My C6 vs stage 2 WRX...IN THE RAIN... just playing around! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on My C6 vs stage 2 WRX...IN THE RAIN... just playing around! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Me and you...we'll get it on tape....

Me and you...we'll get it on tape.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13secwrx
    Me and you...we'll get it on tape.

I graciously accept. I know by then we will be putting down similar numbers. Even if you win, I would have had the honor of racing a formidable challenger...

BTW, by now don't you have as much into your car as I do?

See you this spring...

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
    I believe they are 295 mm wide for the tires, and 19" wheels.
    They're 285/35/19.... That's still a lot of rubber.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

First line, he described the pavement as being wet, and not really raining. Wouldn't make a difference really, unless there was standing water.

The new C6's have a HUGE contact patch for their rear tires. I believe they are 295 mm wide for the tires, and 19" wheels. Not sure what the overall diameter of the tire is, though, so the front to rear contact patch of the rear tires is a question mark. I think it's easy to assume, however, it's much larger than that of a WRX's rear tires, but still somewhat less than all 4 of a WRX's typical 205/55/16 tires. So in straightline acceleration, the C6 may still have a surprising amount of grip given the sheer size and grippy nature of their tires. Some pavement types have more traction than others when wet or dry, also, so that's another variable.

Harnessing that power to the rear wheels when turns are introduced is a different story altogether, however.

That's how I'd explain it if I had to.

Of note: On Wed night, I watched a new C6 with a set of modified C5 headers and a homemade cold air kit dyno 405 rwhp. Or about 50 hp more than stock... This was over at Speed Inc www.ls1speed.com in Schaumburg IL. Sounded BAD-ASS!!!

I had 275s on the rear of my supra and it didn't mean a damn thing when it came to rain, i know its a different car then the C6 but it realy doesn't matter how wide your tires are the simple fact is that its rear wheel drive and has no weight on the back tires so no matter how wide they are its going to spin em unless you granny it off the line. If i went WOT in my supra on a wet surface it would spin the tires in the 1st two gears, i would think the vette with much more power would spin them in the first 4 gears if he went WOT. Also i really don't see 1 second in the 1/4 being 10 cars lengths, but perhaps im wrong, its more like 5 cars if you ask me from my drag racing experience.

I just want to clarify that i think the C6 is an amazing car and i would love to own one but i can't afford one. I know the C6 would destroy a Cobb stage 2 wrx in a race on a dry pavement. I have own many RWD cars and i wouldn't even bother racing cars in the rain or wet surface because my supra which ran a 13.9@103mph after only taking it to the track once would get its ass handed to it from a dig by just about anything in the rain, i would have to give it half throttle if i didn't want to spin them and if i spun them i wouldn't stand a chance. With the cobb stage 2 wrx taking a launch from a dig on a dry surface i would think it could hold its own through the about 50mph with a C6 then it would just blow by it, on a wet road i would think the wrx would def take the C6 to about 65 or so since the C6 would have to come off the line much easier. With this race the WRX and the C6 were dead even off the line on a wet road which surprises me, maybe it did happen, but i can't see the wrx launching hard and the C6 still running dead even off the line through first gear in the rain. I could be wrong but thats just how i see it. Nice car by the way, maybe when the C6s are 7 years old or so i can afford a used one
    Last edited by elohdaeh78; 01-15-2005 at 08:09 AM.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

I totally agree that in most circumstances, it's not gonna happen too often that a high HP rwd car will match an AWD car in the wet at speeds below 70 mph. Southpaw got the one in hundred type of matchup and took advantage of it.

But for the 10 car lengths = 1 second (or 1 car length = 1/10 of a second), let's look at the math:

Use 105 mph for a trapspeed. Divide by 60 to get 1.75 miles per minute. Divide by 60 to get .029166 miles per seconds. Multiply by 5280 feet to get 154 feet per second. Most vehicles are 14-16 feet in length. Thus, 10 car lengths are travelled in one second (or 1 car length for every tenth of a second) when trapspeeds are around 105 mph. Numbers never lie.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I totally agree that in most circumstances, it's not gonna happen too often that a high HP rwd car will match an AWD car in the wet at speeds below 70 mph. Southpaw got the one in hundred type of matchup and took advantage of it.

But for the 10 car lengths = 1 second (or 1 car length = 1/10 of a second), let's look at the math:

Use 105 mph for a trapspeed. Divide by 60 to get 1.75 miles per minute. Divide by 60 to get .029166 miles per seconds. Multiply by 5280 feet to get 154 feet per second. Most vehicles are 14-16 feet in length. Thus, 10 car lengths are travelled in one second (or 1 car length for every tenth of a second) when trapspeeds are around 105 mph. Numbers never lie.

Can't argue the numbers
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Danny boy just dropped some serious knowledge. Good Work!
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    how much wheelspin do we get with an AWD launch in the rain? I know i get wheelspin in the dirt... I mean it is entirley possible that the Stg2 spun off the line a little too right?
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

Quote Originally Posted by tacomaboy138
    how much wheelspin do we get with an AWD launch in the rain? I know i get wheelspin in the dirt... I mean it is entirley possible that the Stg2 spun off the line a little too right?
    My point is that no matter what that is the vette shound not be able to hang with a "well driven" wrx no matter what stage it is off the line in slippery conditions. The guy with the supra made more since to me for that matter. After it hooks up however (c6) it's all over for stages 2 and down. I got a 4.9 sec 0-60 in the rain with my cobb stage 2 (with 23.5 lbs. wheels on) . I doubt very highly a stock c6 can ever do that on wet pavement. A challenge for you vette guys! See if you can prove me wrong ey?
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    Maybe,................he bogged ?!?! Ever consider that?

BTW, ask Slick:6:STi how my car pulls on the highway...

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    My point is that no matter what that is the vette shound not be able to hang with a "well driven" wrx no matter what stage it is off the line in slippery conditions. The guy with the supra made more since to me for that matter. After it hooks up however (c6) it's all over for stages 2 and down. I got a 4.9 sec 0-60 in the rain with my cobb stage 2 (with 23.5 lbs. wheels on) . I doubt very highly a stock c6 can ever do that on wet pavement. A challenge for you vette guys! See if you can prove me wrong ey?

how did you measure your 0-60 time? gtech? those things are about as reliable as counting on seconds in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    how did you measure your 0-60 time? gtech? those things are about as reliable as counting on seconds in your head.
    Yep it was a gtech. Ain't nothin wrong with a gtech.

Kessler89 got a 13.5 1/4 mile with a GTECH, and then got a 13.4 at the track. Seems accurate enough to me.

On the highway Southpaw's car is murderous. He absolutely destroyed me from some high speed rolls. The STi had no chance.
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick:6:STi
    On the highway Southpaw's car is murderous. He absolutely destroyed me from some high speed rolls. The STi had no chance.

Sellin your STI to buy a C6 are we?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast