Question for our Audi friends :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Question for our Audi friends :) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If anyone can help me out, I'd be grateful My dad's looking to buy a new car and he REALLY ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

Question for our Audi friends :)

If anyone can help me out, I'd be grateful My dad's looking to buy a new car and he REALLY wants an Audi (no thanks to me, of course! ). Of course, he's going to want a slushbox no matter what, so what I want to know (just to feed my curiosity) is how much slower are the tiptronics compared to the manuals? I heard from somewhere (don't remember exactly) that Audis have some of the best torque converters out there, since they don't have that tendancy to have catch again after you let off the gas, so that's why I wonder. Anyone have any answers?
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know the answers to your question... but if your dad wants a REAL RS4 he only needs 90k. I have a friend who imported one and wants to sell it. I'm pretty sure its a manual though.

p@
    www.achtuning.com

the A series audi's dont have that much torque
    but.........
    the S series on the other hand have a bit more
    i dont know the exact #s but im pretty sure they are pretty fast machines

The new Audi Tip's use a CVT system. I personally havent looked into them yet, but I am looking into gettin an Audi Auto for hauling stuff around.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Again, the big question is...how fast/slow is an auto Audi (with the new CVT) vs. a manual Audi?
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

str
    This might help:
    http://www.car-stats.com/stats/search/choosemodel.aspx

has stats for the different mode; Audi's. I've seen A4's on the highway and they can get going pretty good. Thier no S4 but I wouldn't say they are slow, they just don't have any hard pull acceleration wise.
    2004 Black Forester XT

stock WRX vs. stock Audi S4

0-60 it will be head to head
    but in the long run it will kill our cars
    but the S4 is a pretty $$$ car

i say get a WRX and put $1,000 or even less into the hood the S4 will not even stand a chance

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks str...that helped with my questions

Audis have some of the best torque converters out there, since they don't have that tendancy to have catch again after you let off the gas, so that's why I wonder.....

The main reason is that the audi uses a torsen differential. Subaru uses a viscous coupling differential. A good explaination of the differences can be found here:

Types of 4WD Rally car 4WD
    '02 WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    Godspeed Uppipe
    K&N filter
    Synthetic Oil
    more to come

Only one word "RS6"

Enough said this car will decimate all with a custom chip!!!

"WITH AN AUTOMATIC"

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by stupid fast 5.0
    Only one word "RS6"

Enough said this car will decimate all with a custom chip!!!

"WITH AN AUTOMATIC"
    LOL trust me if my my dad had 80 grand he'd be all over that...

Side bar Audi question. I've noticed an alarmingly high number of automatics in Audi's. Is that more the norm with the Tiptronic do-dad being so popular? I can't imagine buying such a high quality car and getting an auto tranny, but I think in that price class I might be in the minority.

I saw BMW has the shifter that is an automatic but acts like a manual, but it is only in the top of line car they make for now. It has an H patern I think, as opposed to plus and minus kind of thing. Are they the ones with the padle shifter too?
    ----------------------------------------
    '02 Blue Sportwagon
    No mods - yet
    Starting with the rear sway bar and anti-lift kit...one day....I have faith

Originally posted by Verdugo

LOL trust me if my my dad had 80 grand he'd be all over that...

That's kind of an important question. How much is he looking to spend? What size car is he looking to get into. I've got an A4 1.8T and while I love the car it's rather small.

Granted it's a 99 and the 2002's are a fair bit bigger they're still not that large. The new 3.0L engine is pretty nice with 220hp, or if he's not afraid to mod he could look at a 1.8T, buy a chip, save some money and have similar performance but without the smoothness of a v6.

Same 3.0L V6 is the new base engine in the A6, but that's a $40K+ car.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Griswold

That's kind of an important question. How much is he looking to spend? What size car is he looking to get into. I've got an A4 1.8T and while I love the car it's rather small.

Granted it's a 99 and the 2002's are a fair bit bigger they're still not that large. The new 3.0L engine is pretty nice with 220hp, or if he's not afraid to mod he could look at a 1.8T, buy a chip, save some money and have similar performance but without the smoothness of a v6.

Same 3.0L V6 is the new base engine in the A6, but that's a $40K+ car.
    Right now his price range is under 50k for sure. He's trying to decide between the A6 2.7T or the A6 4.2. He really likes the A6's styling, which is also why he likes the RS6 so much too...heh

Originally posted by Verdugo

Right now his price range is under 50k for sure. He's trying to decide between the A6 2.7T or the A6 4.2. He really likes the A6's styling, which is also why he likes the RS6 so much too...heh
    Either of those cars will be a blast. The 2.7T is the same engine that's in the S4. If he wants to drop $500 he can extract more power out of that engine that he will out of the 4.2. Chipped S4 is in the 310 to 320 hp. You can get a 6spd I believe, as well.

The 4.2 is a sweet engine. 300hp, but no manual...I think, but you mentioned he's looking for an auto anyways. Mind you all Audi Autos are at least tiptronic / Manumatic/ whatever you want to call it. The 4.2 also has some more agressive styling with flared fenders, different wheels, etc. Looks REALLY sweet.

Regardless, he won't be disappointed with either car, however a 4.2 A6 will probably put him into the 52K to 55K range, where the 2.7T will be under 50k.

Audi had been having some turbo reliability issues on the 2.7T in the S4, but they were NEVER really present in the A6 body presumably because the larger engine bay allowed for greater heat dissipation. Also, I believe Audi started updating the oil return lines on all 2.7T engines because they were believed to be at fault. Going from memory, so forgive me for any errors.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.