How much does a 03/04 Cobra dyno? and can a Sti take it - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on How much does a 03/04 Cobra dyno? and can a Sti take it within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This is what a STI will do to a cobra. It may beat it for a few yards, then it's ...

This is what a STI will do to a cobra. It may beat it for a few yards, then it's bye bye.

http://www.beergoggles.org/subaru/SHOOFFvsSTI.wmv

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    This is what a STI will do to a cobra. It may beat it for a few yards, then it's bye bye.

http://www.beergoggles.org/subaru/SHOOFFvsSTI.wmv
    A few yards? Right.

Stock for stock the STi should make it a race for the Cobra up to 70-80mph.

Aren't the 1/4 mile times from these two cars pretty even? If it was from a roll, I'll hand it to the Cobra, but seeing that it was from a stop, I'm thinking that Cobra wasn't stock since it pulled on the sti after just the 2nd gear. Either that or the camera needs to go on a diet or thrown out of the car during the race...
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    good luck finding stock 03 cobras since they are so easy to mod and make into 500hp cars
    I don't know why but most the 03 Cobras in my area (that I've run into on the streets) are bone stock.
    There's a guy in my neighborhood with an 03 Cobra and his is bone stock.Its been that way for over a year. By the way we have race twice and I won both times in my
    Utec'ed, Turbo backed STi. Both times from a low speed roll.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianWRX
    Aren't the 1/4 mile times from these two cars pretty even? If it was from a roll, I'll hand it to the Cobra, but seeing that it was from a stop, I'm thinking that Cobra wasn't stock since it pulled on the sti after just the 2nd gear. Either that or the camera needs to go on a diet or thrown out of the car during the race...
    The cobra has 100 more whp than the sti, as soon as he can get it to the ground it's going to pull very hard on a sti. And I bet with sticky tires, the cobra will pull better 60's than the sti too.

Quote Originally Posted by mx_9
    A few yards? Right.

Stock for stock the STi should make it a race for the Cobra up to 70-80mph.
    OK fine, capable driver to capable driver sti.

Give them something other than a street tire

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    OK fine, capable driver to capable driver sti.

Give them something other than a street tire
    Yes, capable driver to capable driver, stock for stock, the Cobra should win but it's playing catch-up to the end. From there it walks, then runs, away.

Upgrading tires..sure, Cobra walks away earlier. BUT, give the STi the same money that you'd put into tires and I bet it's a damn close race.

However (the pendulum swings), outside of the tire upgrade, if you put the same money into each car it's a no-contest. Cobra=Sick Power for little money. And very potent in its intended arena. Just like the STi.
    Last edited by mx_9; 01-13-2005 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supersuby
    Just wondering what thet dyno at stock at the wheels. Also.. how much whp would a STi need to take one of these badboys from a roll?
    Thanks.. I am not sure becuase I can take a e46 m3 by 2 cars from a roll now. And the m3 owner said he takes cobras all day?
    LOL...you love using that M3 race as an example don't you.

Anyways, about the Cobras. They typically dyno 360-380rwhp depending on how many miles are on the car. For an STi to beat an properly driven new Cobra from a roll, it would have to have all bolt-ons and most likely a bigger turbo(SR40,Green,PE1820). Cobras can trap up to 112mph in stock form.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    i call BS on e46 m3 beating a 03 svt cobra on the highway or any other type of roll ...stock on stock
    There is no way the M3 will beat a 03 cobra. Please let me run the M3.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

I love the Cobra for what it is, and I'll probably own one sometime down the road. But, how can a car typically dyno at 360-380 at the wheels and produce only 396 at the crank. I don't care just how heavy they are and the RWD, something doesn't add up. Either Ford understates the true power output of the Cobra or people are getting carried away. I've seen this stated on SVT forums too, so Im not picking on anyone, but its seems to me that a car putting down that much power stock to the ground and rwd should run high 11's to 12 flat in the quarter with drag radials. That just doesn't happen on a stock Cobra. I've seen tons at the track, and only the pullied Cobras and beyond can run those times or faster. Heavy or not, nothing quite adds up with peoples claims on this car as far as stock power goes. ZO6's put 345 to the ground and 400 to the crank, that makes sense, and they are lighter than Cobras and quicker.

Ok everyone go to the video forum and watch blades video's. Cobra>owns your A$$
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    And Supra ownz Blade
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    Blades != stock Cobra. Regardless, Cobra's are fast stock where our cars (EVO's included) are quick.

Quote Originally Posted by jgheels2003
    I love the Cobra for what it is, and I'll probably own one sometime down the road. But, how can a car typically dyno at 360-380 at the wheels and produce only 396 at the crank. I don't care just how heavy they are and the RWD, something doesn't add up. Either Ford understates the true power output of the Cobra or people are getting carried away. I've seen this stated on SVT forums too, so Im not picking on anyone, but its seems to me that a car putting down that much power stock to the ground and rwd should run high 11's to 12 flat in the quarter with drag radials. That just doesn't happen on a stock Cobra. I've seen tons at the track, and only the pullied Cobras and beyond can run those times or faster. Heavy or not, nothing quite adds up with peoples claims on this car as far as stock power goes. ZO6's put 345 to the ground and 400 to the crank, that makes sense, and they are lighter than Cobras and quicker.
    Then explain the SRT-4 to me please
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

'03-'04 Cobra ASBOLUTELY DO regularly put down 360-380 rwhp. Ford underrated them a bit just as GM underrated the LS1 in the F-Body (rated at 305hp, regularly put down 280-300rwhp). They trap around 108-112 mph STOCK.

From a dig, and stock for stock, STI vs Cobra would be a great race, totally depending on the 60'. From a roll, no contest, the STI will be ANNIHILATED. I love both cars, but these are the facts. There is no way an STI will walk a Cobra from a roll unless the Cobra breaks something. There is close to a 10mph trap difference here.
    Last edited by enisguy; 01-13-2005 at 02:57 PM.
    2002 WRX Sedan
    Aspen White 5MT... bone stock

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast