WRX vs 350Z What do you think ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs 350Z What do you think ? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; According to the August Car & Driver: 287hp, 274 lb/ft 0-60: 5.4 1/4: 14.1@101 Top Speed: 156 Skidpad: .88 with ...

Nissan 350Z stats out!

According to the August Car & Driver:

287hp, 274 lb/ft
    0-60: 5.4
    1/4: 14.1@101
    Top Speed: 156
    Skidpad: .88 with moderate understeer
    Weight: 3322lbs

Cover image:
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I want one, but I would have to sell my WRX to get it. You can forget about that happening!

-Jim

Wow. Impressive. I bet with just better tires, the Z could get into the 13s on the 1/4 mile.

I would actually expect it to be a little quicker than that. Perhaps your right on bedabi, it just needs some stickier rubber. I like it, but I still like the rex better. Just my opinion, of course.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Not bad. I don't like the design though, the old Z designs were the best. I also think they should have given it a little more power. How much is it? Like $30,000?

I wonder if those are the numbers for the track model, which comes with better tires and brakes. With torque and HP like that, it should be able to get in 13's.

AutoXJunkie posted the link to the online article on another thread which mysteriously disappeared. The test was on the high end, track-ready model.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...ds=350Z&page=1

Thanks Bed. I originally posted this thread to OT, then when I went back to add the article link, this thread appeared to be gone. So I assumed that I was having a "senior moment" and had actually posted it on some other forum, and so reposted it in OT. I guess the mods moved it without a notice, then killed my duplicate. Sorry about the confusion!!

BTW, the majority of the folks in the Z community are mad, mad, mad about these stats. Despite the fact that Nissan promised only 260hp originally, rumors floated around that it would be 315hp, and it seems a majority of the Z folks decided to bank on the 315. Oops. The 1/4 is .1 behind the oft-quoted 14.0 for the S2K, and, obviously, the weight is a little high. Some of those who made pre-orders are talking about dropping their preorder in protest. Guess it goes to show, some people will be unhappy no manner what.
    Last edited by AutoXJunkie; 06-26-2002 at 12:50 PM.
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

Woops, looks like Car and Driver took down the article. Apparently they violated the Nissan press agreement saying they couldn't release any data until (IIRC) July 3.

I want the "TRACK" version of the 350Z for $34,000. I was just looking over the stats. The 350Z is the next super-value sports car. It will do for sports cars what the WRX did for sports sedans. I'm seriously considering trading in my WRX!!! With a little work, this car would be sooooooo goddam fast!

-Jim

Yet another case of Nissan over-stating HP claims. I'm willing to bet if you threw it on the dyno it would get the same figures (190s-200s) we have seen with the 02 Maxima (essentially the same engine). I do recall Nissan's chief engineer saying this car would beat or meet the E46 M3. Well from what I recall the M3 runs a very low 13 through the 1/4 mile.
    The saving grace is the fact that Nismo is on it's way to US shores, so we will begin seeing turbo kits and all other sorts of goodies.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Re: Nissan 350Z stats out!

Originally posted by AutoXJunkie
    According to the August Car & Driver:

287hp, 274 lb/ft
    0-60: 5.4
    1/4: 14.1@101
    Top Speed: 156
    Skidpad: .88 with moderate understeer
    Weight: 3322lbs

Cover image:
    I knew it is going to be bad a**, my first stick car was a 240Z
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

will be interesting here at work. My old zxtt buddies each have a track model on order along with keeping their old TT's ( both currently getting monster buidups..one to 650rwhp and the other to ~1Krwhp ). But they have been ragging on me ever since I sold my TT and bought the WRX. Plenty of friendly smack talk has been laid down and I have running bets with both of them that I will kick their Z's butts in acceleration to 100, cornering and braking ( the new ones of course, not the monster tt's )...I am already planning on using their cash towards a set of teins LOL.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

Actually, Nissan has been telling the Z Community 280 HP from the beginning. What they wouldn't tell us was the Weight. Orginally we were quoted 2800, then 2950, now it's 3140. And the track model isn't what was said. Instead of being a stripped down model with all the performance goodies, its a loaded model with better brakes and tires. It's one fo the heaviest options there are. You would be better of getting the base model and upgrading the tires (kinda of like the old Mustang LX's were faster that the GT's).

The price was better than hoped for though, You can actually buy one for just over 26K. And the FM Chassis has turned out to be a gem. At Houston the weight distribution was almost exactly 50/50.

The hoursepower figure seems to be right on the Money given the weight of the car. Take 287 and 3300 lbs for the track model.

There will be full reviews on Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Sport Z after this weekend. (Yes, there was a media black out until July 3rd).

Yet another NICE Naturally Asperated car... that will be sucking air up here at 6000ft. above sea level. Mark my words if it does in fact run a 14.1 at sea level it will be lucky to pull off a 15.1 up here ... [sigh]... BUT at least I have my "not as affected by altitude turbo WRX"

Cheers... the only car that concerns me is the Turbo Lancer when it arrives... or any other big hp turbo car for that matter.
    Stock 2004 WRX STi
    Java Black on Silver

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.