How much does a 03/04 Cobra dyno? and can a Sti take it - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on How much does a 03/04 Cobra dyno? and can a Sti take it within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Digitalfiend Not a stock Cobra. Anyhow, it doesn't matter. I think most STi driver's know where they ...

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    Not a stock Cobra.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter. I think most STi driver's know where they stand in the food chain. I have no delusions about hanging with Cobras on the highway and funny enough, I don't care. I'm not into those 60-to-arrested highway runs that everyone seems so fascinated by. I'll gladly do a 0-60 stoplight run when there is no traffic to be found.

I didn't see his modlist in the video so it could be stock, and with a decent set of tires the cobra will be hanging in there with you in those short spirited runs from stoplight to stoplight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yo

The STI got raped ... once the Cobra got traction.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Quote Originally Posted by AsianWRX
    That my friend, is one of the reasons why you have a white STi waiting for you outside instead of a Cobra
    Well that and our winters up here aren't very forgiving to high powered RWD cars, regardless of tire choice. Too much black ice, slush, and packed snow. Granted, my car is garaged this winter when it snows, but at least I have the option!

Also, I feel the STi is the better platform for a road racing/autox car. I'm not saying the Cobra can't handle but the STi edges it out - especially considering the tracks we have around here.

Frankly Cobb Stg2 (~280ish whp) is all I'll really need. Though I say that now. I guess we'll see in a year or two from now.

If I wanted a drag car = Cobra, hands down
    Fast well rounded car = STi
    If I made more money = STi + C6 Z06
    If I made a LOT more money = 911 Turbo w/RUF tuning and STi as the daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    I didn't see his modlist in the video so it could be stock, and with a decent set of tires the cobra will be hanging in there with you in those short spirited runs from stoplight to stoplight.
    Oh no doubt. But with our ****ty roads I don't think anything short of drag radials or slicks will make that much of a difference. With some of the uneven, cracked, strewn with loose sand roads we have here, I'd be afraid to gun it with a Cobra.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by fastwrx135
    Then explain the SRT-4 to me please
    Whats to explain about the SRT-4?. Its good for about 260 at the crank and it performs like it should. Its an inexpensive and good platform for mods. I don't care what Dodge rates them out of the box. Everyone knows how quick they are.

The more I think about the Cobra, I think I'm forgetting their weight and how that effects them at the track. 375-380 at the wheels is a ton, but its gotta move a heavier object. From a roll, Cobras are just violent, and the STi is out of its element for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jgheels2003
    ...SNIP... From a roll, Cobras are just violent, and the STi is out of its element for sure.
    Only the CPIE or above ones are.

Stock pulley, unported blower, corked up exhaust/intake and lame factory tune are inhibiting factors. Once you correct those four deficits you net 460-500rwhp and can really start to break stuff.

My first 03 was 480 rwhp, conservative tune. The coupe I have now will be considerable more shhhhhhhhhh!
    02 WRX Wagon Silver SOLD
    03 Cobra Satin Silver, twin screwed, cammed, ported, nasty

Just for reference, my race weight is 3850 lbs.

With nothing but a catback and CAI (really just an open element filter) and stock tires I run 12.4's@14-115.

That was with a 1.99 60 ft.

STi's are awesome stoplight to stoplight and in any situation with low traction. Cobra's are highway killers.

But...I'd say a high percentage of Cobras are running drag radials on the street and at the track. These are good for 1.8's and 1.7's easily. So...one of these could put a big hurting on a stock STi from a dig and then continue to stomp it from a roll too.
    Ryan
    2003 REDFIRE COBRA

pullied, sprayed, ported

Quote Originally Posted by StngStr
    Just for reference, my race weight is 3850 lbs.

With nothing but a catback and CAI (really just an open element filter) and stock tires I run 12.4's@14-115.

That was with a 1.99 60 ft.

STi's are awesome stoplight to stoplight and in any situation with low traction. Cobra's are highway killers.

But...I'd say a high percentage of Cobras are running drag radials on the street and at the track. These are good for 1.8's and 1.7's easily. So...one of these could put a big hurting on a stock STi from a dig and then continue to stomp it from a roll too.
    Yeah it would probably take a stage 2 STi to win back its stoplight to stoplight advantage against a Cobra on drag radials, though it still wouldn't be enough from a roll. There's no denying it, Cobra > STi in most straight line contests.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by postban

Stock pulley, unported blower, corked up exhaust/intake and lame factory tune are inhibiting factors. Once you correct those four deficits you net 460-500rwhp and can really start to break stuff.

My first 03 was 480 rwhp, conservative tune. The coupe I have now will be considerable more shhhhhhhhhh!
    The more I read about the CPIE mod, the more I realize how amazing and inexpensive the power upgrade is. Its really not a whole lot lot of modifications, but its gets you 430+450 to the ground....gaawwddd. I FINALLY rode in one of those and its like a tidalwave hits you from behind off a roll. I can definately see one of those Cobras in the driveway next to the STi in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by postban

What is CPIE?
    Ryan
    2003 REDFIRE COBRA

pullied, sprayed, ported

What is CPIE?
    Crank Pulley, Intake, Exhaust???
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

Quote Originally Posted by jgheels2003
    The more I read about the CPIE mod, the more I realize how amazing and inexpensive the power upgrade is. Its really not a whole lot lot of modifications, but its gets you 430+450 to the ground....gaawwddd. I FINALLY rode in one of those and its like a tidalwave hits you from behind off a roll. I can definately see one of those Cobras in the driveway next to the STi in the future.
    +1 yup
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

that race in the vid is pretty much how it is with me vs. my friend's svt cobra... my mods are cobb stage 2 and sti wheels/re070s for more grip.

i figured if i put a green or even a vf22 in the rex it wouldn't be like that and i'd prolly hold off till at least mid- 4th or 5th

sti with similar mods should have no problem holding off that particular cobra in the 1/4

What is CPIE?
    Chip, pulley, intake, exhaust.

In regards to stock vs stock-I think the STI will still get to 0-60 faster on the street, then the Cobra will pull back it's head and bite. True, the STI loses that advantage from a roll due to AWD loss, but with 103-104 traps speeds, it's still plenty quick. Cobra's deserve lots of respect for their power and mod potential no doubt. Still, the Cobra is very heavy and weighs substantially more than the STI which doesn't help it at the stoplight either.

Vishnu Stage 1 Kit for the STI in the neighboorhood of 2K(370 HP) will get you 0-60's in about 4 secs and 12.4@110. That is VERY QUICK from a stop. Recently Car and Driver tested a C6 Z06 and got 3.9 0-60.

http://vishnutuning.com/impreza_sti_stage1_v370.htm
    95 Supra TT --BPU+ 420whp.
    05 Subaru STI --Cobb AP Stage 2 Protuned
    94 Integra GS-R --HIE/VTEC Controller.

Quote Originally Posted by garrettjj
    In regards to stock vs stock-I think the STI will still get to 0-60 faster on the street, then the Cobra will pull back it's head and bite. True, the STI loses that advantage from a roll due to AWD loss, but with 103-104 traps speeds, it's still plenty quick. Cobra's deserve lots of respect for their power and mod potential no doubt. Still, the Cobra is very heavy and weighs substantially more than the STI which doesn't help it at the stoplight either.

Vishnu Stage 1 Kit for the STI in the neighboorhood of 2K(370 HP) will get you 0-60's in about 4 secs and 12.4@110. That is VERY QUICK from a stop. Recently Car and Driver tested a C6 Z06 and got 3.9 0-60.

http://vishnutuning.com/impreza_sti_stage1_v370.htm
    just look at that vid on the previous posts.... it says it all.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast