Lost to an Acura Legend by a bumper
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Lost to an Acura Legend by a bumper within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Today I was tailgated by a car that I thought was an old Honda Accord. The guy kept tailgating me ...

Unhappy Lost to an Acura Legend by a bumper

Today I was tailgated by a car that I thought was an old Honda Accord. The guy kept tailgating me through several S curves (2 lanes). There were cars in front of me so I couldn't go any faster than 40 mph. Once the curves ended, it turned into a straightaway, opening up into 3 lanes. I get to the newly opened lane and am the first one at the stoplight. The guy is behind me.

When the light turned green, I think nothing of it, so I accelerate normally. The 2 other lanes were clear of traffic. Went to 3rd gear, and right at about 50 mph, he changes lanes and guns it. I saw him change lanes at the last second. As he was about to pass me (My bumper was around his front door), I downshifted to 2nd, approached redline at 60 mph, shifted to 3rd, and am neck and neck with him. The whole time in 3rd I only gained a foot and a few inches I almost approached redline in 3rd (about 85-88 mph). By this time I was about 1 bumper behind.

At that point, I let off because I knew there was a traffic light up ahead (the light is downhill). The guy is still accelerating and sees the stoplight once he went downhill and brakes like mad to slow down. At this time he's all over the place, in my lane as well as his trying to slow down. This was where I saw that it was an Acura Legend. By the looks of it, it looked stock.

I was so PO'd that I couldn't gain anything on him. I guess I need to get more mods

I'm stock, except for an Hks catback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    Today I was tailgated by a car that I thought was an old Honda Accord. The guy kept tailgating me through several S curves (2 lanes). There were cars in front of me so I couldn't go any faster than 40 mph. Once the curves ended, it turned into a straightaway, opening up into 3 lanes. I get to the newly opened lane and am the first one at the stoplight. The guy is behind me.

When the light turned green, I think nothing of it, so I accelerate normally. The 2 other lanes were clear of traffic. Went to 3rd gear, and right at about 50 mph, he changes lanes and guns it. I saw him change lanes at the last second. As he was about to pass me (My bumper was around his front door), I downshifted to 2nd, approached redline at 60 mph, shifted to 3rd, and am neck and neck with him. The whole time in 3rd I only gained a foot and a few inches I almost approached redline in 3rd (about 85-88 mph). By this time I was about 1 bumper behind.

At that point, I let off because I knew there was a traffic light up ahead (the light is downhill). The guy is still accelerating and sees the stoplight once he went downhill and brakes like mad to slow down. At this time he's all over the place, in my lane as well as his trying to slow down. This was where I saw that it was an Acura Legend. By the looks of it, it looked stock.

I was so PO'd that I couldn't gain anything on him. I guess I need to get more mods

I'm stock, except for an Hks catback.

My wrx is stock besides a short throw shifter and a lightweight pulley and i don't feel confident beating anything with it. A stock WRX is an average car on the road as far as speed goes once you take away the launch.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Please tell me the what year you think the acura was.
    1993 Acura Legend coupe 0-60 6.7 -1/4 15.4
    1992 Acura Vigor GS 0-60 8.6-- 1/4 mile 16.6
    Whats your boost at?? No way you lost to a legend.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    give cred where it's due. I had a pretty hard time with a v6 accord that got the drop on me. I thought that I would just accelerate normaly and merge into his lane little do I know guy wants to be a ****. Had to take it to the top of third and edged him out by about 1/4 car length. stock wrx = kinda quick not fast. had I launched and been in boost from the start of second gear I can assure you I would have had at least a car on him but not too much more.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by svc
    Fvk the elves, it's bling season

Sponsored by: BoostBuddy.com

Isn't the legend the 2.4 engine. How did you lose to it.

I wouldn't say the WRX is a total dog from a roll.

My wife and I were coming home from TN on Sunday and an RX-8 was in front of us and he gunned it at 60mph. (I had dropped into 3rd anticipating this because he slowed down for no reason as we apporached form behind). I actually switched lanes and got my bumper up to his rear door when I went into 4th. In 4th neither of us gained on the other and at 120 or so I went into 5th. At that point he started to slowly pull on me and at 130 my front bumper was maybe 5' off his back bumper when we shut it down. Not too bad considering my wife, 2 dogs and a load of luggage and gifts were filling my car up. We both gave each other the thumbs up and went on. I have to admit the exhaust on the RX8 sounded sweet when he opened it up. My car is totally stock. Granted the WRX doesnt pull like mad above 60 but it's no Oldsmobile either. I did notice that above 6200 or so in 4th it too FOREVER to get to redline.

Oh, and before anyone knocks me for the race with my wife in the car. We were on a stretch of the interstate where you can literally see 2+ miles down a straightaway. There were no other cars in front of us or nearby AND my wife was the one that said "shift into 3rd because he is looking at you in his rearview mirror and he is going to gun it!"

Quote Originally Posted by VOLFAN
    I wouldn't say the WRX is a total dog from a roll.

My wife and I were coming home from TN on Sunday and an RX-8 was in front of us and he gunned it at 60mph. (I had dropped into 3rd anticipating this because he slowed down for no reason as we apporached form behind). I actually switched lanes and got my bumper up to his rear door when I went into 4th. In 4th neither of us gained on the other and at 120 or so I went into 5th. At that point he started to slowly pull on me and at 130 my front bumper was maybe 5' off his back bumper when we shut it down. Not too bad considering my wife, 2 dogs and a load of luggage and gifts were filling my car up. We both gave each other the thumbs up and went on. I have to admit the exhaust on the RX8 sounded sweet when he opened it up. My car is totally stock. Granted the WRX doesnt pull like mad above 60 but it's no Oldsmobile either. I did notice that above 6200 or so in 4th it too FOREVER to get to redline.

Oh, and before anyone knocks me for the race with my wife in the car. We were on a stretch of the interstate where you can literally see 2+ miles down a straightaway. There were no other cars in front of us or nearby AND my wife was the one that said "shift into 3rd because he is looking at you in his rearview mirror and he is going to gun it!"
    Now thats a cool wife
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill

I really don't know what year it was. I don't know much about Legends. I looked online, and the most powerful one was the LS coupe that has 230 hp and 206 lb/ft. At the end I kept inching up on him.

As for losing, he initially got the jump on me. That could've been all the momentum that he needed.

I don't have a boost gauge in my car so I dunno what my boost was at the time.

I have a subwoofer in my car so that doesn't help me much, but I could tell the guy driving the Legend was at least 200+ lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VOLFAN
    my wife was the one that said "shift into 3rd because he is looking at you in his rearview mirror and he is going to gun it!"
    I want to marry your wife HAHAHAHA
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    I really don't know what year it was. I don't know much about Legends. I looked online, and the most powerful one was the LS coupe that has 230 hp and 206 lb/ft. At the end I kept inching up on him.

As for losing, he initially got the jump on me. That could've been all the momentum that he needed.

I don't have a boost gauge in my car so I dunno what my boost was at the time.

I have a subwoofer in my car so that doesn't help me much, but I could tell the guy driving the Legend was at least 200+ lbs.
    As I remembered, the most powerful one was 95 or newer model. It made somewhere around 260-270hp.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

Quote Originally Posted by GREDDY
    As I remembered, the most powerful one was 95 or newer model. It made somewhere around 260-270hp.
    You are correct.

There was a highly tuned V6 model of the legend. I cant remember the exact name of it, but its pretty rare to find and not too many were made... I personally have only seen 2 on the road. They are coupes, and come with a close ratio 6speed manual trans. I have not heard much about them in a long time, but when I was on the maxima boards the car was talked about quite often.
    so yeah, this could have been it, but I doubt it because this car would have kicked your ass from a roll. A standard 5speed legend that run mid 15's could probably hold of a rex for a few seconds if it gets the jump from a roll...
    the Legend V something coupe or whatever (the one I was talking about above) had something like 240hp and a 6speed manual trans in the coupe. It was good for mid 14sec times at pretty nice traps.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

must of been one of those late model ones w/ the tuned engines. cus i remember in HS being followed by some car (turned out to be friends of mine, in one of their friends Legend), and i was in my RSX so i gunned it since i really thought some wack job was following me home. the car couldnt keep up in the curves or anything. in the WRX i would of destroyed it and lost them miles before i did.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Ok, I think it was 94 or newer Legends with type II engines that produced about 260-270hp. I had a 95 Legend LS type II engine many years back and it was pretty fast. I think it would be faster then a WRX from a roll.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.

Quote Originally Posted by GREDDY
    Ok, I think it was 94 or newer Legends with type II engines that produced about 260-270hp. I had a 95 Legend LS type II engine many years back and it was pretty fast. I think it would be faster then a WRX from a roll.
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

thank you!!! I have been trying to think of it all day. The Acura Legend TypeII.

I dont think it was as high as 260hp. Now the I have the name I recall it having like 230-240hp I think.. but I could be wrong.
    It was a 3.2L 6 w/ 6speed MT.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Your right, it had 235hp. I don't know what I was thinking. It's been a long time since I've had it.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.