How much does a 03/04 Cobra dyno? and can a Sti take it - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on How much does a 03/04 Cobra dyno? and can a Sti take it within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm pretty sure my stock times for an STi are within the top ten in the country. Not bragging, just ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm pretty sure my stock times for an STi are within the top ten in the country. Not bragging, just stating what I think is the truth.

NOW...in my experience with stock 03 Cobras (the other years are no competition in stock form), I am 1 for 3. The only reason I won the 1 race was due to excessive spin by the Cobra driver off the line.

The other 2 races I had the lead until well past the 1/8th mile, and then got passed quite easily. If it had continued, I would be embarrassing.

As others have stated, in their element, these 2 cars are probably at the top of the heap. Talking mod for mod potential and once again you need to consider their element. Don't forget that mods also include suspension work, and if you go mod for mod in that direction, can you honestly say a Cobra is better? Nope. Converseley, for outright raping speed, the Cobra mod for mod path dwarfs the STi. Probably on the order of for every 1 dollar spend on the Cobra, you'll need at least 3 (and some big kahunas) to match it in the STi, and thats probably conservative.

Total respect to both platforms. I for one am happy to see domestics finally start stepping up to the plate. The Z06 and Cobra are both great examples of how a car should be built for the intended purpose.

I cross shopped the Cobra against the STi, and chose the STi for it's AWD capabiblity, my love for the all-around platform, and to be honest, the shifting action in the Cobra just felt attrocious...like a truck. But it did ride smoother!!
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 01-28-2005 at 08:58 AM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    I'm pretty sure my stock times for an STi are within the top ten in the country. Not bragging, just stating what I think is the truth.

NOW...in my experience with stock 03 Cobras (the other years are no competition in stock form), I am 1 for 3. The only reason I won the 1 race was due to excessive spin by the Cobra driver off the line.

The other 2 races I had the lead until well past the 1/8th mile, and then got passed quite easily. If it had continued, I would be embarrassing.

As others have stated, in their element, these 2 cars are probably at the top of the heap. Talking mod for mod potential and once again you need to consider their element. Don't forget that mods also include suspension work, and if you go mod for mod in that direction, can you honestly say a Cobra is better? Nope. Converseley, for outright raping speed, the Cobra mod for mod path dwarfs the STi. Probably on the order of for every 1 dollar spend on the Cobra, you'll need at least 3 (and some big kahunas) to match it in the STi, and thats probably conservative.

Total respect to both platforms. I for one am happy to see domestics finally start stepping up to the plate. The Z06 and Cobra are both great examples of how a car should be built for the intended purpose.

I cross shopped the Cobra against the STi, and chose the STi for it's AWD capabiblity, my love for the all-around platform, and to be honest, the shifting action in the Cobra just felt attrocious...like a truck. But it did ride smoother!!
    Agreed. Pre-05 mustang shifters are just awkward and unnecessarily troublesome. I test drove an 06 GT though, that thing has a shorter, softer shift than a Z. A GT500 would be an awesome challenge for an STI. Don't let the 500hp intimidate you, though.

Welcome back.

I Support ClubWRX
    Tftd
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by iceagetlc View Post
    Agreed. Pre-05 mustang shifters are just awkward and unnecessarily troublesome. I test drove an 06 GT though, that thing has a shorter, softer shift than a Z. A GT500 would be an awesome challenge for an STI. Don't let the 500hp intimidate you, though.
    Way to dig up a 2 year old thread!!!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Way to dig up a 2 year old thread!!!
    3 years, actually.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I raced two Cobra's - one was a convertible - late last Fall. 3 lanes at a light, I was in the center lane. I put a few long lengths on them by 50mph, and they turned off on a side street. While I have no doubt they would have killed me from a roll, while they were spinning their tires, I was shifting into 2nd at a healthy distance.

AWD in real world driving gives quite an advantage - though not so much from a roll. lol.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    3 years, actually.
    owned

If stock 03/04 Cobras were rare then, they're practically extinct today.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

+1.2648902

03/04 I'd give up my lefty for one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.