03' Mustang Cobra SVT vs. My WRX
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03' Mustang Cobra SVT vs. My WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last Saturday, there were 2 Supercharged 2003 Cobras at the track ..... I asked both of them to race (bragging ...

03' Mustang Cobra SVT vs. My WRX

Last Saturday, there were 2 Supercharged 2003 Cobras at the track .....

I asked both of them to race (bragging rights only, like a street race) Neither one of them wanted to run me.... One of them said ... "Oh we know all about your little AWD" ???? I was like what ? You have a supercharged V8, that runs 12's !

My best 1/4 time was a 13.2 at 104mph ... these guys have 12.8 or 12.9 sec cars... STOCK ! (obviously, good drivers & ultimate track conditions)

Anyways, near the end of the night, the silver cobra was lined up near the start line, but didn't have anyone to run against.... some dude yelled out at me.... "Hey, want to run this guy?" The Cobra driver couldn't see who the Staff guy was asking..... I yelled, "sure"

As we lined up... the Cobra driver looked over at me... and looked like he kind of "sighed" or something.......

The flagger dropped the flag.....

I was gone.... 4- cars on the launch....

As I crossed the 1320, he was 5-6 cars behind me.... I coudn't tell if he was pulling on me or not... but it was still pretty sweet !

Oh, and my car was running without the front and rear bumper co vers..... it looked really fugly !
    02 Blaze Yellow WRX >>> 04 STi >>> 05 300c SRT8 w/100 shot >>> 06 EVO IX ... I'm loving it!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Now THIS is a real race story! Great job!

Nice kill! What type of mods do you have to be able to take out a 03 Cobra??

Originally posted by EIonJess
    I'm gonna guess driving skills. Very nice!!!
    Last edited by junaitari; 09-05-2002 at 11:50 AM.

Originally posted by junaitari

I'm gonna guess driving skills.
    Exactly!

I'm sure the 03 driver is also still learning how to drive it....

My go faster mods are:

Fuel Pump
    Sti Injectors
    TurboXS downpipe, mid-pipe and 2.5" stromung exaust
    Vishnu Up-pipe
    VF22 - with TurboXS MBC set at 19psi
    Apexi S-afc
    PWR Upgraded Top Mount

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.....

Oh, forgot to mention, my clutch was slipping all the way through 1st & most of 2nd .... we dropped the tranny the other day.... flywheel and clutch are shot (because I slip the clutch all the time, as opposed to dropping it)
    02 Blaze Yellow WRX >>> 04 STi >>> 05 300c SRT8 w/100 shot >>> 06 EVO IX ... I'm loving it!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Kenneth2000
    I'm sure the 03 driver is also still learning how to drive it....

My go faster mods are:

Fuel Pump
    Sti Injectors
    TurboXS downpipe, mid-pipe and 2.5" stromung exaust
    Vishnu Up-pipe
    VF22 - with TurboXS MBC set at 19psi
    Apexi S-afc
    PWR Upgraded Top Mount
    Dude, you should be running low-mid 12's wtih those mods easily. My friend's are running mid 12's on pretty much the same setup. Good runs.

I like this kind of post. He lists the cars he raced and the results without any generalizations on which is superior.
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

Thumbs up Just watch out...

Great Kill!

But beware.

One of my best friends has an 03' Cobra and that thing smokes. I helped him put in a new exhaust, intake, and supercharger compressor wheel (changing the compressor wheel diameter can increase the PSI).

His car now runs mid 11's, and I fear that thing. I can still 60ft him, but once he gets traction I'm toast.

Yeah, I know about the pulley thing.. it will definitely hand me my ass at some point I'm sure.....

Plus, I don't think the guy was really used to driving it yet......

I haven't been able to get back to the track with my new top mount .... plus, I just put the factory flywheel back in ... I had a fidanza... and it screwed up my 60'ft's bad....

I used to run a 14.0 flat at 99 mph or so, with a 1.85 60 ft (with stock turbo), after I changed out the flywheel for a lighter one (9.8 lbs) I could never get my 60 ft's below a 1.97 or so .....even with the VF 22 ...

I should definitely be able to run a 12.8 or so by now....

I'm going to Battle Of The Imports in Chicago on the 14th to run it.... I'll see what times I get on and off the bottle...

Yeah, I know about the pulley thing.. it will definitely hand me my ass at some point I'm sure.....

Plus, I don't think the guy was really used to driving it yet......

I haven't been able to get back to the track with my new top mount .... plus, I just put the factory flywheel back in ... I had a fidanza... and it screwed up my 60'ft's bad....

I used to run a 14.0 flat at 99 mph or so, with a 1.85 60 ft (with stock turbo), after I changed out the flywheel for a lighter one (9.8 lbs) I could never get my 60 ft's below a 1.97 or so .....even with the VF 22 ...

I should definitely be able to run a 12.8 or so by now....

I'm going to Battle Of The Imports in Chicago on the 14th to run it.... I'll see what times I get on and off the bottle...
    Yep, lightweight flywheels are great for road racing but they are no good for drag racing...get better 60ft times with a heavier flywheel ( ie stock ) rather than a lightweight unit. Launching is where the rotational mass of the stock flywheel helps and is superior to a lightweight unit. Lightweight flywheels are not a good mod for the drag and street racers.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

Re: 03' Mustang Cobra SVT vs. My WRX

My best 1/4 time was a 13.2 at 104mph

Dude, nice run BUT you should be able to clip off 12.8's with a 104 in a WRX with a good and FLAT 1.8 60'. I run 12.9's with a mid 1.8 60'.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Originally posted by EIonJess
    MOMO Steering wheel, baby!

good run! just goes to show power is nutting with control of a good driver
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Originally posted by twinz

Yep, lightweight flywheels are great for road racing but they are no good for drag racing...get better 60ft times with a heavier flywheel ( ie stock ) rather than a lightweight unit. Launching is where the rotational mass of the stock flywheel helps and is superior to a lightweight unit. Lightweight flywheels are not a good mod for the drag and street racers.

One thing you forget to mention. They will help on the top end due to the reduction of rotating mass. It's kind of a catch 22 if you know what I mean.
    LETS PLAY

Buddy has an 02 WREX. Nice car and quite peppy (stock).

Had to give some support to the 03 Cobra since I just purchased one and have been down the track a few times.

Congrats on the Cobra kill! NO DOUBT you are modded to hell and back AND the Cobra owner cant drive (neither can I).

Just for some perspective.

I have raced 3 Z06's at the track and they beat me every time. They are running 11.99 - 12.3's @ 118 ish. All I've been able to accomplish in hot weather is a 13.02 @ 109.5. Others have seen mid 12's on a stock 03 Cobra @ 111 or so...

All things being equal, a Z06 should spank an 03 Cobra every race. We can hang VERY well 0-70 and then they walk HARD on use to the finish. That said, same goes for the WRX. I am quite sure that I will SMOKE any WRX (stock). I have been in and driven my friends 02 WRX. And while impressive, and with HIGH potential, it can NOT compete, nor is it in the same class as an 03 Cobra.

The 03 Cobra SOTP is HUGE comparitively. I can bust 0-60 times in the mid 4 second range. Even with taking it fairly easy so I dont spin.

Now. If you throw $250 into the 03 Cobra it will SMOKE even modded WRX's and take the Z06 too. A few more bucks ($2k tops) and some DR's this Cobra will produce 10's...

Problem with the Cobra is we are dynoing about 425 HP stock (flywheel, 370 RWHP). Thats a LOT of HP to learn to handle with a 6 speed.

Nothing against the WRX, but I had to put things into perspective.

HP costs money how fast do you want to go? (who said that? Lingenfelter?)....
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast