WRX vs. Sentra Spec V, ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Sentra Spec V, ? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, Any one raced a spec v? how about on a road course? I would think the wrx would ...

WRX vs. Sentra Spec V, ?

Hello all,
    Any one raced a spec v? how about on a road course? I would think the wrx would come out on top but by how much?? The spec is supposed to be a good autox'er too. I'm sure not up to an awd car but has anyone seen them at the track??

Im trying to decide if the rex is worth the extra 5k. For me it would be a daily driver/weekend toy.

Any input would be great.

Thanks.
    M.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you're looking for buying advice, then most are going to suggest the WRX. I certainly do. the biggest reason is the AWD. It is far and above a better drivetrain than FWD, in both performance, and safety. Plus, the AWD platform will be better in the long run if you plan to race, as you will not have to compensate for the drastic understeer FWD provides. WRXs do have some understeer, but a larger rear swaybar will correct that in 30min of wrenching.

you're going to get biased responses seeing that this is on a WRXforum, but i think the spec v is no comparison to the suby, besides their danm six speed.

as for track talk, my buddy's spec v w/ a few boltons runs consistent 14.7-14.9s
    02 WRX - MODS
    Bugeye Mafia > *

um wrx ofcourse..

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know for sure, but I would think that a stock SE-R Spec V would be more nimble than a stock WRX. I've always heard that they had a nice suspension. Add better tires and a rear sway to the WRX, and the picture changes, of course.

Straight-line acceleration depends on the start. From a start, I would think that the WRX would trash it. From a roll, I think that the WRX would still win, but not by nearly the margin. (SE-R's trap speed is about 90mph in tests, WRX is mid 90's in most tests I've seen.)
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Not interested in 1/4 mile anymore... Into road racing these days.
    OK, thanks, just looking for some opinions. I've had several nissans and had no problems to speak of. Currently driving an 03 maxima. That goes to my wife this year and I am trying to decide between the spec and wrx. I need a coservative car for work (outside sales). If I went with the wrx I would have to order one without the rear spoiler... My boss would have a cow.

Oh, one last thing, what do you think a wrx would sell for with 100k miles and about 4 years old??

I'm sure it would have better resale than the spec. Sentras resale is terrible.

Thanks all.

Mitch S.
    Ft. Lauderdale

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch
    Oh, one last thing, what do you think a wrx would sell for with 100k miles and about 4 years old??
    It would be incredibly expensive, since you'd have to import it. They didn't start selling WRX's in the U.S. 'til 2002.
    I don't think that the jury's in yet as far as WRX's and 6-figure mileage. If well-cared for, it should be ok. I'm wondering what the average life span of a TD04 (stock WRX turbo) is going to be.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

WRX= easy to upgrade performance "Turbo"
    Spec V= Get your A$$ kicked performance.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

I Support ClubWRX
    Resale:WRX
    Longevity/Durability: Tie
    Track Worthiness (nimble, tossable, controllable, et all WRX
    Straight Line Speed: WRX
    Tranny: Spec V
    Interior: Spec V
    Comfort: Close but slight lead to Spec V.

I entertain many clients using my STi, and I've never had a problem. But then...I'm the boss, so if I have a cow, I'll just tell myself to go eff off
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I am going to jump off the bandwagon here and not be so bias..... as opposed to the latter, I will just tell you my experience with both cars.

Spec V = cheap interior, cheap looking, but a cheap price tag as well. The car has a very potent N/A 4cylinder that has some pretty amazing torque and mid-range pull. The engine is very well designed for the car, and allows it to make power anywhere in the band. Its topend is pretty good, great midrange, and great low end pull. some other +'s are the fact that its got a 6speed trans, limited-slip, and handles very well. Its pretty light and quite nimble. Contrary to what other may say, the specV will outhandle a rex in dry conditions. With basic suspension mods (springs, struts, RSB) it is pretty much a track car.

WRX = nicer interior (specV is just so bland.. even compared to the wrx). The wrx is more of an agressive car as well. Although the SpecV has a lot of torque and feels stronger down low compared to the wrx its power is quite linear, whereas the wrx has a more agressive powerband due to the turbo spool up. The WRX will be faster in every aspect and be much more responsive to mods. Also, the AWD is a great benefit for allweather traction and fun. WRX will not handle as well, but good tires can do wonders for a wrx handling wise, but due to the suspension layout and extra weight it will never be quite as nimble.

If you need a car that is going to be work related I would personally forget about all these. If you like nissan I would DEFINATLY recommend getting a maxima. a 2k2/2k3 6speed maxima can be had for a few thousand more than a sentra specV but a cheaper than a new WRX. the Maxima would have great torque, great topend. Its just about as quick as a wrx 1/4mile wise, and will beat it in any other aspect of performance. They do not handle the best, but very popular upgrades for the car are struts, springs, RSB, FSTB, and these mods will make it handle very well with some decent tires.

If you can afford the wrx I would get that over the specV, but if handling and tracking the car is your only concern the specV will suit your needs better. But like I said, if you need a representable car for work and your boss would get made at a base WRX spoiler I dont think you should be looking at either of these cars.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Resale:WRX
    Longevity/Durability: Tie
    Track Worthiness (nimble, tossable, controllable, et all WRX
    Straight Line Speed: WRX
    Tranny: Spec V
    Interior: Spec V
    Comfort: Close but slight lead to Spec V.

I entertain many clients using my STi, and I've never had a problem. But then...I'm the boss, so if I have a cow, I'll just tell myself to go eff off
    being your own boss must own!

but I disagree on 2 of the above. The 02 and 03 had a few kinks, but much of that was fixed with the 04' + and I would say that the SpecV proves to be more reliable than the wrx, especially since he is commenting on 100k+ miles in which case, no one really knows how long the TD04 will hold strong for. (though a few members have gone 80k+ wit it)

also, track worthiness does not go to the wrx. The SpecV outhandles the wrx in every aspect of dry pavement. Its does much better around the cones and its light weight and nimble suspension make it much easier to toss around the track than a wrx.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

If you need a car that is going to be work related I would personally forget about all these. If you like nissan I would DEFINATLY recommend getting a maxima. a 2k2/2k3 6speed maxima can be had for a few thousand more than a sentra specV but a cheaper than a new WRX. the Maxima would have great torque, great topend. Its just about as quick as a wrx 1/4mile wise, and will beat it in any other aspect of performance. They do not handle the best, but very popular upgrades for the car are struts, springs, RSB, FSTB, and these mods will make it handle very well with some decent tires.

He said right now he's driving an 03 maxima..

since you're into handling, u might as well buy a Mazda3.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just one more comment to make, having thought about your question a little. This sounds like it's going to be your primary vehicle, as well as one that would see use for entertaining clients. Keep in mind that at the end of the day the SE-R is a Nissan Sentra. Personally, the stripped down interior would wear on my nerves after a while during my daily commute. Not that the interior of the WRX is one of the wonders of the world, but it is better, especially the '05's.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 12-27-2004 at 09:50 AM.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

people have only compared the cars so far...but is the extra $5k worth it?

if you live in a climate where awd is not a necessity and road racing is your thing, then i'd recommend the spec-V. as you've said, 1/4 mile times is not an issue, the specV will be the better car for you and save the difference. the steering is more precise and the car is way more tossable. the engine may suit you a little better as you'll be road racing. this is not a thread to compare interiors as many people have decided to include, they are both pretty cheap and you know exactly what you were getting into when you listed them both. so dont expect anything more than power windows and ac. even if you do drive in snow, FWD with LSD is plenty good especially if you throw in a set of snows (of course that'll set you back $1k).

i'll give the +1 to the specV. from what you've listed, it may suit you better and its the cheaper car.

and if you do plan on specV, i suggest the 02s...man, they are so much better looking. the 05s are just awful looking. and they even took out the nicer gauges for some odd reason.
    04 PSM WRX Wgn
    now feat. GREENIES

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.