What do u guys think of the Chevy Cobalt SS? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on What do u guys think of the Chevy Cobalt SS? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The Ion Redline is also a 98-99 mph car? I didn't give them credit for being that fast; I assumed ...

The Ion Redline is also a 98-99 mph car? I didn't give them credit for being that fast; I assumed around 94-95 mph.

No wonder the only Redline that tried me in my Stealth looked so confident. We were waiting at a redlight that led to an interstate on-ramp and he was revving at me the whole time, like I would experience some kind of lesson when the light turned green.

Unfortunately it was only a 1-lane on-ramp so I couldn't go by him when the green hit. Let's just say that when we reached the interstate and I could actually go WOT, he got the opportunity to see I was not stock.

He tried several times from 70 and 80 mph rolls but it was devastating for him each time. I mean "instant buslengths" when we hit it.

Oh well, now I have the Legacy. If one of these cars keeps up with me, I'll have to start seeing which vendors have turbos ready
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    He may have been refering to the reliability issues and poor build quality.
    Reliability issues and poor build quality??? I have owned a few Chevy’s in my life. Have put over 200K on them, one was a Ford only 180K. Very few problems. Mostly rusty exhaust, worn out alternator, water pump, CV joint but fishing string got wrapped around boot and cut it. Plus normal brakes, belts, hoses, tires ext.

I have always kind of laughed when magazines talk build quality in a new car. In my book you can not tell how well a car is built until it is over 10 years old and has over 100K on it. All my Chevy’s and Fords have passed with flying colors. I keep cars for a long time. I am still very nervous about buying a WRX. One of my Chevy’s is a 1986 200K, still runs great, rusty, but still runs and drives great. Hmmm, Will I still have my 2005 WRX in 2024??? Time will tell.
    Last edited by bthomas6674; 01-03-2005 at 08:00 AM.

I was reading about this car this morning in the new Motor Trend. 2.0 supercharged. 0-60 in 6secs, 14.5@98. They said it outcornered an R32 on the skidpad, faster than a Cooper S 0-60, and out-stops the WRX. It looks like a neat little car. But if I were looking for a sporty FWD car under 20k, I'd get an SRT-4.

Maybe theyr trying to compete with the RSX also
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    He may have been refering to the reliability issues and poor build quality.
    i think your mistaking chevy for ford... hense rustangs
    05 STi....supercars....meet your kryptonite

J-H
    I saw 2 at the San Diego autoshow.

224hp and 272hp. The 272 looked pretty sweet but no price tag.

I will post the pictures.

IMHO the SRT-4 is teh winner, without a doubt.
    My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

This is quite funny I got into a big email debate with this guy at work and I owned him. Here's some of it.

Actually I am taking the ONLY time I have found. The Cobalt is faster than the Saturn. When I say MT I mean Motor Trend, not manual trans. So it seems your $25-6,000 dollar car is as fast as Chevy's $21,000 car. Boy… that is something to be proud of. I would love to watch you race one! Ha ha ha and this is only the first year… Since Chevy has made nearly 800hp out ouf that engine, it has a lot of potential.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 9:54 AM
    To: Chris Kincaid
    Subject: RE: You'd better watch who you race

Well that's funny because the car only comes in a MT.

Oh and here are the "facts".

http://car-stats.com/stats/showstats...tsgivenid.aspx This was obtained from car and driver go to there web site.

http://www.modernracer.com/imprezawrx.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=2588 This is a different one but still faster and they say it’s the slowest wrx they ever tested. At 31,971 miles, the check-engine light came on. I checked, the engine's still there. This car costs 3 grand more than the Chevy… in 2002! It does not beat it by much. Ha ha ha
    — Dworin

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...wrx/index.html hahahahaha you can't even get your facts right, 0-60 in the wagon which weighs a 100 pounds more in 5.8. You just got owned. - Gee 2 tenths faster than the SS with 20+HP. Boy… impressive!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ct/index1.html There more from your "fact" site. Here the 1/4 times are even slower and the car costs 27 grand! 6 grand more than the Chevy!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1 owned again.

Your taking the fastest time you found so I'll take the fastest time I found and you get destroyed, I couldn't find one site that didn't have the wrx listed under 6 seconds. There is no difference from the ion red-line to the cobalt same torque and power at the same rpm. It's a Saturn hahahahah, (it is different than the Saturn) lets not forget my car was listed in the 10 best cars on almost every site for 2 years, they compared it to BMW and Audi cars that cost twice as much and Edmunds had it as there second most important car of 2002. Show me one Chevrolet sports car outside of maybe the vette in the last 10 years that has done that. (Show me another Chevy sports car that existed besides the Vette! - The F-Bodies were not sports cars…) The wrx started a craze in it's self half the import sports car's wouldn't even be here if the wrx didn't pave the way including your little Saturn SS. Please… even I know the rice craze started before the wrx exisited… Motor trend also has the rsx-type-s listed at 0-60 in 6.2 go on the Acura sites no one has ever ran that time stock with that car.

Oh and it isn't even close to the fastest FWD the srt-4 would destroy it. - Then why did Motor Trend say that? You need to get the mag...

Brad Southern
    Wiring Technician
    Phone :- 735-2988
    Nextel :- 994-5522

Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 8:44 AM
    To: Bradley Southern

They must have tuned the Chevy different. MT got 14.5 at 98 mph and 0-60 in 6.0. They said the slalom speed is faster than a new Z51 Vette. They also said it was the fastest FWD car they have tested in over 3 years. MT said your car was 14.5 at 93 and 0-60 in 6.1. Sorry… but facts is facts. :-) And I am sure the Chevy has a lower sticker new...

Chris Kincaid, MCSE
    Test Center Technician - Avocent Support
    Phone: 309-735-9373
    Nextel: 309-994-0537

Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 8:38 AM
    To: Chris Kincaid

BS it’s the exact same vehicle as the Saturn ion redline which does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds and the quarter in the high14-low 15s and there's a 100 pound difference between the two. So unless they came up with some magical way of making the same motor and trany making the same power faster.

Oh here are some stats I just pulled.

Top speed : 143 mph
    0-60 mph : 6.4 sec.
    0-¼ mile : 14.9 sec @ 95.5 mph
    60-0 braking distance : 121 ft(estimated)
    200 ft skidpad : 0.86 g
    That’s a joke my car can pull a 0-60 a second faster than that and almost finish the quarter a second faster, wow what a beast. It skidpads about the same and it has wider rims and mine has 16s and it comes with better wider tires, there goes your handling. Lets not forget its wrong wheel drive so its doomed from the start, why do you think there isn't any fwd racing cars. FWD has horrible under steer and sucks on a track course because of it. Face it this Saturn rip off sucks.

Brad Southern
    Wiring Technician
    Phone :- 735-2988
    Nextel :- 994-5522

Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 7:59 AM
    To: Bradley Southern
    Subject: You'd better watch who you race

I got the new Motor Trend. It has a very favorable review of the Cobalt SS Supercharged. It will out handle, out brake and get the same 0-60 and 1/4 times as your fancy 4x4 pancake turbo. That is with 22 less HP. Your car must be a boat. The article specifically mentions your car does not brake as well. It actually has a faster 1/4 trap speed than your car. Oh yeah… the new Mini S will beat your car too.

They really like the Cobalt SS. It uses Quiet Steel, liquid motor mounts, Quife (spelling?) differential, Pirelli tires, etc.

Oh yeah… my car was faster stock than all 3, yours, the Mini S and the SS. Ha!

Chris Kincaid, MCSE
    Test Center Technician - Avocent Support
    Phone: 309-735-9373
    Nextel: 309-994-0537

Quote Originally Posted by wingwestwrx
    i think your mistaking chevy for ford... hense rustangs
    Ford is no spectacular car either... Chevy is better than ford, I will give it that, but my personal experience is that they dont hold up nearly as well as many suggest.
    I have seen a handful of Z28's and SS's go down the crapper, and several others. I will not argue about this though... its just waiting for a domestic vs import battle...
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Nice thing about the Cobalt motor is it will come with forged crank, rods and pistons. Will also have Na filled exhaust valves. I have also read it is much lighter than the Red Line. It was nice of GM to do all the hard stuff for us. All we have to do is bolt stuff on and hold on. Now only if the trans was a proven design. I may go and test drive an SS once they’re sitting on the lot. But after driving my WRX in the snow she will be hard to give up. Even “if” the Cobalt is quicker. Who knows they my be sleeping demons waiting to be woken up.

The cobalt will not be quicker stock, mod for mod it will get destroyed also. Its only a 100 pounds lighter than the redline wow.

If the Cobalt can run a low 14 at 100mph, I would probably buy one of those over an SRT-4 in a heart beat. I love the SRT-4, don't get me wrong, but I like the way the Cobalt looks a lot better than the SRT-4. Heated leather seats, a Pioneer premium(MP3) amplified sound system, and a better looking interior are all appealing to me. The only negatives I can think of is FWD and that spoiler.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

To me, a car's potential is more important than how fast it is when you drive it home from the dealership. On a supercharged car, you aren't going to go much faster (ie, raise the boost) without a reasonable investment and labor -- they never make changing the pulley easy.

In a turbo car, slap in a MBC and you're on your way, especially considering how far the SRT's stock turbo has been proven to go.

I do agree the Dodge needs a nicer interior. They should offer a model for $2-3k more with all the options. The "fast stripper" kind of car is fun, but going fast with power windows & upgraded interior isn't too much to ask either.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar

What do u guys think of the Chevy Cobalt SS?

I like it. I like the SRT4, too. No doubt the SRT4 has a slight performance and price edge, but I think the SS takes the lead in build quality, looks, and interior. Like others have said, since this is Chevy's stab at the sport compact market, I beleive they will start to offer either mods, or a more powerful model. I wouldn't mind having a Yellow or red one in my garage parked next to my Vette... I am still not a fan of FWD, in either car...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PV__021578__.jpg  
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    This is sort of OT, but this Cobalier looks like it has 9" rims or something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails warranty_home.jpg  
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    I think its just the angle the pic was made with...

those looks like the 14" on my g/f old corolla
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    They do look a little small for 18s in that pic...

I just finished reading the review in Motor Trend and all I have to say is that this car should be taken more seriously. Here is a quote from the mag;

"How good is it? In testing, the Cobalt SS is the fastest regular-production front-drive car through the slalom we've tested in three years, rocking through the cones even faster than the new Corvette Z51. The SS out cornered the VW R32 on the skid pad, outgunned the Mini Cooper S 0-60 mph, and out stopped the Subaru Impreza WRX."

... It only weighs 2800 lbs, and it traps at 98.2 mph!

Watch out on the highway!

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast