How much does a 03/04 Cobra dyno? and can a Sti take it - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on How much does a 03/04 Cobra dyno? and can a Sti take it within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; just to join everyone else here..... They produce "fairly" similar 1/4mile times. From a dig its a decent race, but ...

just to join everyone else here.....

They produce "fairly" similar 1/4mile times. From a dig its a decent race, but the cobra will still walk away. What many of you are not understanding is that an STi will generally run low 13's with a very good driver. the 13.1 time that C&D got is not what most people get from the car. Where as the 13.0 that C&D got is a little underrated for the cobra. Most drivers that have experience with the car have no trouble running 12.8's BONE STOCK. So even in the 1/4 the STi will trail 3 - 4 tenths of a second on average.

1/4 mile might be "similar" but that is because of the STi's launch. The cobra still makes about 100whp MORE than the STi and traps about 5-6mph higher as well.... The cobra is the clear beast of the highway here. In an STi you are looking at adding every bolt on imaginable to the car just to keep up at high speeds and more than likely if you want to edge him out you going to be needing an upgraded turbo.

suck, but its the truth. The car may suck in most other way, but cannot argue with the trannies ability to hold power and the insane potential of that car.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Cobras dyno around 350whp, please tell me how even a lightly modded STi can keep up with a Cobra, especially from a roll?? I thought stock STi's dyno about 240whp??

From a dig, the STi can hold its own over a STOCK '03 Cobra but from a roll, it shouldn't even be a race. There are stories on here of STi's barely walking stock r32's and 350z's, tell me how an STi can walk a Cobra??
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

Don't rely on Dyno #s for this or any argument, because every dyno is different. On a dyno dynamics (I think) dyno a Cobra will pull like around 370 whp, but on a Mustang Dyno they will only register around 330 whp. Same goes for the AWD Dynos, some just read higher and some are much lower. Just know that the Cobra has a crapload of power, too much for the STi, stock for stock. Modwise you will definately need an upgraded turbo, TBE, EM, and all of the other fixins to be able to hang with a modded Cobra on the highway.
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick:6:STi
    Don't rely on Dyno #s for this or any argument, because every dyno is different.
    very true...

trap numbers are much more reliable. Every dyno is different, they are best used as tuning devices rather than failsafe power measurements.
    2002 WRX Sedan
    Aspen White 5MT... bone stock

Quote Originally Posted by fastwrx135
    Cobras dyno around 350whp, please tell me how even a lightly modded STi can keep up with a Cobra, especially from a roll?? I thought stock STi's dyno about 240whp??

From a dig, the STi can hold its own over a STOCK '03 Cobra but from a roll, it shouldn't even be a race. There are stories on here of STi's barely walking stock r32's and 350z's, tell me how an STi can walk a Cobra??
    If a stock STi walks a cobra from a roll it's ONLY because the Cobra had no traction. Some mag did a street start test from 5-60 and the Cobra beat the STi by, I think, .6 seconds. That's a large margin for a short duration.

If the STi is not walking an R32 or G35 then I'd suspect the STi had a Subaru reflash for pinging. A friend and I drove our '04's back to back and mine was noticeably faster. He had
    the Subaru reflash which I did not need.
    Last edited by mx_9; 01-13-2005 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianWRX
    And Supra ownz Blade
    Yes, but the supra was highly modified. The cobra was stock.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Our stock 03 Cobra dynoed 375rwhp. I have seen even higher.This was done on a Mustang Dyno. These cars are under-rated.
    FS: 02 WRX with JDM V7 RA-C

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    I don't know why but most the 03 Cobras in my area (that I've run into on the streets) are bone stock.
    There's a guy in my neighborhood with an 03 Cobra and his is bone stock.Its been that way for over a year. By the way we have race twice and I won both times in my
    Utec'ed, Turbo backed STi. Both times from a low speed roll.
    wow..that's pretty impressive, your lucky to find stock cobra's around..i'd love to race them at a drag strip..except most of them i see at track are doing 12's in elevation
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mx_9
    If a stock STi walks a cobra from a roll it's ONLY because the Cobra had no traction. Some mag did a street start test from 5-60 and the Cobra beat the STi by, I think, .6 seconds. That's a large margin for a short duration.

If the STi is not walking an R32 or G35 then I'd suspect the STi had a Subaru reflash for pinging. A friend and I drove our '04's back to back and mine was noticeably faster. He had
    the Subaru reflash which I did not need.
    Well im not saying that the STi can't walk the R32 or G35 or whatever but im just saying that STi vs. these cars should still be close. There is no way a stock STi will destroy an R32 or G35c from a roll which leads to the point that if an STi can't destroy these, how can it even challenge a Cobra?? Thats all i was getting at.
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fastwrx135
    Well im not saying that the STi can't walk the R32 or G35 or whatever but im just saying that STi vs. these cars should still be close. There is no way a stock STi will destroy an R32 or G35c from a roll which leads to the point that if an STi can't destroy these, how can it even challenge a Cobra?? Thats all i was getting at.
    A stock STi can't pull hard on a G35c from a roll? The G traps I've seen are in the 98mph range, where as the STi is 103-104, isn't it? I would have put my money solidly on the STi in a roll-on race.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    A stock STi can't pull hard on a G35c from a roll? The G traps I've seen are in the 98mph range, where as the STi is 103-104, isn't it? I would have put my money solidly on the STi in a roll-on race.
    For what it's worth, I've only seen magazine ratings on the G. 2 mph lower trap at 1 second slower. Plus, this site: http://www.car-videos.com/performanc...D1=169&ID2=272
    shows the STi faster zcross the range. The one interesting thing to note is that the street start of 5-60 goes to the G. Anyway, mag racing sucks. I think the G is a beautiful car and I can't wait for my friends to take theirs out AutoXing. The G is dead sexy if you ask me.

Gents, when it comes down to it, the Cobra and the STI are kings of their own turf in stock form..

For example, in a stoplight challenge or the god forbidden street race, the STI pretty much stomps anything else in stock form >$50k since most of us are not crazy enough to get over 20mph past the speed limit on the streets.

Cobra on the other hand, will stomp on anything on the hwy or anyone thats willing to get arrested in the name of their ego less $50k in stock form..

When it comes to mods, the Cobra takes the win again by a long shot. The STi can be mod just as fast if you have the balls and the money to do it.

Finallly, if you live anywhere north or in the midwest, I'm sure most of us will appreciate awd to get us through all year around. You can't really ask for much more from a 4door (Well, maybe some creature comfort... its a rally car)

If I have the dough, I'll take the sti as the daily driver. The Cobra would be sitting in my garage awaiting mods and the strips)
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianWRX
    Gents, when it comes down to it, the Cobra and the STI are kings of their own turf in stock form..

For example, in a stoplight challenge or the god forbidden street race, the STI pretty much stomps anything else in stock form >$50k since most of us are not crazy enough to get over 20mph past the speed limit on the streets.

Cobra on the other hand, will stomp on anything on the hwy or anyone thats willing to get arrested in the name of their ego less $50k in stock form..

When it comes to mods, the Cobra takes the win again by a long shot. The STi can be mod just as fast if you have the balls and the money to do it.

Finallly, if you live anywhere north or in the midwest, I'm sure most of us will appreciate awd to get us through all year around. You can't really ask for much more from a 4door (Well, maybe some creature comfort... its a rally car)

If I have the dough, I'll take the sti as the daily driver. The Cobra would be sitting in my garage awaiting mods and the strips)
    Agreedx2. You look at things the same way that I do. I'd love to have a Cobra, but thinking of trying to get around with a Cobra in the snow makes me shudder.
    2002 WRX Sedan
    Aspen White 5MT... bone stock

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    This is what a STI will do to a cobra. It may beat it for a few yards, then it's bye bye.

http://www.beergoggles.org/subaru/SHOOFFvsSTI.wmv
    Not a stock Cobra.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter. I think most STi driver's know where they stand in the food chain. I have no delusions about hanging with Cobras on the highway and funny enough, I don't care. I'm not into those 60-to-arrested highway runs that everyone seems so fascinated by. I'll gladly do a 0-60 stoplight run when there is no traffic to be found.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    Not a stock Cobra.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter. I think most STi driver's know where they stand in the food chain. I have no delusions about hanging with Cobras on the highway and funny enough, I don't care. I'm not into those 60-to-arrested highway runs that everyone seems so fascinated by. I'll gladly do a 0-60 stoplight run when there is no traffic to be found.
    That my friend, is one of the reasons why you have a white STi waiting for you outside instead of a Cobra
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.