STI vs. Z06
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI vs. Z06 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys my names Tony and I just purchased a 2002 WRX. I recently owned an rsx type-s and was ...

STI vs. Z06

Hey guys my names Tony and I just purchased a 2002 WRX. I recently owned an rsx type-s and was a member of club rsx all those guys in that club are the biggest jerks but anyways I hope this is the right place to post this thread cause I posted my thread in club rsx in the wrong place an was *****ed out. So sorry if it is but my question is can a stock STI beat a Z06 a friend of mine said he did but wasn't sure if it was a Z06? What mods will it need to beat it if it cant and what do you guys think about the HKS Hi power exhaust its gonna be my first upgrade? Like I said sorry if this is in the worng place don't be mad Im a noob as club rsx would call me. THanks for all the help I really appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Given equal drivers, the Z06 will win. From a dig the STi will get a hole shot if launced properly, but the Z06 will catch up quickly and the STi will be looking at lights. From a roll, forget about it, too much power, 235 whp vs 375 whp, plus the Z06 weighs about 150-200 lbs less. But there are some people on here who have beaten Z06s with STi's with minimal bolt-ons because the other driver couldn't drive.

Ok i have more power than a stock STi. Not much im 272whp, 260TQ. I took a Z06 to fourth gear. Now he was not getting traction. Also Im sure he wasn't the best driver. Seemed like he just got the car. He was starting to catch me in fourth. So out of the hole a good STi driver will win, but the Z06 will catch up. From a role we will get spanked. But thats why there are bigger turbo's and boost controllers
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by LimboEvoKiller
    Hey guys my names Tony and I just purchased a 2002 WRX. I recently owned an rsx type-s and was a member of club rsx all those guys in that club are the biggest jerks but anyways I hope this is the right place to post this thread cause I posted my thread in club rsx in the wrong place an was *****ed out. So sorry if it is but my question is can a stock STI beat a Z06 a friend of mine said he did but wasn't sure if it was a Z06? What mods will it need to beat it if it cant and what do you guys think about the HKS Hi power exhaust its gonna be my first upgrade? Like I said sorry if this is in the worng place don't be mad Im a noob as club rsx would call me. THanks for all the help I really appreciate it.
    1) congrats on the purchase

2) you have posted in the right forum

3) Stock for stock with equal drivers the Z06 will win. STi is a mid to low 13sec car whereas the Z06 is a mid 12sec car. (405hp model). From a roll, dont even bother. They trap about 8+mph higher and will outrun an STi without breaking a sweat.

4) To beat a Z06 from a dig with an STi you will need a good driver and basic bolt on's. A TBE, and Utec with good tuning will give you a fighting chance from a dig, but once again, dont even think about a roll without an upgraded turbo on it.

5) your friend raced a terrible driver or more than likely a C5.

6) HKS hi power is a nice exhaust. I am more partial to the Carbon Ti, but its considerably more expensive. For good exhausts use the search button and check it out.. there have been millions of threads but to get your started, some real popular ones with our cars are: HKS, Greddy Evo, Apex, etc...
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

ive been on ClubRSX for over 3years (my RSX went off lease in Dec). It has some of the nicest people you will ever meet. The problem is that when you have 32,000 members its easy to meet the not so nice guys. And yes people do complain about poorly placed posts, but when topics have been discussed 100 times and people cant find what they want cus its in the wrong place it can be understandable. Mainly the new ricer kids that are the real problem over there.

Z06 is an amazing car, C6 vettes shouldnt have a problem taking STi's if they get traction, i cant imagine a Z06 having trouble.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

You will kill Z06 like many of the STI/WRX owners did. Just read couple of threads about killing Z06, they are piece of cake and is no match for STI/WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
    You will kill Z06 like many of the STI/WRX owners did. Just read couple of threads about killing Z06, they are piece of cake and is no match for STI/WRX.
    I hope you are using sarcasm. Otherwise leave, because someone with your lack of knowledge is bound to bring the rest of us down.

There are very few people here that have taken a Z06. Every one of them was pushing over 300awhp and only won from a short sprint. I know of 3 members off the top of my head that could take one. Midknight, 13secwrx, and stealthwrx.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Wow guys thanks for all the help ya I was thinking about the Carbon Ti exhust but couldnt remeber the name of it. It sounds like a tough match but if you guys can take them in your STI's congrats for now im just gonna get started with the basic WRX and see what I can do Im gonna be called up in a few weeks to start my tour in Iraq so hopefully if all goes as plannned Ill be back soon enough with some money to fix my WRX up who knows maybe Ill buy an STI feel free to drop me an email because Ill be taking my laptop over seas with me thanks for all the support.

A well driven Z06 should beat an STi in a 1/4 mile drag race everytime.

But I've beaten every Z06 I've raced so far. Thats in my Stage 4 WRX and STi.

I beat a Z06 with a 13.0 @ 104 mph run.

At a local Corvette Event I watched about 6 different Z06s that couldn't do any better than low 13s.

So it takes some sticky tires and a good driver to get the most out of a Z06.

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    A well driven Z06 should beat an STi in a 1/4 mile drag race everytime.

But I've beaten every Z06 I've raced so far. Thats in my Stage 4 WRX and STi.

I beat a Z06 with a 13.0 @ 104 mph run.

At a local Corvette Event I watched about 6 different Z06s that couldn't do any better than low 13s.

So it takes some sticky tires and a good driver to get the most out of a Z06.
    in the real world more often you will see a Z06 run low 13s instead of 12s, thats basically because a perfect run is less likely than an imperfect one.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Yes, yes, keep believing that Z06 is just a slow 13 second car. Never mind that in C5 forums, specifically, Z06vette.com where 98% of them run mid to low 12 seconds stock, with few cases of high 11s stock. Yeah, I know they are just fabricating their track times.

Yes, yes, keep believing that Z06 is just a slow 13 second car. Never mind that in C5 forums, specifically, Z06vette.com where 98% of them run mid to low 12 seconds stock, with few cases of high 11s stock. Yeah, I know they are just fabricating their track times.
    I think you are missing what they are trying to say. No one is arguing that the Z06 cant pull off mid 12sec times at a track... What they are saying is that when your not on a prep'd track and in "street" conditions, the Z06 will not be putting the power down nearly as well as it should... Which is why many high 12sec wrx will pull a Z06 because on the street, traction and conditions are not a factor for us, where as it is a LARGE factor for you guys.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar

It would be funny if everyone thought that....

I can't wait for the summer and sticky tires.

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning

Guys on the forums are also typically more educated about their Z06's, and more likely to be able to drive it better. Also, everyone only posts their best times. They don't mention the times they screwed up a run and ran 8/10's slower than their best on the previous run. I've had some low 13 second runs in my Hawk, and some high 13 second runs on my WRX. Just because the car is capable, doesn't mean that the driver will be consistent with it.

And I've watched Butcher (Kevin in the MFBA) run his Z06 with just headers and ET streets to mid 11's at over 120 mph, so I know the car is capable in the right hands. But there are more than enough tenderfoots out there that will also make it look like a regular C5 going down the track...

Can't wait for the new C6 Z06. Looks like that it will be a 7.0 liter, 500 HP, with estimated 1/4 mile times around 11.6 at 128 mph in stock trim.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Turbo

Thanks for all the comments on the Z06 vs the STI does anybody know what turbo would be good to get my 1/4 mile times into the high to mid 12's. Im pretty much in betweeh the HKS GT-RS kit and the Greddy kit but I dont know which one will give me better times. I like the kits since they are complete with everything I need to get the job done any help would be great Im gonna have a lot of time to think between the two as I will be shipped out very soon thank you very much for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast