350z vs sti Poll
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 350z vs sti Poll within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just curious, how many of you guys have raced 350z's and what has been the outcome........there is alot of smack ...

350z vs sti Poll

Just curious, how many of you guys have raced 350z's and what has been the outcome........there is alot of smack on the 350z site about z's taking sti's.......just wanted to hear our community's point of view.
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Silver04Sti
    Just curious, how many of you guys have raced 350z's and what has been the outcome........there is alot of smack on the 350z site about z's taking sti's.......just wanted to hear our community's point of view.
    can you please post a link to the forum....i need a good laugh
    <<<<<<<< LOOK AT MY NAME!!! lol
    COBB stg II

There was a flying Z when we had our midwest subaru shootout, but of course that was a shop car. Most of the other ones i've seen havent' been the fastest. . . Still I love those cars though, they're fun as hell. The interior is awesome and the layout of the car is awesome.

OK, I know I am going to see some BS flags on this one but tonight on I75 south in Lexington I played cat and mouse with a Z for over 20 miles. From 60-100 I was right there with him and I am stock....so was he. We got up to 130 and he started pulling on me much harder when I went into the top of 4th and into 5th. Up to 100 or so we were right there next to one another...I was pretty shocked although his exhaust sounded so much better than my stock Rex. We went at it several times slowing down and speeding up sometimes with him in the lead, others with me in the lead. Each time it was the same...up to 100-105 or so we were even...above 115 he started to walk me and at 125 he started to gain a few car lengths (~2-3 car lengths).

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    OK, I know I am going to see some BS flags on this one ...
    I give it a if you are talking about a WRX and not an STi...
    Unless the Z was an auto, and the driver had a gimp leg, then it definately gets a from me. 227 Hp AWD vs 280 HP RWD. from a 60 mph roll ?!? Seriously, the only way it's possible is if he didn't downshift from 5th...

An STi on the other hand, should have no problem... especially from a dig.

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning

I walked on quite a few with my wrx

uke
    A Sti should easily beat a 350Z, especially from a stop.

Heck, I have hung with a stock 350z up top, which is their strong and my weak spot (of course I'm slightly modded with the below sig's time). If a stock sti can get low 13's and I can hang with a 350 while I'm in the *high* 13's, it should be able to blow the 350 away easily
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

Banned

I can answer this

I sold my Track pac Z for a Sti.. I now have ecutek . 3" exhaust and a downpipe and I will kill a e46 m3 and would destroyyyy a 350z.. But stock for stock 60 mph to top end.. the Sti still takes it

Quote Originally Posted by supersuby
    I sold my Track pac Z for a Sti..

That had to be a tough choice to make. May I ask why you traded a track Z car? Personally I have driven many more Z cars than STI's and I realize that the Stock STI has a nice advancement in technology above my wrx. But I would have to say for over all performance and thrill of the drive I would have to rate the Track spec Z car just one step above. Maybe the STI is a bit quicker than the Z but for common everyday drivers out there driving stock Z and stock STI I think it would come down to the driver. Now I have never raced either of those from either car so I could be way off. But from what i have felt from driving each of them thats is my opnion. Also I just sold my 93 300ZXTT and the 350Z feels Much better over all than my 93 did.

just my 2 cents.

when i test drove a 350Z i wasnt impressed one bit with its performance over all...if fact it felt like a slouch....a few things i REALLY liked about the Z was the styling outside and inside, the feel of the car and the torque...but like i said speed performance was shockingly week to me....
    <<<<<<<< LOOK AT MY NAME!!! lol
    COBB stg II

A wrx will beat a z from the line w/ a hard launch but on a roll the z will def walk. A STI will smoke a z from the launch and from a roll it should be close
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I eat and spit 350z all day..
    01 CL Type S *Sold*
    04 Silver/Gold STi
    -COBB AP Stage 2 / 93 oct
    -Drop in K&N filter
    -Bosal Single Tip Catback
    -Helix 3" Catless Downpipe
    -Replica STi front strut tower brace

Yes, the Z isnt all that great compared to a STi out of the box but it is more of a "Traditional Supercar" than the STi is in that the potential of the car is extremely high. Just as if you are to compare a 300ZX TT or a Supra TT to the modern WRX or STi... stock for stock, the WRX or STi will offer more bang for the buck even if you begin to modify it with larger turbos and such. HOWEVER, even the mighty STi will hit a brick wall at a certain point where the other cars can continue to improve. Granted a lot of money is required at that point, but you can dump an unlimited amount of money into the WRX or STi and do the same with the 350Z and the Z will give you MUCH more! (Just like previous Japanese Supercars like the 300ZX TT and Supra TT)

WRX is a great car if all you ever want is under 300whp... STi is great if 400whp is good for you... if you want more, aside from maybe a custom turbocharged Legacy 3.0 H6, you must look elsewhere from Subaru. (Now Im aware more power can be had, but I wanted to stay within the realm of long term reliability and pump gas)

I chose a WRX over a 350Z because of the fact that I do not have that much money to take full advantage of the Z's potential and that I will be happy with what little power a WRX can offer me... and when I am no longer happy, I will move on to bigger better things.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcelration
    A wrx will beat a z from the line w/ a hard launch but on a roll the z will def walk. A STI will smoke a z from the launch and from a roll it should be close

I disagree.

There are a hell of a lot more Z's in the 13's in stock form then there are wrx's. and there are a lot more Z's running 14.2 and less then there are wrx's. Z is a faster car stock for stock... theres nothing more too it.

STi vs Z though and the STi will own it
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I played with one driving through oregon a few months ago. My car is stage 4. The z got owned. We started at 75mph and I shut down near the end of 4th gear(nearing 120). It was ugly but the guy was cool about it. I think he was a little bit stupified and didn't know how he could have gotten spanked so badly. He drove up to me with a sign that said I have 287hp...How much do you got? I just shrugged my shoulders like I didn't know. 300?350? I don't know if he was talking crank or wheel hp. A stock wrx would get crushed. A stg 2 would give the z a better run but I still think Ithe sube would be walked on. As for an Sti I've driven one before and it didn't seem a whole lot faster than a stage 2 wrx. I think the shorter gearing would give it the edge over a 350z. just my .02
    fookster

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast