Subaru WRX Forum banner

2.5 RS vs MR2

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  TurboWill 
#1 · (Edited)
2.5 RS vs NA Supra

Hey fellas,

Sorry this isn't a Kill or Death story. :sadwave: I was just wondering if anyone could provide specs and performance numbers for these two cars; the 2001 2.5 RS and a 1995 MR2. I'm thinking of getting a daily ride so that I don't have to keep beating up my WRX. (live in VA, work in sh*tty DC)

Which one would you recommend and why?

Many thanks in advance! :thumbup:

#2 ·
onoitsaWRX said:
Hey fellas,

Sorry this isn't a Kill or Death story. :sadwave: I was just wondering if anyone could provide specs and performance numbers for these two cars; the 2001 2.5 RS and a 1995 MR2. I'm thinking of getting a daily ride so that I don't have to keep beating up my WRX. (live in VA, work in sh*tty DC)

MR2. It's fun, quick, and if you want you can go nuts and build the hell out of it with a JDM engine down the road. Plus I think they look better.

#7 ·
onoitsaWRX said:
Hey fellas,

My gf has two 1991 turbo MR2s which is the same as the 1995 MR2. They are really fun cars to drive and handle great, but they are plagued with synchro problems. You might have to replace the trans. The turbo models come with 200hp 200lbs and were rated at a mid 14 second 1/4 stock. My girlfriends MR2's will pull on my wrx on the top end and they are pretty quick off the line but the wrx will take them in the 1st 2 gears. With an exhaust and a boost controller you can easily see mid 13s with the car.

#8 ·
JDM 3SGTE said:
just so you know a 95 MR2 in good condition and low mileage will run you about 15+. used 91 turbos w/100k+ go for around 7-8k.
Thats a bit high, my gf got her 1991 turbo MR2 in good shape with an hks exhaust and 17 inch rims with 78k miles for $6000. She got her other MR2 turbo which is also a 1991 with 100+ miles in average shape with a full veilside kit on it and 17s for $4900.

#9 ·
My MR2 is just as fast my STI. Actually right now the timing belt broke couple weeks ago. If I had the time I would do it myself but I'm going back to school. I wouldn't say its a good daily driver buts it a lot fun. But not in all conditions. I prefer to drive my STI over the MR2 most of the time.

#17 ·
it really depends on what you are looking for, my roomate drives a 91 MR2 and while it is a great fun car, if you are looking for a DD it may not be the best choice over an RS. They are small so you really can only carry you and a couple of bags, they have synchro problems if you get a pre 93 car, the mileage on them is starting to rack up as the newest one you could get is 10 years old, not the safest all around vehicles if your in an accident or driving in less than pleasant conditions. An RS would give you a bit more space and room, a little more practical, probably less miles on it, and still AWD assurance for the daily grind. If you want an MR2 badly, I would suggest DD the WRX and built the snot out of the MR2 as parts will be going out anyways, might as well upgrade. And they are not cheap for their age.

#18 · (Edited)
Hey fellas, thank you all very much for the feedback. :thumbup:

My buddy with a MR2 let me drive it for a bit. Conclusion: The MR2 is out of the picture. There's no way I can have that car without permanent back injury. The car is too small (I'm 6'2) and call me practical, but i need my extra two seats in the back and a for-two-bodies trunk space. It's got a sweet engine with enough mod potential, but I'd rather spend that money on my Subie.

A ' 95 NA Supra is now being offered but for the same price of the 2.5 RS ($10,500)...

I wasn't into Subies before 2001, so here's a dumb question: The EJ257 motor in the 2.5 RS wouldn't be turbocharged by any chance, would it? :D

Thanks again! :thumbup:

#19 ·
onoitsaWRX said:
Hey fellas, thank you all very much for the feedback. :thumbup:

My buddy with a MR2 let me drive it for a bit. Conclusion: The MR2 is out of the picture. There's no way I can have that car without permanent back injury. The car is too small (I'm 6'2) and call me practical, but i need my extra two seats in the back and a for-two-bodies trunk space. It's got a sweet engine with enough mod potential, but I'd rather spend that money on my Subie.

A ' 95 NA Supra is now being offered but for the same price of the 2.5 RS ($10,500)...

I wasn't into Subies before 2001, so here's a dumb question: The EJ257 motor in the 2.5 RS wouldn't be turbocharged by any chance, would it? :D

Thanks again! :thumbup:
Nope, and for what it's worth it isn't as beefy as the STi engine. It's generally not a good platform for turbocharging unless you swap it out for an STi or WRX engine.

#21 ·
Keep in mind that the old rs is a good bit lighter than a wrx, so throwing a stock wrx motor in there (which are very cheap used) with a stage 2 type package will build you a very reliable, fast, fun car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.