What do u guys think of the Chevy Cobalt SS? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on What do u guys think of the Chevy Cobalt SS? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by bthomas6674 Funny, I have owned a few Chevy’s and I believe buying a WRX was a step ...

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bthomas6674
    Funny, I have owned a few Chevy’s and I believe buying a WRX was a step down. The only reason I did not wait for the SS was no AWD. There is no way the WRX would handle the "Abuse" that I put my old Z24 through. She may rattle a little bit in 16 years of owning it never stranded me anywhere. When I would ask for 120% she would give me 130% That will be hard to beat. But you really can compare to two. A full cast iron V6 is more durable than any aluminum block 4 banger motor.

When I can I plan to test drive an SS. I hope I don’t like it. But after driving my 2005 for three months now I am a little disappointed in it. I read these forums for awhile before buying it. Mainly “WRX –Vs- the World”. I guess I was expecting more with all the hype and “Kills”. Going from a healthy moded V6 to a turbo 4 was a big change though. Can’t beat the WRX in the snow though.

WOW... step Down????

My car has never done me Wrong!! I drive the sh1t out of her almost every day and also...she has been Drag raced 2days every week for 7months.... SHE is STill stronger then ever. I love my Yellow Beast and could never turn on her..ever!! She is a Bad A$$ street car too!!
    Last edited by 03WRX_YELLOW; 01-06-2005 at 11:17 AM.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bthomas6674
    Funny, I have owned a few Chevy’s and I believe buying a WRX was a step down. The only reason I did not wait for the SS was no AWD. There is no way the WRX would handle the "Abuse" that I put my old Z24 through. She may rattle a little bit in 16 years of owning it never stranded me anywhere. When I would ask for 120% she would give me 130% That will be hard to beat. But you really can compare to two. A full cast iron V6 is more durable than any aluminum block 4 banger motor.

When I can I plan to test drive an SS. I hope I don’t like it. But after driving my 2005 for three months now I am a little disappointed in it. I read these forums for awhile before buying it. Mainly “WRX –Vs- the World”. I guess I was expecting more with all the hype and “Kills”. Going from a healthy moded V6 to a turbo 4 was a big change though. Can’t beat the WRX in the snow though.
    Seriously, please don't tell me you're comparing a 16 year old Z24 with the WRX and saying that you would rather have the Z24. You "modded" the 3.1 efi? And got what, 10 whp? It's only 150 crank to start with, and FWD. Start modding your WRX and you won't feel bad about buying it one bit. Go straight to stage 2 if you miss the torque. Stage 4 will suck you back in your seat as well as any car that's reasonably priced, including a corvette. 270 - 290 whp, mid/high 12's and AWD, can't beat that. Just be nice to your tranny.

I had a 92 Z24 in high school and thought that car was quick. Give me a break. A stock 92 foxbody mustang is slow compared to the cars running around on the street now. Note I said stock. Apples and oranges, my friend.

Like many have said earlier, I think the SS is a noble (albeit very late) stab at this market segment. I'm sure the quality is fine and all, but it's FWD and who knows how it will take to modding, and how much it will cost to get any horsepower out of it. I'd take an SRT 4 at that price, and for 4k in mods not much will take an SRT 4, those things are sick. But no thanks, I'll take AWD and the proven, bolt on upgrades that make the wrx so great.
    My transmission hates me. So does my wife because of this car.

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-H
    +1

I can understand the loyalty thing because I have been loyal to Subaru. I have had two Chevys and the resale value is just horrible. My last chevy was a pimped out Chevy Blazer. I lost 7k selling the thing.....I must have been smarter and figured out myself that GM had put out 1,000,000,000 blazers that year

Anyway, the car was good and all.

It has been proven that japanese cars are much more reliable than ANY american built car. Yeah, once in a while you hear of uncle Jim putting 200,000miles on his ford truck, but you can go out and look for hondas, toyotas, subarus with 100k+ that still run great, and you will find a ton of them out there.

I like the fact that GM is putting the car out, it will make WRX cheaper (more competition).

Overall it is a personal opinion and people are entitled to them. I really like this forum because EVERYONE can come on here and talk about their cars (other than SUBARU also!) and everyone is open minded and are open to friendly discussions. This is great, I am a car enthusiast and anything car talk interests me.

Sorry for the long post. Just my $0.02

I agree with you. I like most sporty cars if they are respectable, and the more I read up on the new Cobalt SS, the more respect I have for it. I just think more people should read up on it before they take out there prejudice, " It's a Chevy, it's crap" standpoints. Right now I am defending the WRX and EVO on a Vette forum...

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

poo>Chevy
    04 Cayenne Red XT....b1tch.
    Cobb Stage 2 Protune on the way....
    Kartboy SS
    bling free since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by cbr600f3
    poo>Chevy

You are an ign0rant ret@rd. No better than the guys on the Chevy forums that call EVOs and WRX's rice crap....

PICS & MODS

I just think that the domestic makers are missing some of the point with their entries to the market.

big displacement (relative) and low end torque dont' like FWD. if they want to make these cars appealing they should know what to do. Give these cars a decent suspension and rwd and they would be 2x faster. the drag race mentatlity should have been carried over to the powertrain aswell. .02
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by svc
    Fvk the elves, it's bling season

Sponsored by: BoostBuddy.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW
    You are an ign0rant ret@rd. No better than the guys on the Chevy forums that call EVOs and WRX's rice crap....

I don't think he deserved that for expressing his opinion.

astricii - freaky azz avatar!
    Dino
    - '03 WRX sedan - SOLD (Jan 07)
    - '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Stock)
    - '05 Volvo S60R - stock (Stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I don't think he deserved that for expressing his opinion.

Poo> Chevy is not an ignorant/ retarded remark? Please, if someone started shouting poo> Subaru, it would start a sh!tstorm, trust me....

Express your opinion in a more mature manner.

PICS & MODS

J-H
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex
    astricii - freaky azz avatar!

I know.....he promised to take it down after halloween.....I have nightmares now....

BTW, I will download the pics from my DC so that you guys can see the 272hp cobalt...pretty impressive if you ask me...

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

I Support ClubWRX
    Poo> Chevy is not an ignorant/ retarded remark? Please, if someone started shouting poo> Subaru, it would start a sh!tstorm, trust me....

Express your opinion in a more mature manner.

We're on a Subaru forum, of course it would start a ishtstorm. If I said that on a Chevy forum I would expect it to start one also. He is here because he likes Subaru, not chevy. If you didn't own a Vette, you wouldn't have blinked at that remark. He didn't directly insult you, so you shouldn't have directly insulted him.

We're on a Subaru forum, of course it would start a ishtstorm. If I said that on a Chevy forum I would expect it to start one also. He is here because he likes Subaru, not chevy. If you didn't own a Vette, you wouldn't have blinked at that remark. He didn't directly insult you, so you shouldn't have directly insulted him.

Sorry that I took " poo>chevy" as an ignorant comment, what was I thinking. I am sick of defending good domestic cars here and good imports there.... You guys can feel free to rip on anything that isn't your own, proceed.

PICS & MODS

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry that I took " poo>chevy" as an ignorant comment, what was I thinking. I am sick of defending good domestic cars here and good imports there.... You guys can feel free to rip on anything that isn't your own, proceed.

It's just opinion man, don't take it so seriously. Him thinking Chevys are poo doesn't hurt that vette of yours. I personally think some Chevys are awesome (like your vette), and think some are absolute crap. (and yes, I've owned many)

Southpaw is right... poo>chevy is very immature and shouldn't be something that is tolerated here. This forum has a reputation as being very open-minded and respectful so why would you defend that guy?? Now i don't own a chevy but they aren't sh!t.
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

It's just opinion man, don't take it so seriously. Him thinking Chevys are poo doesn't hurt that vette of yours. I personally think some Chevys are awesome (like your vette), and think some are absolute crap. (and yes, I've owned many)

I just don't like it when people make bias, generalized statements like that. Again, when I bought my WRX three years ago, people said, "Subaru? Subaru is crap! They don't make performance cars!" Then they didn't, now they do. You got WRX, STi, Forester XT, Legacy GT, and then a whole bunch of slower cars that many still cosider < poo. My point is there are a few good Chevys so don't bash the whole name, that's all.

PICS & MODS

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast