Oh noes!!! Teh Cobaliers are coming!!11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oh noes!!! Teh Cobaliers are coming!!11 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So today I had encounters with two new Cobalts (not SS) and they both were driving aggressively/revving/etc. I found this ...

I Support ClubWRX

Oh noes!!! Teh Cobaliers are coming!!11

So today I had encounters with two new Cobalts (not SS) and they both were driving aggressively/revving/etc. I found this hilarious because 1.) They suck 2.) We were in rush hour traffic 3.) It looked like one of the drivers actually recognized my car and THEN revved at me. Normally even the ricers have no clue what a WRX wagon is.

Good times.

Anyone else had excitement with the new Cobalier - SS or not?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm just waiting to eat one up. Maybe this weekend. No wait 12'' of snow saturday. hey anyone up for snow rally
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    hey anyone up for snow rally
    hellz yea!

Yeah I cant wait until some kid in a Cobalt "Super Sport" revs at me. I'll show him what a wagon can do.
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

if you cant find one, find a saturn ion redline, its the same car. and yes they are slow
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44
    if you cant find one, find a saturn ion redline, its the same car. and yes they are slow
    not as slow as you think

the SS version will walk a stock wrx pretty hard on the highway. Even a TBE rex would have trouble pulling on it at high speeds. they trap 98mph in most mags. thats nothing to roll your eyes at, especially since all you need is a pully and full exhaust and I am sure you will be running 13's and trapping higher than STi's.

You guys are much to critical of something you have no idea about... and this is coming from someone who typically dislikes american cars.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Anyway this thread was about non-SS Cobalts and how they suck. I don't know much about the SS yet...other than it's a very expensive Cavalier that seems to have a decent top end and handling. If they all really do trap at 98mph stock, than us WRXers will just have to keep the race between 0 and about 80mph if we're stock.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd also love to show a cobelt teh wagon taillights.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    not as slow as you think

the SS version will walk a stock wrx pretty hard on the highway. Even a TBE rex would have trouble pulling on it at high speeds. they trap 98mph in most mags. thats nothing to roll your eyes at, especially since all you need is a pully and full exhaust and I am sure you will be running 13's and trapping higher than STi's.

You guys are much to critical of something you have no idea about... and this is coming from someone who typically dislikes american cars.

Your kidding right, there's only one mag thatís reviewed them and thatís motortrend, and they claim 0-60 in 6.0 and 14.5 quarter. Where as the GM the people that make the car say 0-60 in 6.4 and the quarter in 14.9 and a trap around 95mph, about the same as the redline. For some reason I'm not worried about a Saturn ion rip off that weighs a 100 pounds less.

The one they tested had the LSD that it doesn't even come standard with and will cost you 1k more. I some how doubt they will run 13s with just a SC pulley and exhaust, it's not like it's a TBE it won't gain that much. As long as the stock exhaust isn't to restrictive

I think the Cobalt SS is sorta cool and if they drop down the prices to like 17 to 18k it would be a pretty good bargin. But its not my style of car FWD = teh suck but it would be fun to race sometime.
    "WE RACE FOR EXCELLENCE" - SUBARU
    Bugeyed Mafia 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    Your kidding right, there's only one mag thatís reviewed them and thatís motortrend, and they claim 0-60 in 6.0 and 14.5 quarter. Where as the GM the people that make the car say 0-60 in 6.4 and the quarter in 14.9 and a trap around 95mph, about the same as the redline. For some reason I'm not worried about a Saturn ion rip off that weighs a 100 pounds less.

The one they tested had the LSD that it doesn't even come standard with and will cost you 1k more. I some how doubt they will run 13s with just a SC pulley and exhaust, it's not like it's a TBE it won't gain that much. As long as the stock exhaust isn't to restrictive
    GM tends to under-rate their performance orientated cars. I have no doubt that once Cobalt enthusiests get ahold of this car and learn to drive it right, there will be several running that time of 14.5. And if this car is modable like it should be, a couple sizes down on a pulley, a tbe, and intake should have this car in the higher 13's.
    Not only do they tend to under-rate their cars on performance times, but also on numbers. This can be seen with the redline. GM claims 200hp to the crank. Many guys are making numbers at about 190WHP. check out SSC when they reviewed the Ion redline. 197WHP from the car. http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ro...05scc_redline/ I would say thats pretty impressive. Also, they got a 95mph trap and only ran a 15.3 with the car. I have seen MANY redlines in the higher 14's and trapping around 97mph and I dont see why the cobalt would be any different.

Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    GM tends to under-rate their performance orientated cars. I have no doubt that once Cobalt enthusiests get ahold of this car and learn to drive it right, there will be several running that time of 14.5. And if this car is modable like it should be, a couple sizes down on a pulley, a tbe, and intake should have this car in the higher 13's.
    Not only do they tend to under-rate their cars on performance times, but also on numbers. This can be seen with the redline. GM claims 200hp to the crank. Many guys are making numbers at about 190WHP. check out SSC when they reviewed the Ion redline. 197WHP from the car. http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ro...05scc_redline/ I would say thats pretty impressive. Also, they got a 95mph trap and only ran a 15.3 with the car. I have seen MANY redlines in the higher 14's and trapping around 97mph and I dont see why the cobalt would be any different.

Yes and I expect the cobalt to run around the same as the redline, exact same tranny and engine. There was a review for the 05 redline and it ran a 0-60 of 6.2 and the quater in 14.9 at 95mph. The cobalt weighing a 100 pounds less can not be much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    Yes and I expect the cobalt to run around the same as the redline, exact same tranny and engine. There was a review for the 05 redline and it ran a 0-60 of 6.2 and the quater in 14.9 at 95mph. The cobalt weighing a 100 pounds less can not be much faster.
    The review you saw is by some guy who got ahold of the car and ran it down a track for a magazine. In the "real world" drivers who get to know their cars better, learn perfect shift points, etc... will run much better times usually. Car and driver runs 13.7's with WS6's and when a real enthusiest gets a hold of it, they are pulling low 13's all day long!
    as I said above, many redline owners are getting times of 14.7/14.8 and with the cobalt weighing in at nearly 150lbs less I can easily believe that it is running 14.5/14.6's. The car makes nearly 200whp and with how much it weighs there is no reason at all that it should not be making 1/4mile times of mid 14's
    Just call me Clark Kent

Here we go comparing dynos in a magazine

Anyways, I seriously doubt this thing is going to walk away from a wrx with any authority at any speed. Time will tell when people actually get a hold of them. The trap is only ok and the times are not impressive at all. BUY AN SRT 4. I don't even like SRT's but I wouldn't touch this SS unless it was considerably less $$ than an SRT 4. And it's not.

It's going to be expensive to mod this thing. I have a friend who had a GTP and he spent tons of money and ran what, a 13.6? Big deal, for $5k. Mid 13's is not fast after you spend $5K on mods or more. If you are going to do that with FWD car, get an SRT 4 and be in the low 12's/11's like silverscooby (I think that's him). It's just too hard to make a FWD car fast from a stop, let alone a supercharged one. FWD =

The only plus I see for the SS is the handling, supposedly it's really good. But you can get an evo for only slightly more than they are going to be charging for this thing. And how much worse could an Srt 4 be?
    My transmission hates me. So does my wife because of this car.

Quote Originally Posted by zambonidriver
    Here we go comparing dynos in a magazine

Anyways, I seriously doubt this thing is going to walk away from a wrx with any authority at any speed. Time will tell when people actually get a hold of them. The trap is only ok and the times are not impressive at all. BUY AN SRT 4. I don't even like SRT's but I wouldn't touch this SS unless it was considerably less $$ than an SRT 4. And it's not.

It's going to be expensive to mod this thing. I have a friend who had a GTP and he spent tons of money and ran what, a 13.6? Big deal, for $5k. Mid 13's is not fast after you spend $5K on mods or more. If you are going to do that with FWD car, get an SRT 4 and be in the low 12's/11's like silverscooby (I think that's him). It's just too hard to make a FWD car fast from a stop, let alone a supercharged one. FWD =

The only plus I see for the SS is the handling, supposedly it's really good. But you can get an evo for only slightly more than they are going to be charging for this thing. And how much worse could an Srt 4 be?
    If the Cobalt is truly trapping at 96-97mph, then it will walk a wrx with authority from a roll. My car traps 97-99mph and i know it will pull a wrx hard from 70mph and above so why wouldn't the cobalt?? Stock wrx's trap 92-93mph right??
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

Quote Originally Posted by fastwrx135
    If the Cobalt is truly trapping at 96-97mph, then it will walk a wrx with authority from a roll. My car traps 97-99mph and i know it will pull a wrx hard from 70mph and above so why wouldn't the cobalt?? Stock wrx's trap 92-93mph right??

No they trap 95mph.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.