WRX vs. their TRANNY?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. their TRANNY? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; OK..I'm thinking about buying one of these WRX..and since many of you here can beat z06s, cobras, and probably more. ...

WRX vs. their TRANNY?

OK..I'm thinking about buying one of these WRX..and since many of you here can beat z06s, cobras, and probably more. Anyways, how are your trannies holding up..I heard that they are very fragile and blow up under hard mods..can anyone confirm that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Glass Tranny in the WRX.
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

From what everyone says on this board and tuner sites, the tranny is ok if you don't dump the cluch. Until you mod above 280hp, then your pushing it, time for the $6k STi tranny.

-d
    2001 Audi S4 - Silver
    2002 Subaru WRX - Midnight Black
    2000 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow
    1997 Dodge Intrepid ES - Black
    1991 Ford Taurus SHO - Hunter Green
    [No car below 200HP here!]

the transition between gears arent as smooth as most cars........
    and ofcoarse getting into reverse is always a !@$%#

I plan on slightly abusing the clutch and tranny....hmm that sux.

For what I know
    the tanny in WRX is TY-75 which is used on the FIRST GENERATION of the Legacy. It is approximately 20 yrs old. GDB ( STi) however uses TY-85 tanny which is beefed up but it is heavier and larger.
    I am pushing 250+hp at the wheel, my tranny is doing just fine, it grinds once a while. However, I never slipped nor dropped the clutch. but if I had to do it all over again with my mods, I would definately start out with tranny.
    my 2 cents
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

someone on this site sent this to me in a similar post i started, it doesnt seem to be to bad of a deal actually i think its pretty good

http://www.imprezars.com/chalak.htm
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Hmmm, well if the tranny breaks down then put this baby on

http://shopatmastro.com/mrt_transmission_upgrade.html
    Subaru 17' inch BBS wheels /w Continental ContiExtremeContact Tires, STi Pedals and Tint so far :-P

Originally posted by wrxbone
    From what everyone says on this board and tuner sites, the tranny is ok if you don't dump the cluch. Until you mod above 280hp, then your pushing it, time for the $6k STi tranny.

-d
    Arent the STI trannies more towards 9k for a full swap? Either way, way too rich for most of our blood. And isnt that MRT unbreakable gear set a dog box?

Also, what do you guys think about the STi RA hardened gearset from Rallispec.com?
    04 SVT Lightning

Mr. Fancypants:
    Yeah. I was being semi-sarcastic about that. The transmition itself costs $6K+, but if you include the STi short shift linkage, clutch assy., flywheel, crossmembers, group N gearbox mount, clutch fork, shift knob, shifter trim, and exhaust hanger - $9K+.

I think that MRT is a dog box, but I'm no gear head. It looks well built, an they say it is LIGHTER than stock. The RST-1140 still looks like it is an option for the RST-1100 upgrade. Still pretty steep. It looks like it has a much better transition from 3rd to 4th though. Not sure...

Has anyone gotten this kit or the dog box for a street car? What's the realistic effect on normal driving? Would this cost you in accell. for top speed? I agree with most people that the high-way top gears are a little on the slugish side...

-d
    Last edited by wrxbone; 09-10-2002 at 03:03 AM.
    2001 Audi S4 - Silver

Over almost a year I've been reading about the WRX tranny and it sounds like it's driver error, for the most part when they break. Driver error meaning, lack of shifting skills - don't know how to rev-match, being hamfisted with the shifter, not paying attention to the clutch pedal, speed shifting, and finally trying to dump more than 300-350lb ft with no finesse into a tranny that wasn't meant for it then *****ing that it broke. I've also read a lot of posts where people wrongly try and get their tranny fixed under warranty (they drag race, have a bigger turbo, etc), which SOA has refused, then they piss and moan that Subaru sucks.

From my experience from BMW M cars and the Audi S4, AWD takes a little more skill to drive smoothly than anything else I've driven. You MUST rev match to keep this tranny smooth when driving quickly. You CANNOT just suddenly lift up on the throttle or be abusive with weight transfer because you're putting a hell of a jerk on the driveline by doing this, lift smoothly. You also cannot rush this tranny when shifting, you MUST feel the syncros "pull" the gear in, so that there's almost no resistance (at any speed). No clutch dropping either, that's just newbie stupid. You have to learn how to do a slip around 4500 rpm, slipping the clutch out while rolling onto the throttle. The clutch is your fuse in this setup.

The people that have no problems and know how to shift are the quiet ones, it's only after some moron pisses and moans about their busted tranny that you see us come forth. Many people drag race, autox and are pushing more than stock HP and have no problems whatsoever with their tranny.

There's also a big debate as well about using OEM tranny, diff fluid vs something like Redline. I use Redline in everything, we'll see what happens.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Tranny is glass.
    I stalled in reverse once (a hard stall), and it had to go into shop for replacement of reverse gear and main shaft. Granted that it was my fault for stalling, but it shouldn't be this weak..

Originally posted by jk147
    Tranny is glass.
    I stalled in reverse once (a hard stall), and it had to go into shop for replacement of reverse gear and main shaft. Granted that it was my fault for stalling, but it shouldn't be this weak..

I agree with madwagon. The tranny might be sensitive, but not glass. Reverse and 1st don't have real good tolerances.

But this isn't a race car man. We don't have people breaking our engine down every 5th time we drive to work. You have to let the sync rows do the work for you. I hear all these other drivers on here talking about "dumping" the clutch at 5k. Poping the car into 1st at 30mph.

I always like the infamous "race down-shifter" using the engine to slow you down. The engine and tranny aren't designed to run backwards.

You do this kind of thing you can expect problems, even from a car like the M3 or WRX etc.

Jeez.

-d
    2001 Audi S4 - Silver

Originally posted by CarFan
    I plan on slightly abusing the clutch and tranny....hmm that sux.
    Nobody can abuse the tranny like me. Mine is still working perfectly with 11k miles of pure racing. I have over 100 time slips from the track. Each one represents a 5000 rpm drop clutch launch. I've also done dozens of 5K launches on the street. Every chance I get I'm going full out.
    I think my secret is I get wheel spin on my launches. I break all 4 tires loose. Its much easier on the tranny if the tires are spinning.

When I treated my 99z28 like this it broke the rear end once and the tranny twice in 6 months. And they say WRX's have weak trannys.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.