I killed a CL Type S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I killed a CL Type S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A few weekends ago I was driving down westheimer here in Houston, and I pulled up next to this Acura ...

I killed a CL Type S

A few weekends ago I was driving down westheimer here in Houston, and I pulled up next to this Acura CL type S. The light turned green and he floored it. Not realizing he wanted to race, I caught up with him in no time and killed him.

We got to the next light, and this time I was ready. I reved my engine, light turned green, and boom...I'm gone. Beat him again. Not to say that he was no competition, but I wasn't really worried.

As we got to yet another light, a moded civic going the other way hooked a u-turn, and pulled to the light next us. Light turns green, and my cart bogs down. After the turbo starts spooling my car takes them both. I must say that this was my first time racing my subie in the three months that I have had it, and it was soooooo much fun. It fealt really good to be the guy that wins. I had a base model 3000 GT before this and it didn't go anywhere. So you guys can imagine the rush I had. Anyone else race any Acuras?

Fahd
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow... That's pretty cool.. I once had a run in with one from a role from 20MPH to about 70MPH. This was when I had just my boost controller, intake, and my magnaflow muffler.We were dead even.... That should change soonnow that I have a 5Ziggen catback and a TBXS DP waiting to go on the car
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

OT:
    you do know that the TXS DP and 5ziggen catback won't meet right?
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

slin02 is right. I wanted to get the TXS dp for my car but TXS told me it wouldn't hook up to my HKS cat back. The only thing that would link up to the TXS exhaust parts is an axle back. So you'd have to purchase the DP and the two midpipes. This came straight from TXS.
    Last edited by WRXin'; 09-12-2002 at 03:17 PM.
    Fahd

A few days ago I was able to play with a black Type-S. He could only stay with me after I gave him momentum, waiting for him to get about 2 cars behind me with him accelerating while I was in 3rd at about 70-80. He'd only manage to get about even with my bumper then I walked away after 100 putting 2-3 cars by 120 - rinse, wash, repeat....three times.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Off the line no problem, but at highway speeds? You sure they aren't just shutting down early? That car has got some nice pull up top, that's for sure.

jb

you have to be modded to beat a auto CL-S in a wrx from a role (if its a 6speed u need even a bit more mods) otherwise...

now form a stop the wrx beats the auto CL-S buy a about a half second and stock 6speeds are running low 14's....so you can temporarialy beat a auto untill he passes you but a well driven manual is right next to you through the 1/4 but would quite literaly smoke you after the 1/4
    iiiiiiiim baaaaaaack!

i test drove one

unlike the WRX, the CL type-s 6spd is a luxury sports car. the interior is awesome, styling is superb, etc etc. take off and handling are also pretty good as i took it on a highway and it was smooth through all the gears. like the wrx, it was a great bang for the buck, so to speak. for $30K you got a ~260hp sleek looking, luxury car, a bunch of accessories (nice in dash nav system + 1 year on star only like $2K more i think), and a 6 speed. it doesnt have the initial pickup of the wrx and im not sure it provides a good modfication base. one reason i got wrx > CL type-s was that with an Acura / BMW / Mercedes / Etc. id be too afraid to beat it up and push it and just generally enjoy the hell out of it like the wrx. besides, the CL doesn't come from the absolutely awesome rally background that the wrx does. being front wheel drive also means a less sporty driving feel (supposedly!). if i was commuting ALOT on a highway or for long periods of time, i woulda bought the CL because for comfort its awesome. CL type-s and WRX, both good buys for the price.

-c
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Originally posted by RSXracer200 #2

now form a stop the wrx beats the auto CL-S buy a about a half second and stock 6speeds are running low 14's....
    the only one at the track that i have seen ran a 14.7, but i supose faster is possible...however i'm scepticle as to LOW 14's

After reading all your replies, I'm guessing the guy couldn't drive his car very well. Because on the third light we raced on, I bogged down as he took off, but I caught up and passed him. Again that's from launch, so may be our cars are just awsome at launch. I'll have to try it again now...I'm really curious about whether or not I can REALLY beat a CL type S The only mod I had at the time was an HKS exhaust...oh yeah and indiglo gauges, clear side markers, and fog light covers. Those add 5 hp a piecse

From what I hear about people that modify their CL's, their transmissions don't hold up. My friend has a moded TL (awsome car by the way), and he's seen guys on the Acura forum that have gone through as many as three transmissions!!! That's crazy. You'd think Acura/Honda would have made a more durable product.
    Last edited by WRXin'; 09-13-2002 at 08:55 PM.
    Fahd

Nothing to do with reliablility, everything to do with abuse. Give me any car, and I'll break the transmission.

jb

Originally posted by jimb
    Nothing to do with reliablility, everything to do with abuse. Give me any car, and I'll break the transmission.

jb
    I suppose you're right. They're kind of screwed though because they can't upgrade their transmission like we can. Not Comptech or anyone else makes a stronger transmission to handle the abuse...at least I've never heard of anything.
    Last edited by WRXin'; 09-13-2002 at 08:54 PM.
    Fahd

the only ones with weak transmissions are the autos.....who realy cares though its a stupid slap stick, if they wanted performance they shouldnt have got a auto.....the 6speed on the other hand is rock solid and no is having problems with them. go on acura-cl.com and you will see that most auto owners manage 14.7-15.0 stock and 6speed owners have pulled 14.2-14.5 depending on there driving ability. and keep in mind that the 6speed comes with totaly **** stock tires like my car (the runt or the Type S family)
    iiiiiiiim baaaaaaack!

The CL type S has a six speed now, but it didn't when it first came out. They were all automatic. Those people that wanted performance then couldn't do much about the transmission. They just slapped on one mod after the other until the transmission gave out.
    Fahd

WRX'n, Slin02 - Thanks for the information. Yes, I had to find this out the hard way, and it was no fun. I am thinking of maybe getting a custom piece made to link them both up (Got a quote for a little over 250US), or get a with cat that will actaully fit. Do you guys know which DP's will bolt up to my 5-Ziggen Catback???
    Thanks in advance for the assistance
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast