New Competition
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Competition within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So what do you guys think of the New Cobalt SS?? Latest thing I heard was 0-60 low 6sec, 1/4 ...

New Competition

So what do you guys think of the New Cobalt SS?? Latest thing I heard was 0-60 low 6sec, 1/4 time was 14.5 at a respectable 98mph and heard it handles better then a C5 Corvette with the Z71 package. Suppose to be the Best handling FWD car or something like that.

I like the way they look, especially the interior. I'll throw the Wing away though, and lower it. Can't wait till they come out and see them on the streets or track
    Stg. 0
    -380hp & 437lbs-
    No NOS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think those times are kind of fast for it. I've read some other times that were all half a second higher around what the ION redline runs. The engine and tranny are the same, and the SS only weighs 100 pounds less.

I was around the MTV store in Times square on my lunch break yesterday and they had the Colbalt SS in red on display in the store. It looks pretty nice IMO...even with the wing. I noticed what looked to be a boost guage installed in the corner of the dash like the subygal single pod. Fit and finish of the interior didn't look too bad as i wasn't able to sit in it. Exterior looks better than the pics I have seen online tho.

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Quote Originally Posted by SRT THIS
    So what do you guys think of the New Cobalt SS?? Latest thing I heard was 0-60 low 6sec, 1/4 time was 14.5 at a respectable 98mph and heard it handles better then a C5 Corvette with the Z71 package. Suppose to be the Best handling FWD car or something like that.

I like the way they look, especially the interior. I'll throw the Wing away though, and lower it. Can't wait till they come out and see them on the streets or track

I'll beleive it when I see it. It's pretty much a red line, witch aren't that fast. And I really can't see it out handling a vette.

i don't see it as competition... i see it as something else to put in the rearview.....
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

I Support ClubWRX
    It all depends on if GM takes the route they are touting with it. The Ecotec 2.0 with SC that comes with the SS has an upgrade path that is good for up to 500 HP (700 HP if you want to toss in some serious dough). If GM supports these mods (aka similar to Dodge and the SRT4) this might be a car that provides some serious cred. However, it being GM and all, I kind of doubt that will happen. Only time will tell. For the price, I'd still go with a WRX.
    FWIW, with the numbers they are quoting, the listed times are totally believable. It's a pretty light car (~2800 lbs), good engineering on the engine (VERY good torque for that type of engine) and some pretty decent suspension bits. I give GM an A- for effort, a B+ for design, an A for engineering. Now lets see what kind of grade they get for support and quality. The Ion has suffered quite a bit in those areas.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I'm loving these new round of horsepower wars. Competition is good. The additions of the Cobalt and SRT-4 shifts the pressure back to the import scene to deliver something else at that ~$20,000 cost.

Makes you wonder what Subaru/Mitsu/Honda will fire back with? And where's Toyota in all of this? (unless you count the Scion tC)

Subaru...It would be sweet if the WRX came stock at 260 hp or so, I think it would be totally do-able. And a stronger tranny

Mitsu...well...things aren't looking good for them financially. If not for the Evo, this company would have tanked already...such a shame, because the Evo is such a beautiful machine that can be improved upon. I hope Mitsu will at least tread water until the Evo IX comes out.

Honda seriously needs to release a new compact performance car. While the RSX Type S is a very nice car, it just isn't keeping up with the competition, imo. Weren't they supposed to release the Type R RSX around here??

It's a great time to be a car enthusiast

slim...
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (AP Stage 2)
    Midnight Black, weathered and beaten thanks to the wonderful citizens of Philadelphia, PA

2005 Honda S2000
    Silverstone Metallic Exterior, Red/Black Interior, a shifter made in heaven

Quote Originally Posted by SRT THIS

I'd like to drive one back to back against my Mazdaspeed Protege to see if the handling is as good as they say it is...

I personally doubt it, though it sounds like it'll eat me up down the straight aways without some mods on my part like CAI, Upgraded Intercooler and turboback exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Novtec1
    i don't see it as competition... i see it as something else to put in the rearview.....
    03 EVO VIII....ACT 2900,255 pump, AEM intake,B&B catback,HKS 272's, TURBOTRIX FLASH, blitz tt,blitz sbc-id bc @ 22 lbs w/ speed meter,grounding kit,helix 3in dp, UR test pipe, dejon uicp w/ greddy type-s bov, cucso rear stb tein coilovers, evo VII tail lights
    I should hope so!!!!
    I'm TheBoostCreep, and I approved this message.

J-H
    There was another thread here talking about the SS.

I saw 2 in the SD Auto Show....what struck me was the amount of boost that they running....something like 10 and 17 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought that was a lot of boost for a SC? Does that sound OK or is this something that the ECOTEC engine can handle with ease...

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

Quote Originally Posted by J-H
    There was another thread here talking about the SS.

I saw 2 in the SD Auto Show....what struck me was the amount of boost that they running....something like 10 and 17 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought that was a lot of boost for a SC? Does that sound OK or is this something that the ECOTEC engine can handle with ease...

17 is not do-able on a roots type blower.

i read somewhere that honda was putting the 2.4 l accord block in the next gen civics. that should make a civic fairly quick.

J-H
    maybe it was a different SC. I read it right though....maybe 14lbs? shoot....should check my pics...

the car was pushing like 280hp though...

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

Quote Originally Posted by J-H
    maybe it was a different SC. I read it right though....maybe 14lbs? shoot....should check my pics...

the car was pushing like 280hp though...

I think you can get those kind of #'s out of a roots style blower. Like the KB twin swrew they put on cobra's. But I can't see it on a factory charger.

And if it was making 280 hp it had to be modded, because if I remember correctly there rated for like 205 hp stock.

The real question should be does it have forged internal, and how will it take to upgrades?

J-H
    Quote Originally Posted by racinready300ex
    I think you can get those kind of #'s out of a roots style blower. Like the KB twin swrew they put on cobra's. But I can't see it on a factory charger.

And if it was making 280 hp it had to be modded, because if I remember correctly there rated for like 205 hp stock.

The real question should be does it have forged internal, and how will it take to upgrades?
    My bad, the car WAS modded...I think in the other thread they were talking about the internals...

What do u guys think of the Chevy Cobalt SS?

Third post down....

JH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast