First Stang Kill

This is a discussion on First Stang Kill within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just read that post about the guy who went to the dealership and first drove a "slow" WRX, then ...

First Stang Kill

I just read that post about the guy who went to the dealership and first drove a "slow" WRX, then proceeded to scare the hell out of the salesman by driving like a maniac in a Mustang to show him the Stang was "faster". It made me think of my race against a brand new Mustang last night.

I was driving around after doing that " Free factory mod" of unplugging the factory boost controller. I was concentrating on the boost gauge more than anything else, since I was worried that the boost would go over .11 MPa, but everything seemed to be working good. As I started to turn left at a light, I noticed a new Mustang stopped at the light diagonal to me. The kid driving it was looking my car over, and as I passed him he gave a little "rev".

He had some kind of open exhaust so his car was pretty loud. I made my turn, quickly pulled into a parking lot and turned around, pulling into the lane behind him. As I pulled up I noticed he had no mufflers on the car, just a free flow exhaust. I could tell by the way he was gunning it every few seconds that he was driving a 5 speed. He also didn't have his plates yet, he still had the temporary license tag from the dealer. Just as I pulled up to his bumper the light turned green and he took off hard. I floored it and stuck to his bumper as he accelerated. We both let off after only a few seconds, as the road we were on closed down to one lane and was pretty tight. I followed him a short distance to where the road met up into a nice, wide open three lane divided roadway.

He got in the left hand turn lane, and I lined up behind him. When the green arrow flashed, he began turing left, really wide so that I could move into the inside lane beside him. He didn't quite wait for me to line up, as soon as my front bumper was lined up with his rear bumper he floored it. I had been anticipating this, and I had kept my car in 1st to keep the revs up. I floored it and immediately was dead even with him. We both shifted into second at about the same time, him with a loud "chirp" of tires and some black smoke, and me in the silent 4wd manner I immediately pulled 1-3 car lengths on him. I hit 3rd before him, and as I got deeper into third I widened the gap even further, so I was now 5-6 car lenghths on the guy. He cut off before I got to 4th and turned right at the next light.

I'd go post this on the Stang message board, but I know they wouldn't believe it anyways, or would say it was because his driving was bad. Well, I had two mustangs, and they are 100% easier to drive fast. All you had to do in the mustang was try not to smoke the tires off the line, and keep it floored. I used to shift while racing without taking my foot off the gas. Any mutangs that aren't Cobra's, or don't have pretty extensive mods, aren't going to stand a chance against a WRX.

My Mods (short list)
    5 spokes and tires
    Blitz SuS Intake
    Unhooked Factory Boost Controller (Running 16 PSI in 3rd)

On the way - TurboXS Turbo back exhaust + Up pipe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OK, so was it a V6 or a V8???

Either way, you'd win - but that's a large gap so I was just curious. If you want to start a flame war, go post it on Mustang boards...I'm sure they've got nothing but love for Subaru drivers.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

It was a GT so it was a V-8 5 speed. I'm thinking he might have let off before I thought he did, its hard to tell when you're in front Discouragement can do that to a guy. I doubt it'd help to post it on the Stang boards, I'd get a bunch of replies like " No way a 4 banger beat a V-8, you're lying!" and " He must've missed 2nd gear." I know I probably would have said the same thing when I had my mustangs heh. I guess we'll have to teach them one car at a time.
    Last edited by Mad Max 03; 09-12-2002 at 07:58 AM.

Nice run!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Re: First Stang Kill

Originally posted by Mad Max 03
    Any mutangs that aren't Cobra's, or don't have pretty extensive mods, aren't going to stand a chance against a WRX.
    Um, I wouldn't say that the '99+ GT has no chance against a stock WRX. If anything, they are slightly faster but both drivers had better be on their toes. Mod for mod, the WRX wins for a bit (can't beat unplugging a boost controller for 40HP!), but you seriously think that the WRX keeps winning mod for mod when you start boosting a 4.6L V8? Sorry, IMO there is no replacement for displacement and the Mustang has more potential than a WRX. Just my opinion though.

Nice kill though! Wish I could take on more than the V6 Mustangs.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Re: Re: First Stang Kill

Originally posted by RSXSucks

Um, I wouldn't say that the '99+ GT has no chance against a stock WRX. If anything, they are slightly faster but both drivers had better be on their toes. Mod for mod, the WRX wins for a bit (can't beat unplugging a boost controller for 40HP!), but you seriously think that the WRX keeps winning mod for mod when you start boosting a 4.6L V8? Sorry, IMO there is no replacement for displacement and the Mustang has more potential than a WRX. Just my opinion though.

Nice kill though! Wish I could take on more than the V6 Mustangs.

You are right, there is no replacement for good old cubic inches. I lost to a mustang with exhaust when I was bone stock, before unplugging my boost controller. Once those V-8 guys start adding blowers, its game over. I have a friend with a 2000 Cobra Convertible with a Paxton supercharger on it, he hasnt run it at the track but its putting down MAJOR power, scary fast. It isn't all that useable though, boost comes on at higher rpms, and he loses traction in 1st and 2nd when the boost kicks in. And that kit cost him close to $4,000, plus a new clutch and some new tires heh. Also some underbody support because he started twisting his frame. It hasn't been cheap for him.

I guess in my experience a lot of mustang guys do mostly the light mods; exhaust, pulleys, timing etc. After that it gets hella expensive to start modifying their cars. Heads, superchargers, ported intakes all cost big bucks, so a lot of them just stop at the small stuff. Like you said, its easier to modify turbos than it is V-8s. Sure, you'll find the occasional guy who blows your doors off (like my buddy's Cobra) but by in large most wont have much more than exhaust, maybe headers and advanced timing. Good for low 14's, high 13's. I'm thinking for the $4,000 that my friend spent on his blower I could be running low 13's high 12's... well, I intend to find out anyways
    Last edited by Mad Max 03; 09-12-2002 at 08:06 PM.