Sneaky debadged GS-T (cool guy)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Sneaky debadged GS-T (cool guy) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Driving home from the Hamptons on Saturday just crusing along. In the left lane I see a 2nd Gen Eclipse ...

Thumbs up Sneaky debadged GS-T (cool guy)

Driving home from the Hamptons on Saturday just crusing along. In the left lane I see a 2nd Gen Eclipse with a N-1 type exhaust. Looking at it I'm thinking, silly kid with a fart pipe. I then look a little closer and I notice that his nice looking 3 inch muffler is attached to lots of SS piping under the car. On top of that I see that there is dark soot around the pipe. So I speed up and sure enough this car is runing nice and rich (ie. tuned for boost) and I noticed that his GS-T had the "T" taken off.

So I pull along side him and he looks over and we both smile and he punches it. At 60mhp my car is a dog becuase the VF30 is not really a top end turbo (that is in the process of changing) so I punch it also. His car kept up with me until 80mph where I started to pull away. I had to cut it off becuase traffic was in front of me. We slowed down and he rolled down his window and I yelled out turbo and we both started laughing. gave a friendly thumbs up and we went out ways.

Not really a kill but rather a fun run between two sleepers. ( If you only heard the insults I get with my car becuase it looks stock.)
    If you can't run fairly from a dig, take your rolls back to the bakery.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Techie
    Driving home from the Hamptons on Saturday just crusing along. In the left lane I see a 2nd Gen Eclipse with a N-1 type exhaust. Looking at it I'm thinking, silly kid with a fart pipe. I then look a little closer and I notice that his nice looking 3 inch muffler is attached to lots of SS piping under the car. On top of that I see that there is dark soot around the pipe. So I speed up and sure enough this car is runing nice and rich (ie. tuned for boost) and I noticed that his GS-T had the "T" taken off.

So I pull along side him and he looks over and we both smile and he punches it. At 60mhp my car is a dog becuase the VF30 is not really a top end turbo (that is in the process of changing) so I punch it also. His car kept up with me until 80mph where I started to pull away. I had to cut it off becuase traffic was in front of me. We slowed down and he rolled down his window and I yelled out turbo and we both started laughing. gave a friendly thumbs up and we went out ways.

Not really a kill but rather a fun run between two sleepers. ( If you only heard the insults I get with my car becuase it looks stock.)
    nice kill. I had a buddy that was running a "stock-ish" looking full 3" exhaust and a few more bolt on's. His car looked completely stock and he also pulled the "T" off of the rear. His car was running low 14's and he suprised a lot of people with it. It was pretty funny.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Talking Eclispes are fun!

I owned 2 in my life (1 caught on fire and the other 1 I spun into a ditch). Both were GSXs and became quite quick with stupid little upgrades. Only thing was that the 1G had a 3 bolt diff that would explode like our 1st gear does if you dump the clutch and hookup.
    If you can't run fairly from a dig, take your rolls back to the bakery.

I owned 2 in my life (1 caught on fire and the other 1 I spun into a ditch). Both were GSXs and became quite quick with stupid little upgrades. Only thing was that the 1G had a 3 bolt diff that would explode like our 1st gear does if you dump the clutch and hookup.
    I saw a GS-T catch on fire at Englishtown about 5 years ago. That was pretty scary.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

easy way to tell if those 2g's are boosted is look around the bottom of the car if its gray (not the color of the rest of the body) is either a GS-T or a GSX..but some owners paint em.. then you gotta watch out....
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Quote Originally Posted by Novtec1
    easy way to tell if those 2g's are boosted is look around the bottom of the car if its gray (not the color of the rest of the body) is either a GS-T or a GSX..but some owners paint em.. then you gotta watch out....
    Pretty sure that was a 95 and 96 thing. 97-99 they didn't have the gray.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX_02_227
    Pretty sure that was a 95 and 96 thing. 97-99 they didn't have the gray.

you're right it was a 95-96 thing..... theres a way you can tell with the 97-99 too.. but i forgot
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

On a 97-99, it's easy to tell from the front. The openings in the bumper (behind the fog lights) will either be blocked with a blank plate or they'll be completely open.

Open on driver's side = car is an automatic (trans cooler is behind that opening)

Open on passenger's side = car is a turbo (IC is back there)

Naturally, if they're both open it means it's a turbo automatic.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

You can also tell by the wheels/spoiler combo. On a 97-98 anything with a high-rise wing is turbo. If it has 16" wheels then it's a GS-T, 17" 10-sokes it's a GSX. The 99's are a little bit more tricky because there was a 10th anniversary "OZ Edition" GS that also came with the big spoiler. You can tell one of those because it has a 16" OZ wheels.

In order to be a sleeper, the car car has to be somewhat fast
    95 GSX - GT30R

Quote Originally Posted by John M
    On a 97-99, it's easy to tell from the front. The openings in the bumper (behind the fog lights) will either be blocked with a blank plate or they'll be completely open.

Open on driver's side = car is an automatic (trans cooler is behind that opening)

Open on passenger's side = car is a turbo (IC is back there)

Naturally, if they're both open it means it's a turbo automatic.
    Isn't that just a bit hard to see while driving?

Nah - the black plastic is pretty obvious. The car looks much better without them.

Then again, I've owned 8 DSMs since 1992 so it's easier for me
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

i raced 2 eclipses in my supra. One was a 1st generation, we were at a stop light and he didn't notice me i guess and i took him pretty hard off the line, then i hear this really rough noise comming from behind me and he is catching me pretty fast, at about 70mph he was gaining on me and would have passed me by 80mph, but we had to slow down, he got next to me and his car started to smoke, we pulled over and he blew something that had to do with the coolant, not sure if it was a headgasket, a line, or his radiator. He said his car should run 12s and he had an extra passenger, my supra ran a 13.9@103mph. The other eclipse i raced was a 2nd generation gsx. We raced from a light, once again he had an extra passenger, he got a car off the line and by the time i shifted into 3rd around 50mph i just blew right by him and gave im a wave, he did the ricer drive by at around 100mph after i slowed down.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.