WRX vs. Sentra Spec V, ? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Sentra Spec V, ? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'd say Spec-V If you don't plan on modding too much then the potential of the wrx doesn't really justify ...

I'd say Spec-V If you don't plan on modding too much then the potential of the wrx doesn't really justify it. I have encountered two Spec-V's in my time with my wrx. Both of those time I was stock and the spec had like a cat-back and maybe intake. from a roll I would edge them out by only a small margin. as far as handeling stock for stock I'd give it to the spec-V again. the only other japanese production car sold in the US to have a helical LSD was when Acura brought over the Teg TypeR. they are lighter and have great low end torque if auto-x is your thing you will be very happy with it.

If you were going to mod and possibly Rally I would tell you differently but for what you have put out. I would go with the Nissan.

good luck with whatever you go with.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by svc
    Fvk the elves, it's bling season

Sponsored by: BoostBuddy.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch
    I would agree with you but there other details. The car is supposed to be along the lines of a taurus, camry, accord etc. SO, I can squeak by with some smaller cars but no way would an sti fit the dynamics.

I'm way ahead of you on that.

Mitch
    I like the STi idea....or even the SRT. They fall into the Impreza and Neon family!

Quote Originally Posted by VOLFAN
    I like the STi idea....or even the SRT. They fall into the Impreza and Neon family!
    STi is way to expensive.

SRT4 is way to much of a "teenager" car to drive clients around in.

does it need to be 4 door? An RSX-S would more or less fit what you need perfectly... except that its not a 4door. also, Jetta 1.8t is nice. You can get an 03' for under $20,000, they look nice especially with wheels and drop, handle well with basic suspension mods and respond very well to mods... not to mention you can get them with leather, sunroof etc...

I am trying to find a good comprimise, because personally I would not want to take clients around in either a wrx or a SpecV. I would want something with sunroof, leather, and a better ride.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    I don't know for sure, but I would think that a stock SE-R Spec V would be more nimble than a stock WRX. I've always heard that they had a nice suspension. Add better tires and a rear sway to the WRX, and the picture changes, of course.

Straight-line acceleration depends on the start. From a start, I would think that the WRX would trash it. From a roll, I think that the WRX would still win, but not by nearly the margin. (SE-R's trap speed is about 90mph in tests, WRX is mid 90's in most tests I've seen.)
    funny this topic came up, since i traded my spec v for my wrx! short since i have to go back to work, but... the nissan is definitely more nimble. as you go into higher speeds though the wrx is the winner (which is to say you'd like a spec v over the wrx on an autox course or around town, but the tables turn on a big road course). the wrx is more controlled as the speeds go up, but when i put my eibach springs on the sentra it really changed high speed character. that said the nissan, besides having a simple suspension design can be made to stick very, very well and the big low end torque + HLSD really pulls the things out of corners. like someone mentioned the steering is more precise, but the wheel is freaking huge.

engine performance is no contest. even though the QR25 has big torque and pulls to redline, the rev limiter is at 6200rpms and prevents you from making much more power with bolt ons (on the dyno, power adders are still making power at redline), so pretty much with every bolt on you can buy, you can only run a mid 14@95ish at best . plus, the 02-03 cars like to pull timing prematurely. JWT came out with an ECU after i sold the car; i don't know how much it helps the shortcomings. the wrx, well you know what you can do with that engine! from a roll the wrx wins unless you're caught way off boost; it pulls alot harder than the nissan.

even though i've worked with expensive european cars the last few years, i'm not a dash molester and therefore not the one to answer this i guess, but the interiors on both are fine imo. the nissans did feel cheaper once i got into it a month after i bought the impreza, but bother were loaded with power this and that and once again i don't really care. the (rockford upgrade) stereo sounds better in the sentra but the wrx has the 6 disc in dash so, draw.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

DTR rex,
    Yes, it must be a 4 door. And you are on the right page. My other choices were the 1.8 jetta as well. Yes, I take clients out often. Must be a 4 door, less than 4 years old. And again, after the 3-4 years I want to make it a toy car.

Thanks for all the honest opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch
    DTR rex,
    Yes, it must be a 4 door. And you are on the right page. My other choices were the 1.8 jetta as well. Yes, I take clients out often. Must be a 4 door, less than 4 years old. And again, after the 3-4 years I want to make it a toy car.

Thanks for all the honest opinions.
    with that in consideration get the Jetta.
    You can get a nice Jetta 1.8T for around the price you are looking at. They have real nice interior, manual trans, more luxurious for clients, and have power. This seems like the best bet here even though it is FWD. The Jetta can be had with full leather interior, power everything, moonroof, etc.... Not to mention the 1.8T take real well to upgrades. Pick up a chip, downpipe, catback, and you have a solid mid 14sec car. add basic suspension stuff like springs, struts, fstb, rsb, tires and you are in business as far as handling goes also.

Obviously the wrx is the better performance car of the 3, but you need to comprimise with refinement, luxury, and performance. The jetta seems to be the best comprimise here. Refined and luxurious interior, drives smoothly, and can be fast and handle well with very basic mods. You said you want it to be a toy car in 3 years, and as you own it you can just add one part at a time like every 4 months or so. in 3 years you could have a pretty mean Jetta.

Jetta 1.8t gets my vote for sure. refinement, luxury, 4 door, good looks, mid-low 14's with basic bolt on's, handles quite well for FWD with basic suspension mods also.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

FWIW, I was just Jetta shopping. Nice cars, btw, but a bit cramped if you're my size (6'3/270).

We ended up with an '01 Wolfsburg Edition (1.8T). It's got decent pickup and will respond fairly well to modifications, but remember that Jetta's are not known for the best handling, even after modifications, if that affects your purchase choice for down the road. There is also a lot of wheel hop off the line, but haven't researched if it was possible or feasable to fix.

Good gas mileage, decent pickup, comfortable ride, nice looking... can't really beat it. I dont have any good photos of it, but maybe after this weekend!

And yeah... BMW's tend to be a bit much to maintain if anything goes wrong, and I guess M3's aren't 4door...
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix
    And yeah... BMW's tend to be a bit much to maintain if anything goes wrong, and I guess M3's aren't 4door...
    There were some 4-door E36 M3's produced...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by astricii
    the only other japanese production car sold in the US to have a helical LSD was when Acura brought over the Teg TypeR. they are lighter and have great low end torque if auto-x is your thing you will be very happy with it.
    the transaxle is straight out of the maxima se . also, both the 05 sti and evo comes with a front helical lsd
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    The car has a very potent N/A 4cylinder that has some pretty amazing torque and mid-range pull. The engine is very well designed for the car, and allows it to make power anywhere in the band. Its topend is pretty good, great midrange, and great low end pull.
    i disagree. the spec v is strictly a parts bin car, with the maxima's transmission and the altima's base engine (which is also used in the frontier btw). i liked the low and midrange power but overall i think the engine was ill-suited to the car.

btw to the original poster, if you are looking for a car which mainly has to be suitable for the sales clients, have you considered the mazda 6? i have nothing but good things to say about mine, other than the fact that the 4cy is immune to speeding tickets . you should definitely be able to find a 6cyl 5 speed and get it for around $20K - especially rihgt now, if you go to buy a car tomorrow or friday they want to clear as much as they can out of inventory before year end. the chassis is superb; even with my 65-series all seasons it is very responsive and balanced, and the steering feel is precise as well.

here's a pic of my '03 spec v btw

07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6

I forgot they offered 4 door in 97 in 98 on the M3's....

Nice Spec-V, btw!
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix
    Nice Spec-V, btw!
    +1
    Beautiful car.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

thanks i was a little iffy on the red at first, but it grew on me
    </threadjack>
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6

Hi ... sorry i'm late to the party... .. I own both...errrr.. i meant i owned both.

Wanna buy my 03 spec V.... fully loaded... and i don't want it .

And as dtr said... stock spec V nimbler than stock rex. And which is the reason i don't own either... STi is just a tad bit better

I have both, an 04 wrx wagon and a 04 spec v, the fosgate stereo and the 6 spd in the spec v makes me want to drive it more The no turbo lag in the v is more fun when you punch it but the wrx is way faster if keep the revs up.. My v is a driveway decoration when there is the slightest bit of snow on the ground. The back seat is bigger and more roomy in the v . I like them both, hard to compare apples to green apples.....similer but different. The v has a much harsher ride with the 17s and stiff springs, but handles great. Did I mention the stereo?friggin Subaru with their cheap speakers!!!! I love both cars but if i had to keep only 1 i would keep the WRX. gotta love the awd

jay

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.