My C6 vs stage 2 WRX...IN THE RAIN... just playing around!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on My C6 vs stage 2 WRX...IN THE RAIN... just playing around! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My friend has a Cobb stage 2 '04 making around 230 WHP (?) and just for sh!ts and giggles we ...

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar

My C6 vs stage 2 WRX...IN THE RAIN... just playing around!

My friend has a Cobb stage 2 '04 making around 230 WHP (?) and just for sh!ts and giggles we decided to play around tonight in the rain. Well, it wasn't exactly "raining", but the ground was very wet...

I caught up to him and we both hit it from a roll of about 40 up to about 80 when I shut down. It was no real contest, even though I was spinning tire all through 2nd, left him about 4-5 cars behind. Then we went from a dig. I was kind of supprised to see that even with his AWD launch (~3500-4000 rpm), and my 1500 rpm feather, it was about even until the top of 1st gear. I spun all through 1st and grabed 2nd about 2 cars ahead of him, got a little sloppy in the rear, and then pulled like a SOB and shut down ~8 cars ahead.

What really supprised me is that my car has poop for traction and I managed to keep with him through the launch. If it was a better driver or if he had a little more power, I think he would have pulled a little harder off the line... I have been so afraid of running this car from a dig against an AWD car, and this puts me a little at ease I guess. I am still planning on getting stickier tires for the summer, though, because I will need it to hang with some of the nastier EVOs and STis around here... I will be heading to the dyno this spring after the header/ exhaust install for a baseline and gains. There is a lot to learn going from AWD to RWD and I can't wait 'till the spring...

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

umm.......yeah. still hating you.

j/k have fun w/ that beast. look forward to hearing kill stories from ya in it
    I'm TheBoostCreep, and I approved this message.

So when does the supercharger got put on?
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

I so envy you right now. This is how I feel about your C6 til I get one of my own to play with...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bush_flipping_finger_animated.gif  
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

youre a bully.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW
    My friend has a Cobb stage 2 '04 making around 230 WHP (?) and just for sh!ts and giggles we decided to play around tonight in the rain. Well, it wasn't exactly "raining", but the ground was very wet...

I caught up to him and we both hit it from a roll of about 40 up to about 80 when I shut down. It was no real contest, even though I was spinning tire all through 2nd, left him about 4-5 cars behind. Then we went from a dig. I was kind of supprised to see that even with his AWD launch (~3500-4000 rpm), and my 1500 rpm feather, it was about even until the top of 1st gear. I spun all through 1st and grabed 2nd about 2 cars ahead of him, got a little sloppy in the rear, and then pulled like a SOB and shut down ~8 cars ahead.

What really supprised me is that my car has poop for traction and I managed to keep with him through the launch. If it was a better driver or if he had a little more power, I think he would have pulled a little harder off the line... I have been so afraid of running this car from a dig against an AWD car, and this puts me a little at ease I guess. I am still planning on getting stickier tires for the summer, though, because I will need it to hang with some of the nastier EVOs and STis around here... I will be heading to the dyno this spring after the header/ exhaust install for a baseline and gains. There is a lot to learn going from AWD to RWD and I can't wait 'till the spring...

You put 8 cars lengths on a mid 13 second awd car from a dig with a mid 12 second rwd car in the rain? Hmmmm
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    You put 8 cars lengths on a mid 13 second awd car from a dig with a mid 12 second rwd car in the rain? Hmmmm
    Hmmmm what? The WRX didn't outlaunch him, so that negates the only advantage it would have had. Didn't say how fast they took it up to either. 1 second difference at the 1/4 mile mark is about 10 car lengths... So 7-8 car lengths from a dig sounds plausible, depending on when they both let off...

The traction control in my F-body sucks for maximizing acceleration, but the new generation setup in the C6's are way improved and do allow for some slippage. Was this with stability control/traction control activated or switched off?

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

It's a sin to speak of winning a race on a wet road in Subaru forums like this .

Everything sounds legit. Good Kill and be safe.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Man I don't get it. I just do not see how a c6 can hang with a stg2 wrx in the rain. It must have been very light rain then.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

Hey Southpaw....

You gonna be ready for me in the summer...Well have to meet up somewhere ...

Just remember no matter what my hp you will have the aerodynamic advantage.

Bully Kill....my fav.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

First line, he described the pavement as being wet, and not really raining. Wouldn't make a difference really, unless there was standing water.

The new C6's have a HUGE contact patch for their rear tires. I believe they are 295 mm wide for the tires, and 19" wheels. Not sure what the overall diameter of the tire is, though, so the front to rear contact patch of the rear tires is a question mark. I think it's easy to assume, however, it's much larger than that of a WRX's rear tires, but still somewhat less than all 4 of a WRX's typical 205/55/16 tires. So in straightline acceleration, the C6 may still have a surprising amount of grip given the sheer size and grippy nature of their tires. Some pavement types have more traction than others when wet or dry, also, so that's another variable.

Harnessing that power to the rear wheels when turns are introduced is a different story altogether, however.

That's how I'd explain it if I had to.

Of note: On Wed night, I watched a new C6 with a set of modified C5 headers and a homemade cold air kit dyno 405 rwhp. Or about 50 hp more than stock... This was over at Speed Inc www.ls1speed.com in Schaumburg IL. Sounded BAD-ASS!!!
    Last edited by Dan00Hawk; 01-14-2005 at 01:44 PM.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I am still planning on getting stickier tires for the summer, though, because I will need it to hang with some of the nastier EVOs and STis around here... I will be heading to the dyno this spring after the header/ exhaust install for a baseline and gains. There is a lot to learn going from AWD to RWD and I can't wait 'till the spring...

...[/QUOTE]
    Fear the nasty Evo's and STi's Yeah can't wait for spring too.. I hate the winter.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Well..look at the facts:

230whp vs 350whp...

Rain, hail, sleet, snow....it should all yield the same result..
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13secwrx
    Well..look at the facts:

230whp vs 350whp...

Rain, hail, sleet, snow....it should all yield the same result..
    well snow and ice would prob leave the vette standing still...lol...and the wrx in a snowbank...
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    Hey guys, it was all I could find! Afterall, I am still getting used to the car... I can't wait till the spring, I will post more worthy kill stories then!

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.