WRX vs. their TRANNY? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX vs. their TRANNY? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by SGOSWRX When I treated my 99z28 like this it broke the rear end once and the tranny ...

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    When I treated my 99z28 like this it broke the rear end once and the tranny twice in 6 months. And they say WRX's have weak trannys.
    I think the question that all WRX owners have on their minds when they read this statement is:

So did GM cover your parts under warranty?

On a side note, glad to hear that you are enjoying your WRX! I've recently started driving the car HARD at the dragstrip and managed to get a couple of < 2.0 60 foots (1.90 my best so far on 17's , but hey I'm improving!) and truth be told it feels like there's less stress on the drivetrain because the tires are spinning and not the clutch slipping or the drivetrain jerking!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by jk147
    Tranny is glass.
    I stalled in reverse once (a hard stall), and it had to go into shop for replacement of reverse gear and main shaft. Granted that it was my fault for stalling, but it shouldn't be this weak..
    Stalled? We're you going up a steep hill in reverse then tried to catch all 3000lbs in one stroke ? (just guessing with a grin on my face =) I could see a pretty harsh terky jerk from a rear stall. Or a cluch jerk with a panic brake?

Reverse gear in Japanese vehicles has been tricky to get into since our old 71 Civic CCVC (that's Uncle Ben's Rice for you youngin's). Repeated grinds and forcing into reverse could weaken the, usually, straight cut gears with no syncros. A shift to first then reverse helps with a small drift forward before reverse at the most.

SOA should cover that if everything is else is on the square.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Originally posted by wrxbone
    I always like the infamous "race down-shifter" using the engine to slow you down. The engine and tranny aren't designed to run backwards.
    -d
    You mean engine-braking? It's OK to do that with a proper rev-match or double clutch when going to the next lower gear. It's safer and makes the car more controllable with engine-braking, especially going downhill with curves.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Thanks for the info. I dont think its that bad after reading. I'm not stupid with trannies. I shift well, never downshift for the purpose of slowing down or sounding "cool". I just want to be able to mash on it in 1st from a dead stop. Whats the point of awd if I can't really get on it at launch ya know?

By the way..I too hate it when the riceboys cruise around in parking lots leaving their loud ass bucket in first gear the whole time never pushing the clutch back in. I say use the brakes for slowing down..they work way better and are cheaper to replace.

madwagon:

Yes, rev matching the engine is the proper way to downshift. That is normal. But downshifting when the engine is at 500-1000 RPM and watching it jump to 5000, having it feal like you just hit 9 inches of water. That's what I'm refering to. Downhill with relaxed driving, yes. If you are doing hard driving you should be laying in on the brakes. They are there for a reason. The engine is not an alternative to your brakes though .

I think you mean power-shifting, not double clutching. I don't think you need to double-clutch on most (any) contemporary cars. Unless you are actually releasing the clutch and reving in 100% neutral, you are power-shifting. Usually all you need to do is depress the clutch and rev, no need to go into neutral. Using the syncs for the layshaft is fine. Double clutching comes from non-sync days...

-d
    2001 Audi S4 - Silver
    2002 Subaru WRX - Midnight Black
    2000 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow
    1997 Dodge Intrepid ES - Black
    1991 Ford Taurus SHO - Hunter Green
    [No car below 200HP here!]

Originally posted by madwagon

Stalled? We're you going up a steep hill in reverse then tried to catch all 3000lbs in one stroke ? (just guessing with a grin on my face =) I could see a pretty harsh terky jerk from a rear stall. Or a cluch jerk with a panic brake?

Reverse gear in Japanese vehicles has been tricky to get into since our old 71 Civic CCVC (that's Uncle Ben's Rice for you youngin's). Repeated grinds and forcing into reverse could weaken the, usually, straight cut gears with no syncros. A shift to first then reverse helps with a small drift forward before reverse at the most.

SOA should cover that if everything is else is on the square.
    Nope, in a flat parking lot.
    Right after I started the car, I didn't realize the gear was in reverse (old habit.) I let go of the clutch and the engine stalled. I restarted the car and tried reverse again. It made this grinding whirl sound when I backed up. That was when the car was only 10k miles old. I took the car to the dealership and they did fix it under warranty (you really can't find an excuse like 'you were racing in reverse!' )
    So yeah, the tranny is glass. I am also having problems grinding at 1st gear when the clutch is fully depressed, about once a week. I think I might have a lemon tranny.

Originally posted by wrxbone
    madwagon:

Yes, rev matching the engine is the proper way to downshift. That is normal. But downshifting when the engine is at 500-1000 RPM and watching it jump to 5000, having it feal like you just hit 9 inches of water. That's what I'm refering to. Downhill with relaxed driving, yes. If you are doing hard driving you should be laying in on the brakes. They are there for a reason. The engine is not an alternative to your brakes though

I think you mean power-shifting, not double clutching. I don't think you need to double-clutch on most (any) contemporary cars. Unless you are actually releasing the clutch and reving in 100% neutral, you are power-shifting. Usually all you need to do is depress the clutch and rev, no need to go into neutral. Using the syncs for the layshaft is fine. Double clutching comes from non-sync days...

-d
    I C on the abusive downshifting, not good at all.

True on the no need to double clutch. I do, do a full release of the clutch, rev, then back in, then rev match again. I usually only do it if I'm in an awkward speed and need to go down into 1st or 2nd near redline, I find it goes a little easier than rev matching. I normally just rev match with clutch in.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Originally posted by jk147

Nope, in a flat parking lot.
    Right after I started the car, I didn't realize the gear was in reverse (old habit.) I let go of the clutch and the engine stalled. I restarted the car and tried reverse again. It made this grinding whirl sound when I backed up. That was when the car was only 10k miles old. I took the car to the dealership and they did fix it under warranty (you really can't find an excuse like 'you were racing in reverse!' )
    So yeah, the tranny is glass. I am also having problems grinding at 1st gear when the clutch is fully depressed, about once a week. I think I might have a lemon tranny.
    Wow. I've done that too, leaving it in gear or reverse by mistake then just starting the car and releasing the clutch...ouch.

Hmmm, do you have floor mats? I have the fabric suby ones and I think they suck, they never stay on that little peg on the floor and bunch up under my pedals. I think I'm going to go for the gonzo rubber ones and see if that helps.

I wonder if your slave cylinder was not adjusted or is not bled correctly? That might cause problems if it can't fully disengage the clutch.

If you get your tranny replaced again you might get lucky and get the newer part #'s. No real, firm word if the parts are any different or stronger, just different part #'s.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

jk147: It does sound like you got a bumb tranny. That's kind of strange with all the sounds. Reverse is noisy though. I think you just have "the gift" I remember their being a thread about a faulty differential situation on some of the early cars. Maybe this is what you are hearing, it may effect the tranny too. hmmm

1st shouldn't grind though, are you trying to put it in going faster than around 5mph. First isn't really designed to be put in rolling faster than that. If you try and put 1st in at speed, you can hear this really high whine when you first hit the gear catch, that's your sync rows saying "I REALLY don't want to do this."

Dumping the clutch in reverse. I've haven't done that... yet. I think your just CRAZY.

madwagon: Obsesive compulsize (welcome to the club) AND you want to blow your engine up hehe, just joking.
    2001 Audi S4 - Silver
    2002 Subaru WRX - Midnight Black
    2000 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow
    1997 Dodge Intrepid ES - Black
    1991 Ford Taurus SHO - Hunter Green
    [No car below 200HP here!]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12