exhaust, but they are very discrete on the car. No polished tips. Yes, they poke out of each side of the car pointing downwards to the road. You almost have to look underneath to see the exhaust properly. He has the AMG kit on his, so I am not sure if it would be different on the regular non-AMG package cars.

only the real AMG's (with the hot-rodded engines) have the dual polished tips on both sides that stick out prominently.

If the guy you raced had 2 exhaust tips, and you were hanging with him, He must have put on some tips. If he had 2 tips on each side, again, i think it was aftermarket.

The older AMG S-Class (without the blower/turbo, but the NA engine) might have the twin tips on each side. But even they trap faster than a stock S-class. IIRC, they have a good 10mph advantage with regard to trap speed over a stock wrx. Again, if you were hanging with one from a roll, it could not have been an AMG.
    I know for sure it was not an AMG i know that he would have been out of sight by 95mph. It also didn't have the nice amg rims and wide ass tires on it. It was probably brand new or a few months old. I am pretty sure the amg has the duals on either side, this had the same exact looking exhaust tips as an AMG only that it only had one on each side. I don't know what the 430 traps at. What do you think it was a 430 or a 500, i mean it was dead even with me from 25-95 and he probably had an extra 200lbs in the car. I have a lightweight pulley which probably does nothing and a short throw shifter that does nothing either, but it def doesn't hurt.

The non-supercharged AMG S class does have dual single outlets on each side. Also any S class with the AMG sport package has the dual outlets as well. The out come of your race was not surprising at all. Although the WRX is not a highway monster, starting at speeds like 25MPH where the WRX will pull hard til around 100MPH, you should be able to stay with a car like that Mercedes. However, had you started rolling with him at like 50MPH, it would have been for you!
    -Marc
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

my girlfriends mom has a Sl500 and all i have to say is
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcelration
    my girlfriends mom has a Sl500 and all i have to say is
    S-500 not SL-500 big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabf355
    The non-supercharged AMG S class does have dual single outlets on each side. Also any S class with the AMG sport package has the dual outlets as well. The out come of your race was not surprising at all. Although the WRX is not a highway monster, starting at speeds like 25MPH where the WRX will pull hard til around 100MPH, you should be able to stay with a car like that Mercedes. However, had you started rolling with him at like 50MPH, it would have been for you!
    -Marc
    Does the AMG sport package come without the AMG engine? IF thats the case then that is what it was for sure. It looked like the exhaust came with the car, but i guess you never know, looked factory.

yea i know it was only a S-500 but when i drove the SL-500 was like
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcelration
    yea i know it was only a S-500 but when i drove the SL-500 was like

yeah they are sick, i worked at a country club during the summer for a few years and there were some amazing cars there. Someone had an S55 AMG

Does the AMG sport package come without the AMG engine? IF thats the case then that is what it was for sure. It looked like the exhaust came with the car, but i guess you never know, looked factory.
    Yes, it does come on the S500. That is the one my dad has on his (his isnt a speed demon by any means, so does not see why anyone would need almost 500Hp on the road ).

His has the 302HP engine, with the AMG body kit, monoblock wheels, etc etc, BUT it does not have polished tips poking out of the back either. His is the 4matic version too.

I doubt it would be very diffucult to change the exhaust on the cars out to make it look like the fast ones.

I know for a fact that you can get the same package on the S430 as well too, but the S430 comes only in the short wheel base version, and not long wheel base like you see the S500 and above.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Yes, it does come on the S500. That is the one my dad has on his (his isnt a speed demon by any means, so does not see why anyone would need almost 500Hp on the road ).

His has the 302HP engine, with the AMG body kit, monoblock wheels, etc etc, BUT it does not have polished tips poking out of the back either. His is the 4matic version too.

I doubt it would be very diffucult to change the exhaust on the cars out to make it look like the fast ones.

I know for a fact that you can get the same package on the S430 as well too, but the S430 comes only in the short wheel base version, and not long wheel base like you see the S500 and above.

I think it was an S500, i think a S430 with an extra passenger should get walked by a wrx from 25-95mph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast