How much Hp at the wheels does a STi need to take a C5? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on How much Hp at the wheels does a STi need to take a C5? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW Personally, I think that as long as the Vette owner can drive, anything over an 1/8 ...

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW
    Personally, I think that as long as the Vette owner can drive, anything over an 1/8 mile and you will start to see his taillights... My advise is to rev up to about 6000 rpms or so and launch HARD. That's the only way I've seen a 300 WHP WRX hang with a C5.

Watch out for those C6's though, I hear they are dangerous...

i like that challenge and hopefully i will run into one soon..
    Yea tru love we can find ourselves
    I call our true identies
    Love ya brudda love ya sista
    Love everyone...the univeral sign
    Ill take it from here

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    i like that challenge and hopefully i will run into one soon..

You anywhere close to CT...? If so, I can make it happen.

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

Banned

Umm

I don't think that a STi needs 300 whp to take a vette and also need to rev up to 6k rpm to take it. I think that a STI with a exhaust and downpipe that revs 6000 rpm will take a vette.
    If a 300 whp STI launches at 6k rpm the vette would have to play catch up BIG time
    buddy...
    don't be another Vette owner that thinks he **** don't stink...
    Cuz it does and the Vette is not all that dude... it's just a chevy

Read the first post again. He was concerned about racing from a roll, not a stop. If the Vette is an auto, the race should be close. If the Vette is a 6 speed, it will definitely pull a couple cars on you before 120mph. An MT stock Vette makes more power, is lighter, and is more aerodynamic. Heck, anything can happen on the streets though. Go have fun and be safe.
    Last edited by Shaitiger; 12-28-2004 at 09:13 AM.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

290 rwhp for C5 is bit conservative. On my primary message board, corvetteforums.com, I've seen vast majority of them posting 300+ rwhp for stock C5s. Of course not all C5s are equal, the FRC models are lighter than C5, later models have better intake and exhaust, and of course C5 Z06 is bit more powerful.

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    I don't think that a STi needs 300 whp to take a vette and also need to rev up to 6k rpm to take it. I think that a STI with a exhaust and downpipe that revs 6000 rpm will take a vette. If a 300 whp STI launches at 6k rpm the vette would have to play catch up BIG time
    buddy...don't be another Vette owner that thinks he **** don't stink...
    Cuz it does and the Vette is not all that dude... it's just a chevy
    Bro, I am a WRX fan to the fullest, look at my sig. I bought the Vette because I fell in love with the new design, oh yeah, and also the fact it does the 1/4 in 12.4... stock. With $3000 in mods the C6 is in the low 11's all day long...

Now, if you are talkin about racing a C5, they dyno around 300 WHP. You got 280, right? Well, you will need to use your AWD and a good launch to gain enough cars on him from a stop. Because if you race him from a roll... I have a feeling Shaitiger will be right. My rex dynoed at 332 WHP on high boost, and 303 on low boost. I raced a C5 on the highway with an intake and exhaust (wow, 10 HP) from a 40 mph roll and we were even up to about 80, then he pulled on me. Don't underestimate a car that is lighter, more aerodynamic, better geared for high speed, and RWD. I would say the same thing if I didn't own one, because I know what I am talking about, dude.

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

The thing to remember about vettes at speed is their extremely low coeficient of drag. The suby, on the other hand, has about the dame drag CE as a brick. At low speed this isn't a big deal, but at high speeds it means alot.

All else being equal I give the advantage to the Corvette due to this factor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12