Trading in the rex, what should i get? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Trading in the rex, what should i get? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know a guy with an 03 wagon that beats the crap out of it. It has about 50000 miles ...

I know a guy with an 03 wagon that beats the crap out of it. It has about 50000 miles on it and the only thing he had to replace so far is the clutch. You must really push that thing heh? Anyways my vote would go for the TL or a 05 legacy turbo, if those dont do it for ya I dont know what will.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i do beat the snot out of the car, but i take all the necessary steps for good maint. i believe i just have a bit of bad luck as well. this 3000 mile old synchro is really pissin me off... Rallispec wants me to take it back to em. Im not taking a week off work to drive out there, stay and drive back. Its a great little car, i wish it didnt have the issues it has.

ive had the car for 3 years, yet its been out of operation for 5 months, and i dont wanna have any more downtime.

I dont know how im gonna live without a turbo
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

t
    get the TL or a x-type jag they are going for real low my friend just picked one up for 20,000 flat and its awd too i believe. Not sure about reliability but

I have grown to be quite similar to what you want out of a car, so I feel my input might be worth something to you since I have driven and messed with all the cars I am about to mention.

1) 2k2/2k3 6speed Maxima -- the 5.5 generation maxima is a really nice car. As I am sure you know, they come fully equiped with leather, heated seats, moonroof, etc... For the 2k3 they have a titanium edition which pretty much means fancy door cills, navi, different leather color options and little stuff like that. I have owned 2 maximas and cant say enough about how well rounded of a mid-size sedan they are for the money. Only problem is that there have been minor issues with them recently. Nothing to serious, but little stuff like sensors (common problem in 4th and 5th gen maxima's) and some people have some tranny problems with the auto... but I assume you would go 6spd anyways. not to mention the 6spd manual has HLSD.
    they dont handle the best, but its not bad for what kind of car it is. In MT form they ran anywhere from 14.4-14.8 on average and have good topend pull. All it takes is a $200 Ypipe, an intake, and a catback to make another 25whp. the VQ motor in it has won wards best engine award since the first year its been out. (10 years)

2) Jetta/GTi 1.8T -- Nice cars. They have a lot to offer with a nice interior, strong engine and good looks. Stock, the GTi feels strong, but the Jetta is not that impressive. All it take though is a chip, intake, exhaust and you have made about 40whp and still get ride in luxury... obvious drawback is the fact that they tend to be unreliable.
    low 15's stock and mid to low 14's with basic bolt on's with the 1.8T. not to mention very nice spoolup/torque and very good topend.

3) Acura CL-s. Kind of like the coupe version of the maxima. Leather, heated seats, sunroof, etc, are pretty much standard on this car. Has good looks and is quite classy looking. Handling is not bad and with basic suspension mods I hear it completely changes the car. They have a nice pulling 6cylinder that makes very good topend and feels awesome when paired with the very slick and refined 6speed Manual trans. There are not too many reliability issues I know of, and I have driven one of them a couple of times and they are a very nice car for a performance/refined coupe. They typically are capable of the same times as the maxima. Good drivers get times of 14.3's and average drivers pull off 14.5-14.8
    Comptech makes an exhaust, intake, header combo for this car that really wakes it up if you are interested in modding.

Personally I would look between the Maxima and the CL-S. Maxima will have a more torquey motor and is 4door, but the CL-S looks better, handles better, and has better topend and reliability. Test drive both and see what you like. If 4 doors is not that importatant the CL-S sounds like it would really suit you.
    Last edited by DTR rex; 01-20-2005 at 12:27 PM.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

thanks DTR, good imput. 02 maxima is winning me over the more i read. my first choice is MT, but i wont rule out an auto because my track days and gearbanging are over since i broke my first tranny in the rex. The TL/CL - S is a sweet ride but S owners experience alot of tranny failures.

Anzioblack44, all your choices are great but why settle for these FWD cars? With the exception of the Jetta, all these cars are big and heavy, and after having a car relatively lighter, these will feel like boats and not necessarily fun to drive. Sure they can be modded, but why bother when you're looking for a ride with a decent motor? By the way, avoid the Jetta.

Since you're looking at a V70, I would suggest this or other Volvo products like the S60 which is also offered with AWD, or the new S40 which is a bit smaller but looks and performs better than before (T5 version w/AWD). You'll get extremely comfortable seats and all the options you need already included.

If you want to/can wait a little longer, you might want to look at the Mazdaspeed 6 (260hp, turbocharged all-wheel-drive).

I would recommend RWD because it's probably the most fun of the three, but the prices will start going up. Even the cheapest Bimmers and Benzos will be somewhere between 28K and pretty weak in the power department.

I know,
    Gian - '06 Aspen White STi
    My site.

BMW 330ci. I like them alot. Xi is AWD. although they aren't performers. I mean if you are looking at a TL you might as well get an STI or EVO. Because You will regret getting spanked by one owning a TL
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by onoitsaWRX
    Anzioblack44, all your choices are great but why settle for these FWD cars? With the exception of the Jetta, all these cars are big and heavy, and after having a car relatively lighter, these will feel like boats and not necessarily fun to drive. Sure they can be modded, but why bother when you're looking for a ride with a decent motor? By the way, avoid the Jetta.

Since you're looking at a V70, I would suggest this or other Volvo products like the S60 which is also offered with AWD, or the new S40 which is a bit smaller but looks and performs better than before (T5 version w/AWD). You'll get extremely comfortable seats and all the options you need already included.

If you want to/can wait a little longer, you might want to look at the Mazdaspeed 6 (260hp, turbocharged all-wheel-drive).

I would recommend RWD because it's probably the most fun of the three, but the prices will start going up. Even the cheapest Bimmers and Benzos will be somewhere between 28K and pretty weak in the power department.

I know,

The maxima is not slow and heavy. They only weigh about 3300lbs and make 255hp which is not bad at all. My 4th gen max was less than 100lbs more than my wrx is.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    BMW 330ci. I like them alot. Xi is AWD. although they aren't performers. I mean if you are looking at a TL you might as well get an STI or EVO. Because You will regret getting spanked by one owning a TL
    I think by TL he meant the last gen. He is looking between $18-20k he said. A used Evo is close to that ($22k used) but its not even remotely refined or luxurious and tends to have reliability issues (2 things that are quite important to him it seems)
    Just call me Clark Kent

18 grand guys, no bimmer, no EVO, no STi. im buying used (trading in). there arent that many awd sports cars that are known to be reliable... i know that front wheel drive sucks, but im too lazy to swap snow tires back and forth, so no matter what i drive, its gonna suck in the snow.

im talking honda reliable... no more modding, no more racing... point A to point B with a little bit of adrenaline. i barely go over 80 since going to stage II

ive done all that, broken this, broken that. as much as i hate to say it, due to awful experiences with SOA, ill never own another subaru, and I love the Evo but i know ill mod it, and break stuff...

The S/V 70 T5 really is an incredible car. My best friend had an 850 GLT wagon, and it genuinely hauled arse.

as far as performance, as long as the car gets up to speed quickly and traps above 90 im cool with it.

Not to get off target but its really weird how some cars (WRX, Z28s, etc) just have problems. I talked to a service tech at a Subaru dealer about WRX owners who have had tranny issues. Most of these WRX's are stock and never raced. The guys with lots of mods and known to be racers are not having the issues. I raced my 02 WRX almost every Friday night for 2 years. I have a stack of at least 200+ times slips. Plus I drove like a mad man on the street with dozens and dozens of hard drop clutch launches. All of this while running a stage 2 and later a stage 4 setup. My 02 WRX was still running perfect when I sold it. It still had the stock clutch, tranny, etc. Go figure.

My LS1 z28 on the other hand gave me constant troubles. That car constantly needed things done to it.I had to have the tranny rebuilt 3 times in a very short period of time. I eventually had to sell it. I hated getting rid of it but it was the best thing I could have done. That car was constanly in the shop and cost me a fortune to keep up. So I feel your pain. Not all cars are created equal. Many times its not the driver its the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44
    ...as much as i hate to say it, due to awful experiences with SOA, ill never own another subaru, and I love the Evo but i know ill mod it, and break stuff...
    That's a fact I'm currently having to face.

SOA sucks!!!
    2002 Subaru WRX JBP

0-60? Oh hell yeah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by I8urSRT4
    That's a fact I'm currently having to face.

SOA sucks!!!
    +1. If I am buying a car, I expected to be treated well and SOA and many dealerships do not do this. I have been acura and infinity dealers and the way the handle their customers is comparable to them being royalty.

Anzioblack44: does it have to be a 4door? if not, a used RSX-S might be a good choice. You can get an 03/04 for under $20,000 and they have nice interior, refined, honda reliability, and are great handling and quick cars. and they def. trap above 90mph as you noted you wanted above. they trap about 96 actually.
    Just call me Clark Kent

TL Type-S. Have you thought about a G35 SC?

Go with the Volvo V70R. They're turbo AWD and super sleepers. However, I don't know how much one would be.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

have u ever thought of getting a truck? toyota would be teh best one, reliable, good resale value, and it can be fun.

RANDi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast