WRX Vs. 2000 Eclipse GT
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Vs. 2000 Eclipse GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, i got a question, i own a 2003 Eclipse, and i browse the club3g.com forums which is the ...

WRX Vs. 2000 Eclipse GT

Hey guys, i got a question, i own a 2003 Eclipse, and i browse the club3g.com forums which is the 3rd generation eclipse. I plan on getting a WRX in the near future because my eclispe just isnt fast at all. But some guy on this website raced a WRX with his V6 Eclipse, and i was kinda wondering on the outcome if this is possible or not.

Here's his story:

"Ok, so im on my way home and I get to a stop light in the left hand turn lane. In front of me is this black WRX that I thought was an STI at first, because it had that big wing. I didnt see any STI badging or anything so I was skeptical. Other than the wing, it looked pretty stock (no modified exhaust or anything visible)

I wasnt sure if the guy was going to race because it was an older guy (not stereotyping :wink: ) But as soon as the light turned green, this guy took off, taking the corner quite fast (gotta love the awd) so I persue behind... after he saw me coming after him, he slowed down to about 30 mph, and I got right next to him. I waited for him to gun it, and I did the same. I couldnt believe it, but I was pulling away from him quite easy, by the end of 2nd I was about 1 car ahead, great shift into 3rd.... by the end of 3rd, about a 2 1/2 car lead. I let off at that point, and he pulled up even with me and game me some :thumbsup: he seemed really excited to race

Like I said before, I couldnt believe I pulled on him easily, but after the fact, it made sence if he was completely stock 227 hp on an AWD = what, like 170 to the wheels??? Either way, I know things would have been much different from a stop I probably would have still won, but 1st and 2nd gear I would have been playing catch-up :wink:

Final thoughts:

Him: Base WRX w/ STI wing

ME: 00 Fed Spec GT 5spd, custom axel back exhaust, CAI, underdrive pulley, and S-afc just recently tuned ( took care of that running rich problem)
    My Turbo kit = still sitting in my closet collecting dust"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There is such thing as a base Impreza as well. It could have been an Impreza instead of an Impreza WRX or Impreza WRX STi. For one, I have an STi with a WRX spoiler.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

it could happen, but i doubt it.
    Yea tru love we can find ourselves
    I call our true identies
    Love ya brudda love ya sista
    Love everyone...the univeral sign
    Ill take it from here

Well see he said he was sure it was a WRX because of the hood scoop and dual tipped exhaust. I know there is a base model also, the 2.5 RS, but that only has one exhaust tip and no hood scoop correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Slow3G
    Well see he said he was sure it was a WRX because of the hood scoop and dual tipped exhaust. I know there is a base model also, the 2.5 RS, but that only has one exhaust tip and no hood scoop correct?
    If I can swap my trunk lid, he can swap other parts as well. In fact, when I finish building mine, I'm going for a hood with no scoop and will get a downpipe with cut-out, then use my brother's WRX axle-back for its two-tip muffler. Might be an RS enthusiast. No way a WRX would lose like that unless the driver was half-conscious.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Doesnt make much sense to me.... That car has a mitsubishi 6g72 3.0L block with a sohc 24v head configuration. I think they are good for 205 - 210 at the crank. His mods are maybe good for 10-15hp. Hes not going to pull like that even on a stock wrx. I had a 5 speed 94 stealth with the 6g72 sohc 12v in it (base- 165hp, 185 torque). I used to hang EXACTLY with the V6 eclipses and 4 cyl turbo eclipses until 60. My wrx is at least a second faster 0-60 than my stealth was. Ive smoked turbo eclipses with my stock wrx on the highway and the V6 eclipses are slower than the turbos were i think. Maybe the guy wasnt even racing him!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by creditcards
    it could happen, but i doubt it.

+1, a Rex should have killed it.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    +1, a Rex should have killed it.
    If the car he raced was indeed a stock wrx, then i believe it. A 3rd gen eclipse isn't fast but neither is a stock wrx from a ROLL. If this race was from a dig, i would've called bs. But from a roll, its about even i think.
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

I Support ClubWRX
    With mods, that GT would barely trap 90mph. I haven't seen one run lower than 16s at the track. A stock WRX can hit 95mph traps with no problem. If we're going to play magazine racing, I think it's a lame story or the WRX was auto with a craptastic driver.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

i traded a 03 eclipse gt in for my rex, the rex is most def the faster of the two. sounds like the guy wasent really getting on it or it is a rs. ive raced a buddy of mine with a 2000 eclipse on the track and i beat him both times and my 04 wrx was completley stock, his eclipse had a sem full cold air intake and cat back exuast. get the wrx you wont be sorry. cheers

I cant wait to get a WRX. I'm about sick of my slow ass Eclipse, but hey, its good for now.

Thanks for the comments guys, i just wasn't sure, i've been doing research on the WRX's and that story sounded shady to me.

stock + wrong gear/bad driver = wrx killed

That sounds like an RS, because when I raced my friend's '01 V6 GT, the outcome was about the same except I have a 4EAT and he has a 5 speed, so I lost by about 3 lengths or so.

Quote Originally Posted by zoinks
    I hear a bad shift into 3rd gear really kills the WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by zoinks
    +1. he was probably not to great of a driver and when he slowed down he probaby left it in 4th gear.
    4th gear @ 30mph will cause a wrx to lose like that. I've seen such things happen more than once.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.