Smoked an Eclipse Last Night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Smoked an Eclipse Last Night within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hopefully you guys won't find this another of my boring "WRX vs." posts which nobody responds to. Fact is, I ...

Smoked an Eclipse Last Night

Hopefully you guys won't find this another of my boring "WRX vs." posts which nobody responds to. Fact is, I don't street race much - never challenge anyone and pick my spots carefully whether to respond when somebody challenges me. And dang, guess when they see an old guy driving, nobody wants to race - wheras chuglobal can't even back out of his garage without somebody revving on him. I think racing is generally something better left for the track - but if somebody throws down the gauntlet and insults the honor of Subaru - you just gotta step up sometimes and make a statement.

Anyhow, I'm driving home from work last night, not that far from the plant but far enough that the car is warmed up. I'm in the middle lane, Mitusbishi Eclipse next to me in the right lane. I didn't pay him much mind, light goes green and we roll away. All of the sudden, he punches it. LOL, the guy wants to race a WRX. Okay.

I speed up too, but he's pulled out a few car lengths on me. Still kind of a populated area, so I keep pace but don't go all out. I check out his car. It's not the new "corrugated garbage-can-sides" model, but the older "fat-ass" body style. Not totally ricey, but kind of a wierd lime-green color with some big Japanese character sticker on the back.

We're now getting close to the freeway and there's a very nice on-ramp where I know I can make my move and in safety if things work out right. On-ramp is a 90 degree right turn off of the street we're on, two lanes wide. Most people always pick the right lane for some reason. I'm coming up on him now, he stays on it and heads for the right lane, me to the left. On the inside arc, his turn is therefore sharper, he has to brake earlier and harder. I pull alongside, braking deeper. We're into the turn, I get hard on the gas as we apex and I'm GONE. Just that quick. WOT up the incline and I've pulled 5-6 carlengths by the time it's time to shift to third. He gives up and his lights fade rapidly in my mirrors.

Yeah, big deal, it was only an Eclipse. I know. I feel so ashamed of myself.
    Last edited by ScoobySteve; 09-06-2002 at 03:51 PM.
    Old, but not slow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hey a kill is a kill good job. do you know what kind of eclipse(GSX, RS etc...)
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Grats on a "safe as can be" street altercation and the win!

Aloha,
    Richard...

Good job Steve. I'm in the same boat as you; an old guy nobody wants to race. I suppose the younger guys don't think we have it in us.

I owned a 95 Eclipse, GST, and it was fast. I never did any tuning on it because of personal reasons though. In fact, I never even installed a K&N filter. But it would cruise easily above 120 mph and I don't feel real comfortable in my rex much above 100 mph.

If you raced a GST or a GSX, while they're not Porsches, they're not slugs either. You represented us old guys real good!

Now, if only I could get a real challenge.

It's coming.

misterx

Originally posted by MisterX

If you raced a GST or a GSX, while they're not Porsches, they're not slugs either. You represented us old guys real good!

misterx
    Thanks, misterx !

It was dark and I never looked real close at his badging. But unless he had some mods, I don't think it would have mattered which version of Eclipse it was. I got a very strong drive out of the corner, he had to turn tighter and slower. The two lanes merge to one in about 1/8 mile or so and I don't think he would have caught me regardless. Point proven, I had no intention of continuing things on the freeway.
    Old, but not slow.

MrX, I would suggest you get a good alignment and throw away the RE-92's.

On a racetrack at 125 I could take my hands off the wheel the car felt so good. I said "I could".

p@
    www.achtuning.com

The RE92s were gone months ago.

I still need a good alignment.

misterx

nice job steve....LOL am i officially in the 'old guy wrx club' at 41??? hehehe
    DML

Are any of the turbo Eclipse's worth purchasing? (not that I am considering it, but maybe my friend would get one)
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

First off nice race/kill

"Are any of the turbo Eclipse's worth purchasing? (not that I am considering it, but maybe my friend would get one)"

^^^ I would say turbo eclipses are a very worthy purchase especially the 1Gs as they are easily made into good track cars drag and road race. Especially in the case of the GSX or TSI AWD, the WRX and those cars are very similar however stock the WRX is quicker due to bigger turbo I would presume. When modded AWD DSMs yield big #s and fast time slips. There are many 10-11sec full interior 1G AWD DSMs running around on factory parts internals (1G rods and 2G pistons) reliably. The 4g63 is very stout which I am sure most you know that already and our weakness is our drivetrain which is pretty much most AWD cars' weakness. The receipe for speed is there with very lil mods. We can run low 12s with just a big 16G turbo that only flows 550 cfm and on a 1G they can run high 11s with that. No stand alone required to make our cars fast as well as the 1Gs are OBD1 and the earlier years 2Gs ECU respond well to mods.

If your friend is looking for 2G make sure to look for the signs of crankwalk... which plagued about 5-7% of the 2G DSMs. You can look for signs by making sharp left turns during driving and seeing if car dies or clutch acting weird. I wouldn't sweat it though.

If your a dragger, the 1G is definately the way to go... my roommate ran low 13s with just mbc, intake, and turbo back exhaust. They come with a 14b turbo for manuals and a 9b turbo for automatics. Most peeps can get into 12s on the 14b turbo. 2Gs are good all around cruiser but suffer with the stock crappy t-25 turbo that's good for max of mid to high 13s. They are also heavier and not as nimble as the 1Gs but look so much more damn sexy One of the thing that is great is all the upgrade paths have already been paved and parts are abundant with many DSM tuners around the county and many replaceable parts can be found in junk yards for cheap.

DSM readings of interests:

www.dsm.org
    www.vfaq.com
    www.dsmtuners.com
    www.dsmtalk.com

hope that helps
    Last edited by dukmahsik; 09-07-2002 at 04:31 AM.
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Originally posted by DarkMoonLord
    nice job steve....LOL am i officially in the 'old guy wrx club' at 41??? hehehe
    DML

DML,

You bet ! Probably over 30 qualifies you around here.

That's actually a good question. I wonder what the average age is at clubwrx ? We once had a poll going at Sportbike World, "How old are you ?" The distribution on the bar graph was interesting once enough people had responded, but man, were the associated posts ever dull; "I'm 23." "31, here".....and on, and on.
    Last edited by ScoobySteve; 09-07-2002 at 10:10 AM.
    Old, but not slow.

well according to his first post, and my previous car being a 3g eclipse there is no more gst or gsx. it was either an rs, gs, or gt. if it was the rs, the gap would have been twice that size if not more. it sounds to me like you raced a gt. nice kill.

Thanks dukmahsik
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Originally posted by ScoobySteve

You bet ! Probably over 30 qualifies you around here.

That's actually a good question. I wonder what the average age is at clubwrx ? We once had a poll going at Sportbike World, "How old are you ?" The distribution on the bar graph was interesting once enough people had responded, but man, were the associated posts ever dull; "I'm 23." "31, here".....and on, and on.
    30 here... Old man in Paradise! :-)

Aloha,
    Richard...

P.S. I know I'm old because the kids that were in Kindergarten when I graduated from high school are now in college. DOH!

P.P.S. To stay on topic - great kill again! I surprised many fast cars of the day with my '90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD in the early 90's... They didn't know what hit 'em! :-) MBC, K&N, HKS Off-Road Exhaust and I was turnin' 13.70's in the 1/4 at Sacramento Internation Raceway!

Hey ...

Steve you talking trash about me? I get some of the weirdest "races" ... gome guy in a older model Eclipise GS tried to go w/ me on Jimmy Carter before the meet last Sunday w/ his family in the car? His kid kept looking back at me and then looking at his father say ... "Umm dad ... even though you're trying "hard" they Asian guy w/ the red car carrying a roof rack is keeping w/ up you." ( I'm lying but it sure looked funny ). He was trying to "show off" to his family ... he just got a spankin. Actually I haven't had good race stories in a while.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast