Questions about Modding my WRX...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Questions about Modding my WRX... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I have a 02 5sp WXR wagon and Ive been reading the forum here for awhile and Im ...

Questions about Modding my WRX...

Hey guys,
    I have a 02 5sp WXR wagon and Ive been reading the forum here for awhile and Im thinking about modding my WRX (just a little). Reason is, I find the WRX really sluggish on hot days when the AC is on (until the trubo spools), so Id love something that could get me into the power earlier. Now the problem is im totally ignorant as to what may be a good start. I hear a ton of people say that an MBC is a good way to get started, but Im not sure if that has to be done in addition to something else if I want to avoid damaging my engine. If an MBC is installed by itself, and the boost is cranked up, will that damage the engine? Im not sure so if anyone has some good advice about a not too expensive and SAFE way to enhance my cars performance, I would really appreciate it. Also, Ive heard that adding any mods voids the warranty...is that true? Or is it just true if a defect can be traced back to the mod? Thanks Guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

MBC INFO [discussion, questions, guidelines].

try these threads and others.... you will find all your answers

make sure you read about your boost gauge and how to read it.
    if you spike above .12 on this turbo....issanooogoooda
    Last edited by racerWRX; 09-05-2002 at 03:26 PM.
    have you ever been 4 bagged ???

shoot for either .105 ~ .110 kPa in 3rd gear which should translate to no greater than .115 kPa in 4th. spikes up to .120 shouldnt pose a threat if they drift back down to .115, if you ever see it go higher than .120, cut gas and pull over and turn down the MBC 1/8~1/4 turn (using the joe P mbc, adjust accordingly to the mbc you choose).

-c
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    If you only have a boost controller and it's hooked up properly, you can't really hurt your engine. The ECU is very protective. You will know if you have it too high. The car will start to feel a little slower. Just back it down a bit and leave it there for a while. .105~.110 is a good place to start (15~15.5 psi).
    The uppipe is a great mod that actually decreases the stress on the car as a whole and improves spool up noticeably.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

str
    Do you think if I am hitting 16.5 psi in fourth gear it is harmful? I'm hitting much lower in 2nd (14.5) and third (15-15.5).
    2004 Black Forester XT

I Support ClubWRX
    The hot day thing can be helped with an Intercooler sprayer. These are especially effective in dry climates. The best thing about that is that, unlike a boost controller, it presents zero risk. I think it would be easy to argue that the sprayer would actually enhance longevity and reliability. This has been discussed many times, so yuo can do a search on it.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by str
    Do you think if I am hitting 16.5 psi in fourth gear it is harmful? I'm hitting much lower in 2nd (14.5) and third (15-15.5).
    Be careful in 5th, I was driving at 16.0 psi in 3rd and got a CEL in 5th gear @ WOT. I have since turned down the mbc to 15psi for turbo safety. The benefits of full boost in 1st and 2nd are enough power without the worries of fried turbo. eventually ill just shell out for a EBC and even farther down the road, a better turbo.

-c
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Originally posted by GV27
    The hot day thing can be helped with an Intercooler sprayer.
    I think his "hot day" problem has a lot more to do with running the AC than with overheating.

Ameshal, if you're going to be driving fast, turn off the AC. It's like giving yourself a free 10 or so HP.

Mods may void your warranty, depending on how uptight your dealer is. Call them up and talk to them. Tell them you'd like to modify your car, but want to keep your warranty, and try to get a feel for what their tolerance level is. Some folks say their dealers will let them get away with darn near anything, others report that even minor mods got them voided.

If your goal is to "get into the power sooner", I'd look at a catless uppipe before an MBC. Faster spool and dyno-proven to generate more low rpm torque. HTH...
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

if you dealer is of the "void-it" variety, just let them know that law states that they cannot outright void any warranty, they can only refuse your claim if the part that was damaged was cause by an unauthorized part. I dont have the link for this but just do a search on warranties.

-c

I was also considering installing mbc. I was thinking that if a properly set mbc does not damage your engine, why wouldn't Subaru go with a similar setting? Anyone knows? Emission issue?
    Vlad
    2005 CGM STi
    2002 WRX Wagon

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    The only reason I say you cannot hurt your engine with only a boost controller is because the stock turbo is so pathetically small. If you try cranking boost with a larger turbo, you will definitely have problems.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.