Trading in the rex, what should i get? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Trading in the rex, what should i get? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SGOSWRX Not to get off target but its really weird how some cars (WRX, Z28s, etc) just ...

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    Not to get off target but its really weird how some cars (WRX, Z28s, etc) just have problems. I talked to a service tech at a Subaru dealer about WRX owners who have had tranny issues. Most of these WRX's are stock and never raced. The guys with lots of mods and known to be racers are not having the issues. I raced my 02 WRX almost every Friday night for 2 years. I have a stack of at least 200+ times slips. Plus I drove like a mad man on the street with dozens and dozens of hard drop clutch launches. All of this while running a stage 2 and later a stage 4 setup. My 02 WRX was still running perfect when I sold it. It still had the stock clutch, tranny, etc. Go figure.

My LS1 z28 on the other hand gave me constant troubles. That car constantly needed things done to it.I had to have the tranny rebuilt 3 times in a very short period of time. I eventually had to sell it. I hated getting rid of it but it was the best thing I could have done. That car was constanly in the shop and cost me a fortune to keep up. So I feel your pain. Not all cars are created equal. Many times its not the driver its the car.
    I think it's because anyone going over stage 2 isn't going to bring their car back to the dealership after they break 2nd gear, and go "look, I'm running 300whp and I broke my tranny" and expect them to fix it.

If I break it, I won't even bother. If you are stage 2 (light mods) it's really easy to go back to stock and try to at least have SOA take a look at it. I'm not pulling my turbo and injectors and all that other crap to have them tell me to take a walk, which I know they would anyways. I witnessed the owner of a local shop talking to the owner of a neighboring subaru dealership and telling him about the rampant tranny failures, and the guy was shocked. He obviously tried to defend the car and brand, but he had no idea or was playing dumb.

SOA sucks but I don't expect them to fix my car after running 100+ whp over stock. I have seen cars in local speed shops with broken transmissions, heavily modded, and none tried to get their car fixed by SOA. I can just picture them popping my hood at the dealership and laughing hysterically at my warranty claim. It gives me nightmares.

I'm honestly thinking of ditching this car just because of the possibility of transmission failure. Not everyone falls into this category but I bet alot of people who break their transmissions would have done so stock, modded, or even in another car because they beat on it or don't know how to drive it. I still think this transmission sucks, but I'm sure there is a human element here to that is contributing to all these failures. I had a 17 year old kid ask me at a gas station if I had any transmission problems. He told me he had to have his syncros replaced twice, and was shocked that I am almost 300whp and have had no problems (knocking on wood). People like that make you wonder if it really is the transmission or if it's the nut behind the wheel.

Anyways, I'm seriously considering a GTO or something just to avoid the sleepless nights. I have heard horror stories of STi engine failures, Evo tranny and clutch failures, anything and everything failing on wrx's. I think I'm almost done, I've had my fun but it's only a matter of time before I'm on here complaining about something breaking. I think I'm just going to build a factory 5 cobra that will kill anything on the street for 25k and call it a day.
    My transmission hates me. So does my wife because of this car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know its not one of your options but how about a new BMW M-5
    Or if you wanted to step down a bit how about a M-3.... haha
    The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
    --
    Provehito In Altum

+1 for the TL. Acura makes reliable cars. My mommys got a tl and its fast as hell. I think its 2003 or 2004 year.
    No Ecuses Racing

lol, READ THE DAMN THREAD GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is looking in the under $20,000 range.

Azion: what about an 03' RSX-S like I mentioned above. does it HAVE TO be 4door?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I hear ya Zambonidriver... I have an '02 and my mileage is only 16k so I don't think I've reached the point yet where things that might fail will start failing and it's kind of scary...

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

Quote Originally Posted by zambonidriver
    I think it's because anyone going over stage 2 isn't going to bring their car back to the dealership after they break 2nd gear, and go "look, I'm running 300whp and I broke my tranny" and expect them to fix it.

If I break it, I won't even bother. If you are stage 2 (light mods) it's really easy to go back to stock and try to at least have SOA take a look at it. I'm not pulling my turbo and injectors and all that other crap to have them tell me to take a walk, which I know they would anyways. I witnessed the owner of a local shop talking to the owner of a neighboring subaru dealership and telling him about the rampant tranny failures, and the guy was shocked. He obviously tried to defend the car and brand, but he had no idea or was playing dumb.

SOA sucks but I don't expect them to fix my car after running 100+ whp over stock. I have seen cars in local speed shops with broken transmissions, heavily modded, and none tried to get their car fixed by SOA. I can just picture them popping my hood at the dealership and laughing hysterically at my warranty claim. It gives me nightmares.

I'm honestly thinking of ditching this car just because of the possibility of transmission failure. Not everyone falls into this category but I bet alot of people who break their transmissions would have done so stock, modded, or even in another car because they beat on it or don't know how to drive it. I still think this transmission sucks, but I'm sure there is a human element here to that is contributing to all these failures. I had a 17 year old kid ask me at a gas station if I had any transmission problems. He told me he had to have his syncros replaced twice, and was shocked that I am almost 300whp and have had no problems (knocking on wood). People like that make you wonder if it really is the transmission or if it's the nut behind the wheel.

Anyways, I'm seriously considering a GTO or something just to avoid the sleepless nights. I have heard horror stories of STi engine failures, Evo tranny and clutch failures, anything and everything failing on wrx's. I think I'm almost done, I've had my fun but it's only a matter of time before I'm on here complaining about something breaking. I think I'm just going to build a factory 5 cobra that will kill anything on the street for 25k and call it a day.
    I know how you feel as well. My car is only stageII and my dealership is pretty cool about mods. They have already fixed 2 recalls, and I went in there with a TBE at the time and the guy says he doesnt care as long as the problem did not happen BECAUSE of the mods. I am still scared though.. I bought the extended bumper to bumper that lasts until 65k miles and I am scared to sh!t that my trans is going to go bad and when I bring it in they are going to deny me and I am stuck with a broken car and a $2000+ bill
    I have considered selling the car for something more reliable and with better service, but I what I will make off my car VS what I owe wont leave me much money for nice car.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I will vote for the accord, those things have great and scary topend. Not that great from a stop but they will surprise some people from a roll. Although I'm not a big honda fan (but I do love and acknowledge that they are probably the best made car out there) I still think the bigger Vtec's are fun to drive. I had a type R back in the day, it was fun but too erratic. The new RSX -s is compared to the old type r. The accord is much more civil but still fun. I'm just not a Nissan fan.

DTR, I noticed you are from Chicago, me too. I have been to dealerships around here to get parts, and they don't like mods in general so I'm really leery of bringing my car in for anything. I just don't. It's really not worth bringing your car there, even for the free oil change offers since you should be putting in synthetic anyways.
    My transmission hates me. So does my wife because of this car.

I never really hear anyone talk about VW's R32. Which surprises me because that thing has some serious good looks and is a monster on the highway. Not to mention the power you can get out of the motor with a few mods. But I guess you could get something faster for 30,000.

Corbra kit car = good flippin idea
    leaving wife and buying a real corbra= even better flippin idea

R32 is nice, but probably the most expensive per cubic foot. its too tiny for that kinda dough. great powertrain though

Things i have learned about the 2002 Maxima:

All 5.5 generation feature
    3.5L VQ motor, one of the best mills ever put into a production car.
    Xenon Headlights Standard. nice huh?
    GLE and SE can be had with heated seats, and heated steering wheel (great for chicago)
    26mpg highway
    97mph trap speed (hearty topend acceleration)
    Great stereo (GLE + SE)
    Sunroof (wish my suby had one)
    Most expensive common problem: MAF (400 bucks), O2 sensors (160 bucks)

Cons: FWD!, few MT's fully loaded, poor turning radius, open diff (exept MT), Solid axle rear suspension.

This weekend i will test an 02 TL-S, and a maxima. Tuesday the car goes back to stock. So if anyone is lookin for an accessport or bosal DP, i can set you up with one up in a week or so.
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

let me know how much your asking for the bosal exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44
    R32 is nice, but probably the most expensive per cubic foot. its too tiny for that kinda dough. great powertrain though

Things i have learned about the 2002 Maxima:

All 5.5 generation feature
    3.5L VQ motor, one of the best mills ever put into a production car.
    Xenon Headlights Standard. nice huh?
    GLE and SE can be had with heated seats, and heated steering wheel (great for chicago)
    26mpg highway
    97mph trap speed (hearty topend acceleration)
    Great stereo (GLE + SE)
    Sunroof (wish my suby had one)
    Most expensive common problem: MAF (400 bucks), O2 sensors (160 bucks)

Cons: FWD!, few MT's fully loaded, poor turning radius, open diff (exept MT), Solid axle rear suspension.

This weekend i will test an 02 TL-S, and a maxima. Tuesday the car goes back to stock. So if anyone is lookin for an accessport or bosal DP, i can set you up with one up in a week or so.

Apparently these xenon headlights are being stolen from the Maximas everywhere!
    Be careful!

yea, ive heard about the theft problems over on maxima.org I live in an area where it isnt of much concern. However if i wind up with a max, im gonna install the antitheft kit, (replaces philips screws with torqx set),

and im not selling the bosal exhaust, just the shorty downpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44
    Well, 3,000 miles after my RA set, third gear grinding is becoming regular. Rallispec suspects a faulty thrid gear synchro. I refuse to put any more money into this car. It has a fuel leak at low temps (20<), and burns oil for a few seconds on startup. I also probably need a clutch in the near future.

Basically, its time to get rid of the rex. Its been a really really fun two years. but my rex is anything but reliable. No car has been entertaining, and AWD launches and donuts are an experience that every enthusiast should enjoy a couple times.

Question: what should i trade it in for? my ultimate goal is reliablilty, then heated leather seats, then performance (great motor)

V6 Accord
    Maxima
    TL, or TL type S
    Jetta 1.8t, or VR6 (nice interior,
    Volvo V70 (wagon!)

All can be had for near the trade value of my rex. Any imput would be great. I ruled out the SRT4 because it doesnt have power windows. Ill miss my rex, but not the bills she leaves me with.
    Get an Evo!!
    2005 Electric Blue Mitsubishi Evolution VIII,
    2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII
    Helix Catback
    Helix Downpipe
    Ultimate Racing test pipe
    Txs Mbc
    Greddy Type-s bov

www.myspace.com/evil_evo_viii
    www.mitsubishiunited.com
    2004 Subaru Wrx-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I know how you feel as well. My car is only stageII and my dealership is pretty cool about mods. They have already fixed 2 recalls, and I went in there with a TBE at the time and the guy says he doesnt care as long as the problem did not happen BECAUSE of the mods. I am still scared though.. I bought the extended bumper to bumper that lasts until 65k miles and I am scared to sh!t that my trans is going to go bad and when I bring it in they are going to deny me and I am stuck with a broken car and a $2000+ bill
    I have considered selling the car for something more reliable and with better service, but I what I will make off my car VS what I owe wont leave me much money for nice car.
    hey what dealership do you go to?

evo is out of my price range, and well out of the reliability range

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.