05 WRX MT vs 99-04 Mustang GT
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

This is a discussion on 05 WRX MT vs 99-04 Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; In short, I beat one from a roll three times in a row. From around 3k in 2nd to 5k ...

  1. #1
    VR4
    VR4 is offline
    Registered User VR4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    279

    05 WRX MT vs 99-04 Mustang GT

    In short, I beat one from a roll three times in a row. From around 3k in 2nd to 5k in 3rd. Each time same result, I would pull 1 car. Now b4 this happened I was 100% positive I would lose to a mustang GT from a roll, in fact I still believe that should be the case. BTW I am stock and I have 22lb 18's and subs in the trunk. It sounded like he had a MT, but Im only 90% sure. WTF happened? Remind me, dont these cars trap atleast 5mph higher than us stock?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Slick:6:STi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norwich, CT
    Posts
    473
    You are right you should have lost but you didn't. You are probably a better driver than your opponent. Was it a vert? they are heavie and slower, especially the auto vert. I guess if he was an auto coupe you had a good shot at him. Another possibility is he was a V6 posing with GT badges, but I would think you would beat him by more than a car length in that situation.
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

  4. #3
    VR4
    VR4 is offline
    Registered User VR4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    279
    naw it was a coupe.. def not a v6 exhaust was way too mean soundin. My best guess is that it was a 99 or 00 ford and isnt in the best shape. although i dont want to believe this, im sure it is the case.

  5. #4
    Registered User SGOSWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,059
    I made friends with two guys at our local 1/8 mile. One owns a 99-04 Mustang GT and the other a WRX. Both cars are bone stock.
    In an 1/8 mile drag race the WRX wins everytime (or at least in all their races). But the GT is starting to pull on the WRX at the end of the track. So this definately shows the GT has more power top end. But the cars are very close in speed.

    So a short drag race a WRX definately has the advantage. In a full 1/4 mile race it will be very close with the advantage going to the GT. From a roll at speeds over 60mph the GT definately has an advantage.

  6. #5
    Registered User elohdaeh78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Long Valley, NJ
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    I made friends with two guys at our local 1/8 mile. One owns a 99-04 Mustang GT and the other a WRX. Both cars are bone stock.
    In an 1/8 mile drag race the WRX wins everytime (or at least in all their races). But the GT is starting to pull on the WRX at the end of the track. So this definately shows the GT has more power top end. But the cars are very close in speed.

    So a short drag race a WRX definately has the advantage. In a full 1/4 mile race it will be very close with the advantage going to the GT. From a roll at speeds over 60mph the GT definately has an advantage.

    I disagree the GTs tend to run high to mid 14s stock in the 1/4 while the wrx is a mid to low 14 second car. My supra ran a 13.9 and i would kill GTs from a roll and a dig all day.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

  7. #6
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    I disagree the GTs tend to run high to mid 14s stock in the 1/4 while the wrx is a mid to low 14 second car. My supra ran a 13.9 and i would kill GTs from a roll and a dig all day.
    mis informed. stangs and rex's run just about the same thing. With a stang or wrx enthusiast driving the stang dips into the 13s. Regardless it's a drivers race.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

  8. #7
    Registered User AwdTurboWrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    5,793
    the range of the years makes a big difference..arent the 04 gt's much faster than the 99??..i even made a thread b4 trying to figure out what the 04 gt mustants trap at
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

  9. #8
    Registered User enisguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lincoln Park, NJ
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    the range of the years makes a big difference..arent the 04 gt's much faster than the 99??..i even made a thread b4 trying to figure out what the 04 gt mustants trap at
    Nope... same exact motor/drivetrain. Minor appearance differences. You might be thinking of the 96-98 NPI 4.6L, which was weak as hell and only put around 190 horses to the wheels through a 5-speed.
    2002 WRX Sedan
    Aspen White 5MT... bone stock

  10. #9
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    Quote Originally Posted by enisguy
    Nope... same exact motor/drivetrain. Minor appearance differences. You might be thinking of the 96-98 NPI 4.6L, which was weak as hell and only put around 190 horses to the wheels through a 5-speed.
    exactly, the heads were terrible on that motor.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

  11. #10
    Registered User enisguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lincoln Park, NJ
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by CustomS10
    exactly, the heads were terrible on that motor.
    Yep... cams were also mroe aggressive on the PI model. My friend has a 98 GT and swapped out the heads for PI heads/cams from an '01 GT and it's made a huge difference in his trap speed.
    2002 WRX Sedan
    Aspen White 5MT... bone stock

  12. #11
    Registered User SGOSWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    I disagree the GTs tend to run high to mid 14s stock in the 1/4 while the wrx is a mid to low 14 second car. My supra ran a 13.9 and i would kill GTs from a roll and a dig all day.


    I'm just telling you what I've seen. Both cars being stock the WRX gets a jump off the line. Then at about the 1/8 mile mark the GT starts to pull on the WRX. In a full 1/4 mile I would have to give a GT the advantage (drivers being equal). Either way it should be a very close race. But from a higher speed roll the GT will definately pull on a WRX.

    But as we all know all you need is a mbc on a WRX to change things dramatically.

  13. #12
    Registered User Dan00Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    759
    Keep in mind that 2nd and 3rd are still fairly strong for a WRX. 4th is when the stock turbo WRX loses out big time when playing the "compare 1/4 mile trap speeds" game. So even a car that traps higher in the 1/4 mile, might be only holding even with a WRX up to 90 or so mph, before being able to extend and trap a few mph more at the 1/4 mile mark. Acceleration curves are not linear and can differ dramatically for two cars with similar #'s.


    2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

    Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

  14. #13
    Registered User elohdaeh78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Long Valley, NJ
    Posts
    706
    Whatever you guys say. I go to the track just about every week during the season and i have never onces seen a stock mustang minus a cobra run in the 13s. Low 14s at best and mostly mid to high 14s. I have even seen a few run 15 flat. When i used to race my supra i would beat stock GT's pretty easily and my best time was a 13.9@103mph. I ran from a roll with a 2003 GT with full exhaust gears and intake dead even from a roll in my supra. You can tell me all you want that i am misinformed but for your information i was not informed of my knowledge about this subject i actually witnessed it time and time again.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

  15. #14
    Registered User CustomS10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    7,959
    Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    Whatever you guys say. I go to the track just about every week during the season and i have never onces seen a stock mustang minus a cobra run in the 13s. Low 14s at best and mostly mid to high 14s. I have even seen a few run 15 flat. When i used to race my supra i would beat stock GT's pretty easily and my best time was a 13.9@103mph. I ran from a roll with a 2003 GT with full exhaust gears and intake dead even from a roll in my supra. You can tell me all you want that i am misinformed but for your information i was not informed of my knowledge about this subject i actually witnessed it time and time again.
    ya and some mustang guy is saying the same thing about the wrx. i've only seen it run 14.8x or whatever. it's CAPABLE of a low 14 with a good driver just like a wrx.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

  16. #15
    Registered User enisguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lincoln Park, NJ
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    I go to the track just about every week during the season and i have never onces seen a stock mustang minus a cobra run in the 13s
    Not even an '05?
    2002 WRX Sedan
    Aspen White 5MT... bone stock

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •