WRX vs GTI 1.8 T

This is a discussion on WRX vs GTI 1.8 T within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had the opportunity to run a GTI 1.8T at lunch today. it was a friend of a friends car ...

str

WRX vs GTI 1.8 T

I had the opportunity to run a GTI 1.8T at lunch today. it was a friend of a friends car so here's how it went. I had one passsenger and he had none.

We were fighting traffic for a while and only got to go from a roll a few times but I was only able to pull slightly on it. We finnaly got to a light and went up till about 75mph or so and I had about 2 car lengths on him. He said he didn't have mods. i didn't think they were that fast. Does anyone think he had modifications. I could really hear his turbo spool up with a whoosh sound when we were neck and neck in first, but when I hit second I started to pull. They are listed as running low 15's in the 1/4 but he was easily pulling high 14's in my opinion. He was a good driver too. Anyway, a very good race.
    2004 Black Forester XT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

dont the turbo beetles have that 1.8L turbocharged engine as an option?

-c
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Originally posted by fengshui
    dont the turbo beetles have that 1.8L turbocharged engine as an option?

-c
    I believe that's what the "T" means in GTI 1.8T .
    2002 Rally Blue WRX - Few mods

Str,

I responded to this on another site but thought I'd do the same here. I'm amazed he even was able to stay with you, as I've heard they're about the same as a RSX-S - less hp, but more tq (180hp I think)...anyway, you raced him when it was his advantage for sure, or at least not in your advantage. I think if you raced him from a dead stop, you would have pulled him in a similar manner to the RSX-S.

However, since you raced him from a roll, he was probably spooling so you weren't able to exploit his weakness which I bet is first gear.

I took my roomate out last night for his first test drive. he drives a E36 M3 so I wasn't expecting to show him anything Anyway, we both concluded that 1st gear is way too weak (relatively speaking) and that's the main area where cars like the WRX and E36 M3 will just spank me (and 1.8Ts)...so if I'm able to race him from up in second or even third, I could make it respectable - by that, I mean 4-5 carlengths, not 6-7 carlengths which is what I would expect from a stop (if not more). Same with me vs. a WRX - if I raced from a stop, I'd expect to get run...however, from a roll, you're taking your advantage away and closing the gap - not enough for a "close race" - I still figure a couple car lengths, which is what you proved by beating a similar 1.8T by 2-3 car lengths from a roll..

Sorry to ramble...
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

My best friend has a '02' gti 1.8t He only races me from a roll, typically at about 60-65mph. And let me tell you one thing, his car can hang to my rear bumper. My WRX is stock and his GTI is stock. I figured it was due to the gearing and weight differences.

str
    We did get to race from a stop and I took him by about 2 cars to 75mph. It may have been more but it was fairly close. i think if we had the chance to go up to about 95 or so I would have continued to pull. I think he might have some mods. When we went from the rolls I only pulled a couple of feet. My Wagon is probably running high 13's right now so I think he may have had some work done to the GTI. It definetly would have run lower than 15 in the 1/4. Both of us know how to launch and drive pretty good also.
    2004 Black Forester XT

str
    After talking to a few people I'm convinced this GTI had modifications. I'm going to talk to him on Monday and get him to tell the truth about his car. I looked up all the stats for this thing and they run low 15's at best stock. There is no way he was running 15's hanging with me like that. Anyway, it was a great race and I'm sure we will be racing again and their great cars. if for some reason it was stock then the numbers I'm reading on it from 0-60 and 1/4 mile are way off.
    2004 Black Forester XT

ive raced a friend who has an 02 GTI 1.8T. neither of us had any passengers. we went from stop till about 80 atleast 4-5 car lengths. 35 mph roll to 80 ~3 car lengths. if he was hanging that close to you he has to have some mods, probably chip.

str
    I had a passenger and a full tank of gas. he didn't have any passengers. Not sure how big of a difference that made.
    2004 Black Forester XT

what do you have your joeP set at??? In my opinion there is no way he could be stock. with a mbc at 15-16 psi you should be blowing him away, from roll stop whatever.
    Most of the vw and audi guys get chips and play it off like they are stock.

str
    I'm hitting 16.5 psi in fourth gear. I hit 14 in second and probably 15 or more in third. I definetly think he has mods now.
    2004 Black Forester XT

My friend has a GTI 1.8T w/ GIAC Chip - claimed 250 torque and 210 crank engine hp. Thats what he told me, and one day I raced him from a roll. 30mph - 110 mph (my speed). I was on second gear, I didnt floor first gear and he immediately jumped 2-3 car lengths (damn his torque). I catch up to him by the end of 2nd, dead even on 3rd, switched to 4th starts pulling on him slowly, then I looked at my speed, its 110, and he already gave up @ 90mph. dont worry, this was late at night, no cars around.
    My car at that time only had up-pipe and catback with blitz intake.
    I guess he didnt drive it right.......... he said he didnt redline the car and switched @ 5500rpm. not sure.

But anyways, im not a big fan of drag racing, just once in a blue moon with friends 1.8T is nice when chipped, I drove his car once, and power is instant, no downshift nothing, just mash the gas and off you go, however, it lacks top end power, same as wrx (stock ofcourse)

The 1.8T runs faster if shifted a bit early. Just like ours starts to run out of breath before redline. He also has a wider torque band so his car can pull out of an early shift better than ours.

Hey guys,

Just a couple of facts :

1) Chipping the 1.8T does wonders for the engine. 215HP/247ft lbs, running 93 octane.

2) Fellows on the VWVortex have managed high 14's with a stock 1.8T (14.89, I believe).

3) The 1.8T hits peak torque at around 2000 rpm, and it stays there until 5000 rpm.

4) The "T" in 1.8T actually stands for "Technology", but it's only on the turbo'd engines, so it's kinda moot.

Cheers!
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3