Stg 1 WRX vs Mini S - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Stg 1 WRX vs Mini S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem The Mini S is a decent step up in peformance, but I think it retains the ...

Quote Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem
    The Mini S is a decent step up in peformance, but I think it retains the same interior, or at least its very similar. The base Mini is much less powerful, and the auto is one of those belt drive variable ones or something, so it might feel a little wierd. You also can't really consider these BMW, as they aren't really. There is talk of seperating the brands further too. While they were designed by BMW, they are made in the Land Rover factory, and sold in non-BMW dealerships for the most part. Considering how much the base Mini costs, its interior is pretty damn nice. Those retail for around $15k, so you kinda get what you pay for. The Mini S retails for more around $22k, and it shows, in power and performance. It does feel a bit dated inside, but thats the point. Its supposed to feel a bit vintage.

To the fellow JH, I bet its the fact that the SC kicks in right away that gotcha on the highway. The opponent might have modded some too. Not sure, should have at least inched away, assuming you were trying to race (ya know, drop it to 4th and the like).

The other JH
    Yeah my overall opinion of the base model mini is they put alot of time on the exterior and little time on the interior, my wrx has a nicer interior both me and my gf agree on that. The mini def has a more thought out exterior and its more stylish, but i just thought the interior and those fake leather seats were horrible.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i was looking into getting one after the Italian Job came out, but glad i bought the Rex i have a friend who has one, never raced but their weight is what makes it fast, some are even less weight than this..

WRX
    Curb Weight - 3,085 lbs

Mini cooper S - 1.6L I-4 170 HP
    Curb Weight - 2,679 lbs

difference of 406lbs

from carsdirect.com
    www.kiowapilots.com

whats up guys...i should have visited this thread earlier but i just saw it...i work for bmw/MINI and i have as much experience behinde the wheel of a MINI cooper S as i do behinde my WRX....first off i gotta say for the money the MCS offers alot more in options...for the 26k spent on a wrx you could have gotten an MCS (about 2700lbs 168hp (upped 5 hp from 02-04) and a very very nicely geared getrag 6speed) with leather seats, sunroof, climetcontrol AC, on-board computer, cruise w/ audio controls, xenon HID headlights, upgradded 17" wheels, DSC (dynamic stability control), front foglights, heated front seats, heated side mirrors and washer jets, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming rearview mirror, harmen kardon sound system...and for another $1700 you can get a DVD based nav system...my wrx has cruise, upgraded stereo (has nothing on the HK system) and auto dimming mirror...yes it also has AWD and a 2.0 turbo charged motor but thats why i bought it...but for people that are much more into creature comforts and things i can see why they would consider the MINI...from a preformance perspective the MCS has alot of pep...the wrx is faster than a MCS though 3rd gear but once your in fourth ide guess it would run dead even with a stock MCS on the highway...also the JCW kit (john cooper works- new head, supercharger & pully, spark plugs, exhaust, ecu tune, fuel injectors) will edge out a wrx on the highway....no doubt in my mind...and its upped to 210hp for 2005 (addition of the ecu tune and injectors)...and these cars handle very very nicely - very low center of gravity, wheels are at the furthest corners of the car, and a very wide stance...also one of my fave features on the MINI is its turning ratio of the steering wheel...you can go from lock to lock almost without having to take your hands off of the wheel and that makes it extremly responsive...that how they get that "go-kart like handeling"....plus there are 6 airbags in the hardtops so they do have a very good saftey rating...if your into drag racing then deffiently dont get a MINI...only so much you can do with that tiny 4cyl...but if your into autocross the MINI is the perfect car .02

one word: Reliability! Have you seen reliability ratings lately for almost ALL European cars? I know Europe has given us some great cars but they have allowed America to essentially slide into number 2 behind the japanese in the reliability ratings game and Mini is no exception! Made in the Land Rover factories? As of last year, (and I know some don't buy there reviews) Consumer Reports called Land Rover the LEAST reliable car in the world, just in front of the VW Passat! Take it for what you want, but I would take my all wheel drive Subaru over a Mini any day...and I even love the exterior of the Mini!
    2004 WRX Sedan (SRR...Premium) SOLD

2012 WRX Plasma Blue 5-door

"Dude, the Chinaman is not the issue here. We're talking about unchecked agression here."

they can be pretty freakin fast with the right mods, and they will look and sound pretty well stock. also, they handle really, really well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12