Tune/TBE WRX Breaks off Vette...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tune/TBE WRX Breaks off Vette... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Newer style Vette, never talked with the guy, dont know anything about his vette and havent seen him since. We ...

Tune/TBE WRX Breaks off Vette...

Newer style Vette, never talked with the guy, dont know anything about his vette and havent seen him since.

We work together, never seen this vette before. Pull out from work and cars everywhere. He's behind me riding my azz. I was pumped, we weaved in and out of cars on a 3 mile stretch to the main street which leads to the fwy. I pulled on him throughout the traffic and let him get in front to see what he could do. I kept his tail and pulled in the next lane and passed him when is was clear.

When we hit the open road I toasted him a few times. We hit one stop light and I broke him off and pulled and pulled. We hit 120mph and he closed the distance the faster we went but I still held him off

I noticed a few times in traffic when he'd drop the hammer his back end would spin out and I'd pass him. We went messed with each other for about 10miles from every speed and I broke him off everytime

anyway I cant wait to see him and find out the year of his vette and some more details

I honestly thought I was going to get waxed seeing a vette behind me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You have a wrx w/a stock turbo ?....

If true then ...your friend is a very BAD driver...I dont care what speed...the vette should pull you hard and then ...but hey if not then his fault..
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

I agree, you need at least 280whp to match a stock vette (I'm assuming C5). I'm not calling BS on you, but that seems fishy. Either its a bad driver or he didn't try. Even with the traction control on, you can get a little tire spin, but it never "smokes" them and when I went WOT on mine it is SO much faster than my Cobb stage 2. But hey, a win is a win right
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

You must have a turbo upgrade. Unless, nope.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Wow, harsh crowd today... hbpunk isn't even apparently sure if it's a C4 or C5. Heck, it could even be the car Luke Skywalker drove in Corvette Summer!

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I agree with everyone else ofcourse. Either he couldn't driver, was not really trying, or something. Its good that you beat him all, thats his fault if he lost, but car vs car you shouldn't have stood a chance. I have raced a couple C5's in my day. When I was running TBE, UP, and MBC I ran one at lower speeds and held right with him because it was an auto and had a little traction issue, but around 60mph or something it went from nearly even to him putting 4+ cars on me in a matter of a few seconds.
    They trap at nearly 109mph when driven properly.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

It was wet, it was raining hard all night but wasnt when we rolled. From what I saw, I assume it was an auto as well. I'm not up to date on vettes or know much about any models. The body style hasnt changed much, so maybe it was the last model but I'd still think it would tool me.

Should I be able to hang with a 2002 Auto? I dont know which models will handle me and not. Which would I be able to take, help me figure out which it possibly could have been.

I dont post BS, I've posted a few times where I had my pooper handed to me.

Thumbs up

97-00 Vettes had the LS1 style intake. 2001-2004 had the LS6 intake, and good for a little more punch. Body styles are identical. A 1998ish, high mileage, automatic C5 with a low gear ratio might only be capable of a high 13 at just over 100 mph. And it would still be good for closing on his WRX at high speeds, as he indicated in his intial post. Coupled with the fact of struggling for traction on damp pavement and traction control (either electronic or the right foot kind) impeding full acceleration, I don't really see a reason to doubt the way the situation unfolded.

And generally speaking for the speeds our vehicles run, 1 car length = 0.1 second. And 0.5 seconds represents the typical time for a vehicle to react once driver and vehicle mechanical response times are accounted for. Somebody on the street getting the jump will thus have a 5 car length or a half second advantage over the course of a 1/4 mile... Running on the street doesn't always match the outcome that would be predicted by ET's and trapspeeds at the track.

American Muscle guy here buys the story...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by bluerex47
    I agree, you need at least 280whp to match a stock vette (I'm assuming C5). I'm not calling BS on you, but that seems fishy. Either its a bad driver or he didn't try. Even with the traction control on, you can get a little tire spin, but it never "smokes" them and when I went WOT on mine it is SO much faster than my Cobb stage 2. But hey, a win is a win right

Eh my brother took out a C5 vette at the track all day long running a 13.9@96mph. The vette just couldn't catch him before the 1/4 mile mark. He beat him a number of times and it was pretty much the same outcome. A stock C5 will kill a stock wrx from a roll, but from a dig the wrx with a good driver can hold off a C5 till 60mph or so.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by HBPUNK
    anyway I cant wait to see him and find out the year of his vette and some more details
    Have you talk to this guy and get more info about his vette?

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    Eh my brother took out a C5 vette at the track all day long running a 13.9@96mph. The vette just couldn't catch him before the 1/4 mile mark. He beat him a number of times and it was pretty much the same.
    Unless you guys are on higher elevation, that vette driver can't drive if he can't beat 13.9@96 mph car.
    N/A -- 11.9@119 1.911 60' w/street radials
    N2O -- 11.3@126 1.820 60' w/street radials

I'm not being harsh to HBPUNK, I'm just saying with those mods, car vs. car, the vette should have won. WIth the wet conditions when they raced, it does make more sense for the rex to win.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

Quote Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
    Have you talk to this guy and get more info about his vette?

Unless you guys are on higher elevation, that vette driver can't drive if he can't beat 13.9@96 mph car.
    Def not a higher elevation. I have never seen a C5 vette come anywhere near a 12 they have all been high 13s, i think my brother beat him on his reaction time.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by HBPUNK

When we hit the open road I toasted him a few times. We hit one stop light and I broke him off and pulled and pulled. We hit 120mph and he closed the distance the faster we went but I still held him off

I get that many times, I get toasted from a start but quickly recover unless I'm running et streets or outright slicks.... Then its a different story. E-gads, wet weather?? No way!
    have fun
    -bix

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    Def not a higher elevation. I have never seen a C5 vette come anywhere near a 12 they have all been high 13s, i think my brother beat him on his reaction time.
    On my primary message board corvetteforum.com, there have been numerous stock C5s with high 12 second time slips posted and many low 13 second time slips as well with trap speed of 108 - 110 mph. Now, granted some people simply can't drive and I've seen high as 14 second time being posted as well, but those are pretty rare.

With your brother's race, I'll just chalk it up as that C5 driver is a terrible driver given that you guys are on a sea level.

I'd like to see the time slip of your brother vs C5 race, can you post it up?

Quote Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
    On my primary message board corvetteforum.com, there have been numerous stock C5s with high 12 second time slips posted and many low 13 second time slips as well with trap speed of 108 - 110 mph. Now, granted some people simply can't drive and I've seen high as 14 second time being posted as well, but those are pretty rare.

With your brother's race, I'll just chalk it up as that C5 driver is a terrible driver given that you guys are on a sea level.

I'd like to see the time slip of your brother vs C5 race, can you post it up?
    I can ask him, although this took place back in 2002, he got his wrx when they first came out. I do remember the people in the stands being all shocked, they were like that Subaru is beating a vette holy crap. I don't know exactly what the vette's time was, for all i know the vette could have been asleep at the line and had a better ET then my brother i am not sure. I have seen many stock C5s run mid-high 13s and a handful i have seen run 14s, of course these are all stock C5s. I have never seen a stock C5 run in the 12s, anything is possible but i haven't seen it. I don't think a wrx is as fast as a C5, i think one could hold a C5 off till around 60-70mph from a dig but the C5 will blow its doors off after that. I had a 1988 supra that trapped at 103mph and i know for a fact that i could hang pretty good with a C5 from a roll, the supra just pulled harder and harder the faster it went. I also got my ass handed to me by a Z06 from a roll. Anything is possible, if it was an auto convertable i think they run 13.6 or something. Eh who knows, the facts are what happens in reality and not what could happen. In the real world lots of things can happen, i got my ass handed to me by a V8 Jeep in my supra, but i took a LT1 Camaro by 2 cars from a dig to 70mph and my supra was terrible off the line. Who knows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast