03' Mustang Cobra SVT vs. My WRX - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03' Mustang Cobra SVT vs. My WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The 03 Cobra seems to be a great car for the money. But k compared to k for a WRX, ...

The 03 Cobra seems to be a great car for the money. But $34k compared to $24k for a WRX, the WRX is definetly the best bang for the buck. If I invested $10k into my WRX it would run circles around a stock Cobra. Just my 2 cents.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by LIL SS

One thing you forget to mention. They will help on the top end due to the reduction of rotating mass. It's kind of a catch 22 if you know what I mean.
    Generally, lightened flywheels will not help on the top end. There's a dyno sheet around somewhere (BMW related) that showed some gains in gears 1,2, but after that and no gain. If you think about it for a sec, less weight means it's easier to get spinning, like a lighter car is easier to get moving. Once you're in motion the weight doesnt make that much of a difference. Lightened flywheels make less of a difference as the RPMs climb.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Originally posted by 03Cobra
    This was my best 60'. I mostly do 2.1's. If I could get my 60' down I'd be in the mid 12's STOCK! I guess for every 1/10 of a second on the 60' you pick up about 2/10ths or 3/10ths in the 1/4...

Not a flame, but I get a kick out of "STOCK". Stock means squat, look at what you're starting with...a supercharged 300ci+ V8. The new Vipers will throw down 500HP....STOCK! The 03 Civic will throw down 160HP - - STOCK! =)

The WRX is a low compression 190ci turbocharged H4....it's like bringing a .22 to a 9mm gun fight. It's small, it's accurate, it'll do the job but will get lost when the big boys start to open up.

The Mustank has finally gotten some balls under the hood, now if they'd get some styling cues (must ban the Mullet crowd) and make the interior something fitting for a crapload of HP, I'd be drooling. It's soooooooooooo easy to make gonzo HP out of a V8! That's the WHOLE reason why guys in puny 4 cylinders get such wood when beating any V8. 10's in a V8 should be done in NA form to be news worthy. Most seem to have forgotten about the 60s.

I wonder if we will start seeing a trend where the V8 builders will start applying some of the technology gained in 4's, like variable valve timing, cam timing, variable intake runners, variable exhaust, etc....oh wait...that's a Corvette... =) Seriously though...you'd start seeing 400hp V8s popping up all over the place, without FI.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Originally posted by Master Of Pain
    Climbing out of the hole with 500HP and 600TQ in a 5000LB RWD truck is a hard thing to do. Same with the Cobra. You have to learn how to do it!
    I'm not so much of a drag racer....but I've been awed by the F150 L. ....how are they on the highway? What's it like to punch it from 80mph on up to 120-130 or so? What can you hang with? Then, how scarey is it at 130-140-150? What about the light rear end, does that bite when having to do a little traffic football? I'm a road racer type.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

MADWAGON: I think you r mistaken. 60's muscle cars went 14's and 13's. 12's at best (426 Hemi, buick GS, 440, etc...) NO one I mean NO ONE went 10's in the 60's stock... NOt even a 427 Vette. Even the AC Cobra did low twelves cause of tire technology. Then are loow to mid 11 second cars, I've seen them.

I think the Mustang interior is not that bad at all. Matter of fact I think the Vettes have crappy interior for what you pay.

Trust me, the 03 Cobra is very nice to drive and nice on the inside. Dont knock them until you've driven one! I've driven both WREX and own the 03.
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

I want an 03 Cobra... Besides the fact that my girl is obsessed with mustangs and i raced a 03 Cobra on the street at the street races and beat him.... then i raced one on the highway and got walked (yeah i know 2 cars with ****ty toppend) Im still really impressed with the cobra, i got to test drive one and the guy at the dealership let me REALLY get on it, spun 1st and second then finally hooked and it pulled VERY nicely... I still would like it in an automatic though, since im more of a bracket style racer and i think manuals are limited once you get into the 11 second range in temrs of consistency and a good street clutch setup.

Rob

You know I was used to kickin my old Z28 Auto in the ass all the time. Could do 1.6 and 1.7 60's with 3.73 rear.

This car is a 6 speed and its nice to be able to control the speed and power when you like, but as for drag racing... Give me an automatic! They ROCK becuase they can shift MUCH faster than I can... 03's dont have the option... Plus you loose some RWHP with the auto...
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Best of both worlds?

Originally posted by 03Cobra
    This car is a 6 speed and its nice to be able to control the speed and power when you like, but as for drag racing... Give me an automatic! They ROCK becuase they can shift MUCH faster than I can... 03's dont have the option... Plus you loose some RWHP with the auto...
    BMW's M3 Option:
    Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) is the new BMW racing inspired transmission. This 6-speed manual transmission incorporates two shift modes: Sequential and Automated. In Sequential mode, shifting is controlled by moving the shift lever forward/rearward or by using shift paddles located at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions on the steering wheel. In Automated mode, shifting is controlled by the SMG computer system. In both Sequential and Automated modes, the driver has a choice of five DRIVELOGIC programs, ranging from comfort to sporty. The SMG transmission was inspired by and developed from years of BMW's racing experience.
    Advantages
    • Shifting can occur faster than even an expert driver can achieve. (as fast as 80 milliseconds)
    • 2 modes: Sequential and Automated
    • 5 DRIVELOGIC programs in both modes control gearshift actuation
    • SMG revs the throttle during downshifts to ensure smooth shifts
    • A BMW inspired gearbox with Formula One style controls
    • Shift lights maximize engine performance (sequential mode)
    • Includes Park Distance Control (rear)
    1997 Toyota Supra TT 6-speed
    It's Blurple and Slow.
    111*106*15979
    http://www.10-94.net/misc/sig.jpg
    The 10/94 Forum

I've seen the 02 M# and its awsome. BIG price tag I'm sure, but VERY nice car. Got a cousin who owns a BMW-Porsche dealership... Might have to pay him a visit!
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Originally posted by madwagon

I'm not so much of a drag racer....but I've been awed by the F150 L. ....how are they on the highway? What's it like to punch it from 80mph on up to 120-130 or so? What can you hang with? Then, how scarey is it at 130-140-150? What about the light rear end, does that bite when having to do a little traffic football? I'm a road racer type.
    I used to AutoX the beast. It handles better than a Mustang and on par with the late model Cobra's. It can follow a M3 through most curves. I've taken mine up to 150, stable all the way.

Originally posted by TURBLOWN
    The 03 Cobra seems to be a great car for the money. But $34k compared to $24k for a WRX, the WRX is definetly the best bang for the buck. If I invested $10k into my WRX it would run circles around a stock Cobra. Just my 2 cents.
    I'd have to disagree. The WRX ISN'T the best "bang" for the buck(to me ). Its the best "all-purpose sports sedan" for the buck, but certainly not the "bang". The 03' Cobra is THE fastest car for 35K. I own both an 02 Camaro SS and an 02 WRX so I'm by no means being biased.

An excellent driver will see 12.6s

A decent driver will see 12.8-9s

A crappy driver will see 13s.

These engines are built for boost. All they have to do is put the power to the ground efficiently. Lightly modded Cobras will see low 12s and maybe even high 11s.
    Last edited by Shaitiger; 09-12-2002 at 11:26 PM.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Holy garage full of hotrods, Batman!!!! I need a new job!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

The WRX is the fastest car for 24K. The 03 Cobra is also the fastest car for 35K. But with the extra 11K to spend on the WRX it will out perform the Cobra. That's just my opinion. I love the power that the Cobra is pushing stock and it's potential for more but it's still a Mustang. I went to look at them today and the sticker was 35K plus "market adjustment" - $5500...not sure if it's like that everywhere but damn that sucks. Personally, I don't like the looks of the Mustang and it still has the same crappy interior, although I did like the leather and suede seats.
    I like my WRX way more then I like the Cobra. I will beat a stock one and look better doing it in a 4cylinder 4 door sedan with a lot less invested. Again, that's just my opinion...and that's what counts.
    Last edited by TURBLOWN; 09-15-2002 at 10:46 PM.
    02 WRX 355/358 vf30/N20 SOLD!
    05 STI - stock! kinda...

Originally posted by TURBLOWN
    The WRX is the fastest car for 24K. The 03 Cobra is also the fastest car for 35K. But with the extra 11K to spend on the WRX it will out perform the Cobra. That's just my opinion. I love the power that the Cobra is pushing stock and it's potential for more but it's still a Mustang. I went to look at them today and the sticker was 35K plus "market adjustment" - $5500...not sure if it's like that everywhere but damn that sucks. Personally, I don't like the looks of the Mustang and it still has the same crappy interior, although I did like the leather and suede seats.
    I like my WRX way more then I like the Cobra. I will beat a stock one and look better doing it in a 4cylinder 4 door sedan with a lot less invested. Again, that's just my opinion...and that's what counts.
    No doubt you might be able to take the 03 Cobra. But can you at least show me what you have? Cause if your stock and the 03 is stock. I really dont think so.
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Edited my previous post to list mods. I know your probably going to say the only way I can beat a Cobra is with the nitrous but without it, it would be a good race especially on the street from a stop. After I upgrade the turbo, it shouldn't be a problem.
    03 Cobra- do you plan to upgrade? With a little money you will kill anything on the road.
    02 WRX 355/358 vf30/N20 SOLD!
    05 STI - stock! kinda...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.