Stg 1 WRX vs Mini S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stg 1 WRX vs Mini S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, Coming home tonight I ran into a Mini S. I came off a light at the bottom of ...

Stg 1 WRX vs Mini S

Hey guys,

Coming home tonight I ran into a Mini S. I came off a light at the bottom of second gear going like 10 mph. He took off and I followed. We ran up to the top of third (~90 mph). I thought I would rip past him and it never happened. I gained a few feet but not much and I was trailing the whole time. The worst thing is it looked stock. I hope he had some mods. Does anyone know what one of these traps (I didn't launch thinking it wouldn't be an issue)

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

they are pretty quick and light, maybe u got the supercharged one.
    Yea tru love we can find ourselves
    I call our true identies
    Love ya brudda love ya sista
    Love everyone...the univeral sign
    Ill take it from here

Quote Originally Posted by creditcards
    Supercharged one is only 170hp to the crank. Maybe he was modded??
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

i thought it was like 200hp.
    Yea tru love we can find ourselves
    I call our true identies
    Love ya brudda love ya sista
    Love everyone...the univeral sign
    Ill take it from here

Quote Originally Posted by creditcards
    Well he did say it was an S....
    And no, they don't have 200 hp, BMW/Mini rates it at 168.

well its fwd (less drivetrain loss), your awd (most drivetrain loss), wrx isnt known for its greatness of racing from a roll. The mini is also a couple hundred lbs. less.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Works package I think brings it up to 200hp and I know some people have modded them way beyond that. There's a dude in Tempe that has a really mean Mini that sounds like a neutered '03 Cobra that looks really fast. I guess with some mods they'd be able to give a mostly stock WRX a good run.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    have you guys read about the guy who put a v-tec in a mini in car and driver? he runs a 13.6.
    uncle lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

Quote Originally Posted by dan240
    Hey guys,

Coming home tonight I ran into a Mini S. I came off a light at the bottom of second gear going like 10 mph. He took off and I followed. We ran up to the top of third (~90 mph). I thought I would rip past him and it never happened. I gained a few feet but not much and I was trailing the whole time. The worst thing is it looked stock. I hope he had some mods. Does anyone know what one of these traps (I didn't launch thinking it wouldn't be an issue)

Thanks,
    Stock Mini Cooper S = 170hp

Mini Cooper S with John Cooper Works Package (adds about $5k) = 200hp

Stock Mini Cooper S's put about 160hp to the wheels. The trap around 89-93, which is comparable to a stock WRX. Couple that with a light weight of 2700lbs, well-geared 6 speed and lower drivetrain losses (FWD vs. AWD) and it doesn't surprise me. I've test driven one and it did feel about as fast as my WRX on the roll. Add to that, you were unfortunate enough to be in 2nd gear at 10mph. Race from the dig and you'll beat him no problem.
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by dan240
    Hey guys,

Thanks,

I'm surprised you couldn't reel him in with that utec adding another 35whp to your car....
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

that's strange, i ran into one in denver one night with a custom race scheme paint job. You could hear the whine of the supercharger, they sound sweet. But we walked him from a roll every time. Pulling at least 3 or 4 carlengths by 60. Roll was from about 20mph.

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    In a couple years these might be putting up much more of a fight. The 2007 model year is due to have a Puegot engine with a turbo setup. Not gonna be much more power stock, but being a turbo setup makes it quite a bit more upgradeable. Should be fun. These cars handle incredibly well. The only things that made me get the WRX over the Mini S was cargo space and AWD. Everything about these cars is better in every way, in my opinion. Well, except they are kinda wussy power wise, but not too bad. I was amazed at the how well it stuck to the road, even with the heavy ass runflats they come with. There are also rumors (gotten from Mini2.com, and excellent site for New Mini enthusiasts, much like clubrex is for subbies) of a 5 door version (4 and a hatch) and also that AWD may eventually come into the picture (meaning 2010), in addition to a sportster version too, which may or may not get a V6. All very interesting stuff, and all being drawn from the classic Mini heritage.

In the meantime, there are definetly some mods out there that will gain power fairly quickly for these suckers. They have a pulley wheel mod for the SC that adds 20hp instantly, plus a Cold Air Intake that'll add about 5hp, plus full exhaust which is good for another 10-20hp, plus ECU reflashes that'll add another 10-20 hp. Plus the fact that you get instant power with the SC, makes a fairly competitive little car. Far as I can tell, taking the 170hp it starts with, throw in the conservative estimates for hp gains of the mods, and you get 210hp car that weighs significantly less then ours, and only has to put its power to the front two wheels. Get it on the twisties, and its totally gone. Its got a great little 6 speed gearbox too, which is great.

There are a few 300+hp Mini S's out there too, such as the Mini Mania test car, but they are fairly extensively modded aka engine rebuilds, new cams, and the like. The guy does well at races though, and he drives the car to the race from his shop, so its still daily driveable. Quite fun. Guess the moral of the story is, just because its small, doesn't mean its not competitive. I suppose most of you knew this, but maybe weren't giving the Mini its due. I may just have to purchase one when the new Turbo version comes out. Definetly give these some credit, as they are our Boxer brothers.

JH

J-H
    I ran one on the highway couple weeks ago...forgot to post it...

Anyway, a girl driving, I had a passenger and I am cobb stage 2. We started to play and we were pretty much dead even or I was slowly, but VERY slowly inching on her...

Speeds were in the triple digits and I was in awe...that little thing moved so fast....I was in disbelief....WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gained more respect for them. I had driven one, in town, and they sounded really cool (SC whine sounds like and electric motor). Did not pull as hard from a stop, but I guess on the highway that thing just took off.....

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

One of my friends has a Mini cooper, it is not the S its the regular one and its an auto. The interior looks and feels very dated for some reason, the seats are horribly uncomfortable the ride is very rough and it makes all kinds of squeeks and clunks, the power is soo bad that the car is constantly shifting to get enough power to accelerate. When she first got the car i thought it was a neat looking little car, and its still neat looking, but after i went for a road trip in it, i came to the conclusion that there is nothing nice about the car except the way it looks from the outside, i am not sure how much different the S model is as far as the interior but the base model seemed really cheap to me. I was expecting alot more from this car since its a BMW and i don't bash on cars unless i really dislike them, this car was very disappointing to me.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    The Mini S is a decent step up in peformance, but I think it retains the same interior, or at least its very similar. The base Mini is much less powerful, and the auto is one of those belt drive variable ones or something, so it might feel a little wierd. You also can't really consider these BMW, as they aren't really. There is talk of seperating the brands further too. While they were designed by BMW, they are made in the Land Rover factory, and sold in non-BMW dealerships for the most part. Considering how much the base Mini costs, its interior is pretty damn nice. Those retail for around $15k, so you kinda get what you pay for. The Mini S retails for more around $22k, and it shows, in power and performance. It does feel a bit dated inside, but thats the point. Its supposed to feel a bit vintage.

To the fellow JH, I bet its the fact that the SC kicks in right away that gotcha on the highway. The opponent might have modded some too. Not sure, should have at least inched away, assuming you were trying to race (ya know, drop it to 4th and the like).

The other JH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast