03' Mustang Cobra SVT vs. My WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03' Mustang Cobra SVT vs. My WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by 03Cobra ...Problem with the Cobra is we are dynoing about 425 HP stock (flywheel, 370 RWHP).... Nothing ...

Originally posted by 03Cobra
    ...Problem with the Cobra is we are dynoing about 425 HP stock (flywheel, 370 RWHP)....

Nothing against the WRX, but I had to put things into perspective.

HP costs money how fast do you want to go? (who said that? Lingenfelter?)....
    SVT.Ford.com says the 03 Cobra has 390hp, just wondering where 425hp came from?

And it sounds like you have a lot against the WRX. What did the WRX ever do to you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Kenneth: What RPM did you launch at when you raced the Mustang? Good kill, BTW.

You said you ran him at the track - what was ur exactly time and mph at the end?
    Just wondering!

- M a t t -
    1997 Toyota Supra TT 6-speed
    It's Blurple and Slow.
    111*106*15979
    http://www.10-94.net/misc/sig.jpg
    The 10/94 Forum

1. Ford says the 03 Cobra has 390 HP at the flywheel. Most people who are dynoing the stock 03 Cobra are getting from 360-380 RWHP. Thats about 370 RWHP average. 370 x 1.15 (for a 15% loss to the rear) ~ 425 HP at the flywheel. This is assuming the average 15% loss. Could be less could be more. The car is definately under rated. As is the Lightning.

2. NOthing against WRX. Just giving an 03 Cobra perspective.

3. I have tried to launch at idle, 1500, 2000, 2500, and 3000. I think I dd my best 60' at 3000 on a good track with spin and no bog.

4. My best time so far is 13.02 @ 109.5 with a 2.09 60'...

This was my best 60'. I mostly do 2.1's. If I could get my 60' down I'd be in the mid 12's STOCK! I guess for every 1/10 of a second on the 60' you pick up about 2/10ths or 3/10ths in the 1/4...

Another thing to consider:

I dont know how Subaru builds the WRX internals, but you guys who are pushing 20psi boost are nuts. Sure you might spank a few Cobra's and Z06's but how many times before you blow that engine?

The 03 CObra runs 7.5-8 psi stock with ALL forged internals! VERY VERY strong engine. Can easily withstand more pressure. 10-12 psi no problem. Can go 150,000 miles on 12 psi, I'd bet...

Biggest problem with the Cobra is WEIGHT! A 3650 lb sled!
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

I was launching at about 5,500 rpms ... slipping the clutch .... (fidanza flywheel, to light.. .now it's gone, just re-installed stocker)

We have a track, that is a 2.4 mile road racing track, 1320 feet is roped off, there are no timeslips... strickly bragging rights....

As for 03 Cobras, although impressive... I'm not really that impressed .....

Not only have I beaten the stock silver one, but I also raced a stock red one at the 1/4 track, he ran 14's all night, I was running 13.5's, 13.2's ..... at over 104 mph ....

I just saw the red one at the track again, he said "guaranteed 12's" .. he has his exhaust done, and has also installed a "lightning pulley" ....still, his best time the other night was a 13.6 ...... edit: I just heard he actually didn't have the pulley installed yet... just a chip.....

The guy might be a crappy driver ... I don't know ..... (he has done well over 30-40 1/4 mile runs ... he should know what he's doing by now)

And you can run 20psi on our engines, as long as you take care of "detonation" ... I run a mix of race gas and 92 octane all week long . .... costs more, but I can safely run it.......
    Last edited by Kenneth2000; 09-09-2002 at 08:13 AM.
    02 Blaze Yellow WRX >>> 04 STi >>> 05 300c SRT8 w/100 shot >>> 06 EVO IX ... I'm loving it!!

The new cobra is def. the ultimate performance bargain. I'm willing to bet after these new owners get used to their new found power, we'll be seeing 12 sec stock time slips. Remember the lightning can be made to run 12s (pulley, few other small mods) and I'm sure it weighs over 4000lbs, there will be little reason why the cobra won't up the bar even further.
    Kenneth,
    Why did you get rid of the flywheel? I basically have the same mods as you and I'm looking into getting a flywheel along w/ a new clutch.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

One sure thing, these AWD turbo cars are FAST. Most of them are pulling 1.7-1.8 60 foot times... They launch HARD off the line. Thats what makes them so damn hard to beat in the 1/8 mile.

The 14 second 03 Cobra was a joke. Now I dont know how they drive nor the altitude or temps... But this aint no 14 second car. The Mustang GT and stock WRX is a 14 second car. TRUST me the Cobra is a Z06 contender and neither are 14 second cars. Both are 12 second cars stock. Once you learn to drive them and the engine loosens up a bit, you will see LOTs of 12's stock...

With a crappy driver ANYTHING is possible!

BTW: It took me about 10-15 times down the 1/4 mile track and some pointers from a fellow Z06 driver to get my car to even produce 13.0 @ 109.5...

The problem with the Cobra is that its VERY hard to drive with all that power. Now if you race me from a rolling start I will spank the CRAP out of MANY cars on the road. Hell I've seen stock VIPER GTS' run 11.5 second 1/4's at 125 MPH bone stock! The magazines dont mean crap. I'm thinking the average 03 Cobra should be pulling around a 13.0 @ 110 ish. Better drivers will se 12's. A few mods - 10's.

I plan to meet with my buddy on this board. He lives 6 hours away. He and I will run the stock 03 Cobra and the stock 02 WRX and perhaps take some video. I will give him the camera since it will be hard for me to video him WAY behind me. WE will do starts from a stop, rolling start, and at 60 MPH. I will be MONEY I will take him EVERY time. We are both about the same caliber of driver (both slightly above SUCK).
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Climbing out of the hole with 500HP and 600TQ in a 5000LB RWD truck is a hard thing to do. Same with the Cobra. You have to learn how to do it!

Re: 03' Mustang Cobra SVT vs. My WRX

Originally posted by Kenneth2000
    Last Saturday, there were 2 Supercharged 2003 Cobras at the track .....

I asked both of them to race (bragging rights only, like a street race) Neither one of them wanted to run me.... One of them said ... "Oh we know all about your little AWD" ???? I was like what ? You have a supercharged V8, that runs 12's !

My best 1/4 time was a 13.2 at 104mph ... these guys have 12.8 or 12.9 sec cars... STOCK ! (obviously, good drivers & ultimate track conditions)

Anyways, near the end of the night, the silver cobra was lined up near the start line, but didn't have anyone to run against.... some dude yelled out at me.... "Hey, want to run this guy?" The Cobra driver couldn't see who the Staff guy was asking..... I yelled, "sure"

As we lined up... the Cobra driver looked over at me... and looked like he kind of "sighed" or something.......

The flagger dropped the flag.....

I was gone.... 4- cars on the launch....

As I crossed the 1320, he was 5-6 cars behind me.... I coudn't tell if he was pulling on me or not... but it was still pretty sweet !

Oh, and my car was running without the front and rear bumper co vers..... it looked really fugly !
    I love it. Sounds like me and the Z06's. Got to love it.

Originally posted by 03Cobra
    We are both about the same caliber of driver (both slightly above SUCK).
    LoL
    All this really makes me want to run my car this thanksgiving . . .

- M a t t -
    1997 Toyota Supra TT 6-speed
    It's Blurple and Slow.
    111*106*15979
    http://www.10-94.net/misc/sig.jpg
    The 10/94 Forum

All8UP:

Well, originally, it was just because I couldn't source a replacement "steel" insert for my fidanza ..... right away... I do have to say though, from launching at 5500 or so rpms, and slipping my clutch, the steel insert on the fidanza was pretty fried ... so I just had the stock one turned, and re-installed it....

Launching with a sub 10lb flywheel really changed things ... I could never get it down right.....

03Cobra:

BTW, I ran 13.2's at over 104mph with 2.1 60 fts ! ..... AWD certainly didn't help me much in the 60 ft department !

I would certainly expect you to hand a stock wrx their asses with what you have...... I'm not talking about stock ... stock wrx's have no top end whatsoever ...... On the other hand, if you were running me from a roll, a stop.. a go.... I think it would be a very close race every time..... you can tell by my 60 fts that it isn't the AWD that is giving me the advantage... it's the upgaded turbo (over stock I mean)

Hopefully, without nitrous, stock flywheel back in, I will be running 12.8's or 12.7's ... we'll see ...... who knows .....

I also run a 2000 or 2001 Lightning all the time... he even has the upgraded pulley, diablo chip, exhaust.... and I walk all over him... from a launch, even from a roll... doesn't matter....... he even had et streets one time too! (mind you, the guy is 125 lbs heavier than I am)
    Last edited by Kenneth2000; 09-09-2002 at 02:02 PM.
    02 Blaze Yellow WRX >>> 04 STi >>> 05 300c SRT8 w/100 shot >>> 06 EVO IX ... I'm loving it!!

I was talking to the owner of a local speed shop and he said that he has it from a good source that the 03 cobra will run 470WHP with about $1000 in mods. Crazy!

Originally posted by AaronC
    I was talking to the owner of a local speed shop and he said that he has it from a good source that the 03 cobra will run 470WHP with about $1000 in mods. Crazy!
    Yup. That engine is sick. Too bad alot of it is based on old tech.

03Cobra

Hi all,
    I'm the buddy of the 03Cobra, I'm waiting for him to bring that thing up to CT but I know my stock car has no chance. Maybe with a few K in mod's I could try to hang but if he did the same I believe I would always end up in the rearview on this one. The car has too much HP stock vs stock and I'd imagine that if you did equivalent mods, it would not be possible for us to beat. But I do love the argument of showing what a little 2.0 liter engine can do. I'm sure he'll quickly agree that the power/liter is incredible in these cars, modded or otherwise.

BlackWRX:

Well, I'm glad to hear that you own a WRX, and that you guys are going to have a "friendly run" ....

Keep in mind that we do own 2.0 Liter 4 cylinder 4 door sedans...

I never compared a stock WRX to a Stock 2003 Cobra SVT, I always stated, "Modded" ..... how else are we supposed to compete with a 4..++ liter V8 that is supercharged!

Anyways, if you wanted to give your friend a run for his money, I'd invest about $2k ... buy a Turbo upgrade, i.e. VF22 or PE1820, with supporting mods of up-pipe, down-pipe, S-AFC (fuel) possibly some STi Injectors and a manual boost controller ....

Wouldn't be that hard..... And, keep in mind, you (we) would own a car with that type of performance, "Year Round" ... not just in the summer time......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast