33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Acura RSX-s

5 15.15%
  • Toyota Celica GT-s

7 21.21%
  • Lexus IS300

21 63.64%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help me pick a car! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; check this, i had the WRX at my finger tips it was going to be purchased in about 10 days ...

IM pissed,help me

check this, i had the WRX at my finger tips it was going to be purchased in about 10 days from now i was very phycied to get that , its such a BEatiful car in all perspectives...now i am forced to make a new desicion becuase the dealership told my grandpa*the person who is going to purchase the car for me* that the car is too fast for me, and id kill myself*

I NEED you to help me choose a new car i have around 25k..the money i do not use is going to be mine....these were my alternatives..sadly.

1.IS300, very nice car..but its sorta out of my price limits and it'll be hard to get, VERY hard so this car is just on my mind but i wont get it..

2. Celica GT-s, ill have no money in the end w\ this car..but its all not that bad, i test drove it and its sorta funky, the shifting..i herd the car gets slower and slower every year..fuel line cutoff...i can go to TRD to pump this car up, but id rather have a WRX..

3.Sadly, ACURA RSX-s ill have no money at the end of purchasing this car either..maybe 1k if im lucky but odds are no..its a honda..or should i say acura..i wont rice it out. im not big on honda\acura infact I sorta hate them..id MUCH rather have a WRX

im open to any other car suggestion. i hate to say this but the car has to be some what new, my G-pa does not like used cars he belives its just buying other peoples problems...as you can see im True WRX at heart and id love to race one when i get my car win or loose, hopefully win...i dunno its very depressing..i basically had this car and ive reachearsed it fully, i just dunno what to do... PLZ recamend more cars, maybe im over looking somthing..madza speed..i sorta dont like it much..i like looks+ performance..
    ---------------nighthawk black RSX---------------
    2x12's JL W0's
    kenwood amp (450watts)
    alpine CD player (COM 7874)
    ------------------------------------------
    are there any Stage kits for the RSX?? PM me if u know of any..
    -------------------------------------------------------
    VEHICAL OF CHOICE--->SUBARU!(WRX)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I NEED YOUR HELP..plz

check this, i had the WRX at my finger tips it was going to be purchased in about 10 days from now i was very phycied to get that , its such a BEatiful car in all perspectives...now i am forced to make a new desicion becuase the dealership told my grandpa*the person who is going to purchase the car for me* that the car is too fast for me, and id kill myself*

I NEED you to help me choose a new car i have around 25k..the money i do not use is going to be mine....these were my alternatives..sadly.

1.IS300, very nice car..but its sorta out of my price limits and it'll be hard to get, VERY hard so this car is just on my mind but i wont get it..

2. Celica GT-s, ill have no money in the end w\ this car..but its all not that bad, i test drove it and its sorta funky, the shifting..i herd the car gets slower and slower every year..fuel line cutoff...i can go to TRD to pump this car up, but id rather have a WRX..

3.Sadly, ACURA RSX-s ill have no money at the end of purchasing this car either..maybe 1k if im lucky but odds are no..its a honda..or should i say acura..i wont rice it out. im not big on honda\acura infact I sorta hate them..id MUCH rather have a WRX

im open to any other car suggestion. i hate to say this but the car has to be some what new, my G-pa does not like used cars he belives its just buying other peoples problems...as you can see im True WRX at heart and id love to race one when i get my car win or loose, hopefully win...i dunno its very depressing..i basically had this car and ive reachearsed it fully, i just dunno what to do... PLZ recamend more cars, maybe im over looking somthing..madza speed..i sorta dont like it much..i like looks+ performance..
    2x12's JL W0's
    kenwood amp (450watts)

I say try to convince him othewise. Tell him that the car has a 5 star crash rating with a best in category designation. Explain why AWD is much safer when the weather gets nasty. From what I have read for the amount of cars crashed there have been nearly no deaths. Most of those cars had the stock wheels and tires, I think they are not suited for this car. I would say do you want my driving a 2 door sports coupe which may be slightly slower but does not make up for that with the amount of protection it provides. Make him a promise that you will not do any modifications for atleast one year, till you feel comfortable with the car, other than a nice set of tires.

It's worth a try, to me the car is not insane fast stock, it can be very managable, as long as you can be a mature driver and not try to impress anyone. Isn't it better to drive a stock WRX for a year, than to try to make a slower car faster than the WRX? Therefore it is less safe anyway.

Good Luck!

BTW I have had this car for over a year and have kept it stock powerwise, I added a set of rims when I bought this car, cause my friend had a set of RE92 tires on his Maxima (same ones that come stock on a WRX), and they sucked. I am still thoroughly enjoying the car in it's stock form.

Oh yeah and thank him for being such an awesome Grandfather, either way!
    Last edited by Avey; 09-11-2002 at 05:56 PM.
    2002 Blue Pearl WRX, With Subaru Bodykit and BBS 17" Wheels.

what you said really helped..and i do thank my G-pa A LOT, most people dont get cars when there 16 or if they do they have to pay for it themselfs...but i think im going to have to take your advice...ill try to convice him
    2x12's JL W0's
    kenwood amp (450watts)

Re: I NEED YOUR HELP..plz

Originally posted by jester
    the dealership told my grandpa*the person who is going to purchase the car for me* that the car is too fast for me, and id kill myself*

Hooboy. That's got to be a first: throwing away their commision on a WRX sale for the sake of social responsibility.

Well, if Grandpa will spring for it, I'd say get the IS300. I had a Celica GT-S. The power band is too narrow, particularly in light of the lowered fuel cut. The Toyota engineers outsmarted themselves copying VTEc. The gearbox is a little cramped-feeling, but you get used to it.

I don't know that much about the RSX Type S, aside from what I've read by the experts, RSXracer200 and RSXSucks.

The new MazdaSpeed Protege will be very nice. The chassis is well-sorted and it's got a great sound system if that's a priority for you. It's turbocharged, but only 170hp - no WRX. Grandpa will like the price, should be around $20k. One potential problem, only 2,000 being sold here, so if you want one, get in line now.

Have you considered the MiniCooper S ? I drove one, again - no match for the WRX in power, but it corners on rails. Fantastic handling, steering and chassis are excellent.
    Old, but not slow.

How bout a nice new 2003 Neon SRT-4?
    Prodrive Headlight Conversion
    STi Front Grill
    Turbochargers.com Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - T28 Compressor
    The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel
    Wagons Are Cool Check Out My Baby Here!

Hi Jester,

This is a triple post (as far as I can see). I'm not going to close this thread because I think the topic most closely fits here in WRX vs. The World (vehicle comparisons vs. WRX) but your other threads are in jeopardy and will most likely be closed.

No double (or triple as the case may be! :-) posts please.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

By the way... As the former owner of a Spectra Blue Mica '01 IS300 - I can say that I don't miss that car at ALL. My girlfriend misses the creature comforts, and "flossing" the car was a bit of fun - but at 30 impressing other people wasn't as important to me as enjoying the vehicle that I drive.

My friends and acquaintances thought more of the IS300 than I did. Which can only mean that it looks better than it drove.

It looks like now is the time to buy a new sport compact car. the Neon SRT is coming out, a forced induction assisted Focus is on the way, the Mazdaspeed Turbo Protege, the Nissan V-Spec Sentra... All are neat examples of relatively low-cost/high fun factor cars. Heck no matter what anybody says - even a turbocharged PT cruiser is better than it's nautrally aspirated counterpart.

You are buying a car at a time when there are a lot of choices!
    Good luck to you.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator

As an autocrosser, I can tell you that from my observations, the IS300 does the best of those three in autocrossing, hands down. I'm not sure what qualities you're looking for, but that's what's important to me, so that's how I voted.

The Mazdaspeed Protoge will be a nice car. Currently running very low boost (someone in the 6-8 psi range, IIRC), so there will be a lot more on tap if you want to install a boost controller and maybe a bigger intercooler. Nice handling, too. If you want one, though, better go to your Mazda dealer and put your name on the list.

I'd also like to second the Mini Cooper S idea. I just looked at a Cooper S here in town for $19k... fast, nice styling, and by many accounts, it handles better than any other stock FWD car except perhaps the old Integra Type-R. If you're not terribly concerned with rear seat legroom and like styling at all, this may be your best bet.

The Neon SRT-4 will be stout right out of the box, and there's already talk of MOPAR power kits. If it handles anything like the Neon ACR, it'll be a performer on all fronts. Downside is that you'll have to deal with subpar Chrysler QC, meaning probably a number of trips to the dealer for warranty repairs, which also means delaying any mods until the car is relatively well sorted. I'm also betting that, like the WRX, we'll see high insurance rates on this one.
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

Originally posted by is2scooby
    Hi Jester,

This is a triple post (as far as I can see). I'm not going to close this thread because I think the topic most closely fits here in WRX vs. The World (vehicle comparisons vs. WRX) but your other threads are in jeopardy and will most likely be closed.

Can you just combine them into one thread ? I think he started this one and then decided it would be better with a poll attached.
    Old, but not slow.

I think I would need to have moderator privileges on the forums where the threads now reside - which I don't. :-(

We'll get 'em all tied together soon!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator

If I was limited to 25k for a car and wanted to mode it slightly I would think about the new Mazda Protege Turbo. The car is 20k, leaving you 5k to mode. The car also can out handle an ITR, and with 5k in modes I think you could get it up around a WRX in the 1/4.

Or how about a used WRX. There are quite a bit of them out there. You can probably get a stock one for around 18-20k and a highly modded one for 25k.

Just my opinion. Good luck with your pick.

str
    You could also get a VW GTI for that price and they are pretty quick. The interior is nice too.
    2004 Black Forester XT

you have an assortment of mustang's and pontiacs, mittsu eclipse gt, hyundai tiburon '03, toyota spyder, focus SVT...or you could wait for the new neon srt-4. you have a lot of options. If you end up not being able to get a rex take your time and look around, don't make a hasty decision just to get something. personally i hated the celica gt-s. i much perfered the tiburon, or american "muscle" .
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Re: IM pissed,help me

Originally posted by jester
    as you can see im True WRX at heart and id love to race one when i get my car win or loose, hopefully win...
    This is probably the exact reason that your grandfather isn't allowing you to get one. Your immaturity is too obvious, just because you've researched the WRX fully doesn't mean you deserve to have one. Frankly I think your grandfather should buy you a conservative, low horsepower compact car because you are cleaerly going to be out racing and beating the hell out of that thing. My first car was a 1981 VW Rabbit, my dad wouldn't allow me to buy the high performance V8 muscle car that I wanted because he knew that I would wrap myself around a telephone poll. Stop dreaming and bring yourself back to reality, get yourself a Ford Focus and pocket the rest of the dough. When you're older and supporting yourself then you can go out and buy whatever you want. What Subaru dealer told your grandfather that the WRX was too much car for you? Mastro or Reeves?
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast