What do u guys think of the Chevy Cobalt SS? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on What do u guys think of the Chevy Cobalt SS? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW Here is a quote from the mag; "How good is it? In testing, the Cobalt SS ...

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW
    Here is a quote from the mag;

"How good is it? In testing, the Cobalt SS is the fastest regular-production front-drive car through the slalom we've tested in three years, rocking through the cones even faster than the new Corvette Z51. The SS out cornered the VW R32 on the skid pad, outgunned the Mini Cooper S 0-60 mph, and out stopped the Subaru Impreza WRX."

... It only weighs 2800 lbs, and it traps at 98.2 mph!

Watch out on the highway!

Good God! I have no idea that the car was rocking those kinds of skills

That sounds really impressive. And the fact that it outhandled the VW R32 says a lot considering the VW R32 outhandled the STi AND Evo!!! With leather, handling, looks, etc... this car is looking to be pretty nice. The only thing it lacks in is performance and I am sure a pulley and exhaust would have the thing near 13's with 103mph traps!!!
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Good God! I have no idea that the car was rocking those kinds of skills

That sounds really impressive. And the fact that it outhandled the VW R32 says a lot considering the VW R32 outhandled the STi AND Evo!!! With leather, handling, looks, etc... this car is looking to be pretty nice. The only thing it lacks in is performance and I am sure a pulley and exhaust would have the thing near 13's with 103mph traps!!!

^^^

Exactly what I was thinking.

When this thing has a rebate, I think I might have to pick one up...
    Then I'll have two Chevys in the garage!

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Let's keep this in perspective.

The skidpad test should be called the tire test and is not a good indication of overall handling, IMO. Do you really think the SS "outhandles" the R32, STi, and Evo? Hell no...it just out-skidpadded the VW and the supercharger giving instant torque squirts in the slalom didn't hurt, either.

Faster than the Cooper S? Whoopee.

Better brakes than a WRX? Again, not a big deal because we don't have such great stoppers.

I will give it credit for a nice trap speed, though. The SRT-4 kicks the hell out of it in potential, though...and in the end it's still a Chevy economy car (yeah, flame on beeshes...the Cavalier ruled too, right?).

For $23k, I'll take a WRX, thank ya very much. Not bad Chevy, but you've still got a lot of catching up to do, IMO.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96

The skidpad test should be called the tire test and is not a good indication of overall handling, IMO. Do you really think the SS "outhandles" the R32, STi, and Evo? Hell no...it just out-skidpadded the VW and the supercharger giving instant torque squirts in the slalom didn't hurt, either.

Better brakes than a WRX? Again, not a big deal because we don't have such great stoppers.

I will give it credit for a nice trap speed, though. The SRT-4 kicks the hell out of it in potential, though...and in the end it's still a Chevy economy car (yeah, flame on beeshes...the Cavalier ruled too, right?).

For $23k, I'll take a WRX, thank ya very much. Not bad Chevy, but you've still got a lot of catching up to do, IMO.

ahhhh, your raise good points. way to think logically.

I give chevy mad credit for what they have done though... not just with this car, but also the C6. Seems that American Engineers are finally starting to catch onto what the japs have been doing for 15+ years.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar

You forgot about the Vette. Yeah, the "instant sqirts of torque" from the dinky super charged 2.0 were enough to take out the instant torque from a 6.0 liter... big deal, right.

With a pully and exhaust, it might just be in stage 2 territory....with a higher trap speed.

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree...they seem to be doing better. And I've liked the Vette for a long time. But I still think that GM, as a whole, is about 10 years behind the times. Every new car launch brings all sorts of hype about "things being different this time" (Alero, anyone?) ...but it's usually the same old story about a crappy, low-tech, unreliable car falling prey to superiorly engineered Japanese and some German rivals. Note I'm not talking about the Vette and a few Caddies...just the rest of the stinky pile.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I agree...they seem to be doing better. And I've liked the Vette for a long time. But I still think that GM, as a whole, is about 10 years behind the times. Every new car launch brings all sorts of hype about "things being different this time" (Alero, anyone?) ...but it's usually the same old story about a crappy, low-tech, unreliable car falling prey to superiorly engineered Japanese and some German rivals. Note I'm not talking about the Vette and a few Caddies...just the rest of the stinky pile.
    lol, you pretty much hit the nail on the head
    Just call me Clark Kent

Glad to see everyone here keeps an open mind about something they haven't sat in, let alone driven... Who cares what badge is on the car? Judge it on it's merits and it's faults. Not what it's related to... Alero? Come on... Should we talk about the Subaru Justy when talking about a WRX?

Nice to see GM bringing something competent to the sport compact market. I'd like to check one out, and also see what mod potential they'll end up having.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I just don't see the fun in a FWD performance car, but the SRT-4 sells, so what do I know?

but it's usually the same old story about a crappy, low-tech, unreliable car falling prey to superiorly engineered Japanese and some German rivals. Note I'm not talking about the Vette and a few Caddies...just the rest of the stinky pile.

Funny, I have owned a few Chevy’s and I believe buying a WRX was a step down. The only reason I did not wait for the SS was no AWD. There is no way the WRX would handle the "Abuse" that I put my old Z24 through. She may rattle a little bit in 16 years of owning it never stranded me anywhere. When I would ask for 120% she would give me 130% That will be hard to beat. But you really can compare to two. A full cast iron V6 is more durable than any aluminum block 4 banger motor.

When I can I plan to test drive an SS. I hope I don’t like it. But after driving my 2005 for three months now I am a little disappointed in it. I read these forums for awhile before buying it. Mainly “WRX –Vs- the World”. I guess I was expecting more with all the hype and “Kills”. Going from a healthy moded V6 to a turbo 4 was a big change though. Can’t beat the WRX in the snow though.

Quote Originally Posted by bthomas6674
    Funny, I have owned a few Chevy’s and I believe buying a WRX was a step down.
    im speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoostCreep
    Pretty weak answer. An SRT-4 would murder one of those. Start modding both....forget about it.
    ^^^^^ what he said
    TINA..... come eat your ham!!!

04 white wrx wagon stage 2.5

I just love the way people justify cars in their minds. It’s like a parent’s ‘favorite’ child – they can do no wrong. Take a car for what it is, not who made it. Am I a fan of the Cobalt? Not particularly, but I have to give it props for the upgraded interior and WRX-like performance. I hate knowing it could give my rex a run for it’s money, but that doesn’t mean I will bash it to justify my car choice....

My $.02.
    Dino
    - '03 WRX sedan - SOLD (Jan 07)
    - '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Stock)
    - '05 Volvo S60R - stock (Stock)

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex
    I have to give it props for the upgraded interior and WRX-like performance. I hate knowing it could give my rex a run for it’s money,

I feel ya...but I dont really like chevys to much.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

J-H
    Quote Originally Posted by silverTEG
    im speechless.

+1

I can understand the loyalty thing because I have been loyal to Subaru. I have had two Chevys and the resale value is just horrible. My last chevy was a pimped out Chevy Blazer. I lost 7k selling the thing.....I must have been smarter and figured out myself that GM had put out 1,000,000,000 blazers that year

Anyway, the car was good and all.

It has been proven that japanese cars are much more reliable than ANY american built car. Yeah, once in a while you hear of uncle Jim putting 200,000miles on his ford truck, but you can go out and look for hondas, toyotas, subarus with 100k+ that still run great, and you will find a ton of them out there.

I like the fact that GM is putting the car out, it will make WRX cheaper (more competition).

Overall it is a personal opinion and people are entitled to them. I really like this forum because EVERYONE can come on here and talk about their cars (other than SUBARU also!) and everyone is open minded and are open to friendly discussions. This is great, I am a car enthusiast and anything car talk interests me.

Sorry for the long post. Just my $0.02

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast