2005 WRX vs. 2005 MUSTANG - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2005 WRX vs. 2005 MUSTANG within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The GTs, yes, but if you re-read the post, he clearly states that he's not comparing the WRX to the ...

The GTs, yes, but if you re-read the post, he clearly states that he's not comparing the WRX to the GT, but the WRX to the V6 Mustang.
    2004 Java Black Pearl STI
    Shocks... Pegs... Lucky.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ForPointSex
    I'd do a little more research about the 2005 mustang before making a comment like that.

lol sry, i really should do more research... but stangs are known for having terrible handling and are best when they go in straight lines.... i assumed according to reputation of past models.

i''ve been in a 1995 mustang GT, it had so much fkn torque!!!! my friend took me for a ride, and hot damn, the tires burned while taking a turn when he was pulling out of the parking lot

since it doesn't have all wheel drive and an independent rear suspension.... i assumed that the stang would get left behind by the rex. I thought the REX was designed for handling, while the mustang was designed for drag racing

if anyone thinks otherwise, then plz explain to me that the 2005 mustang can keep up with a wrx in road filled with turns.
    Straightaways are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers...

Quote Originally Posted by EVOVIII
    You are going to try to drag race people with a V6 Mustang? Dude, get the GT please, dont embarrass yourself.

Car and driver had this to say about the 05's handling

"The next best thing about the Mustang is that it now rides like a modern car. Less jarring crash-through, fewer expansion-strip jitters, no lateral wango-tango over broken pavement, less suspension-borne road noise. Yet even with the far cushier ride, handling has improved. Not even the most recent independent-rear-suspension SVT Cobra can match the new GT's skidpad grip, which now also surpasses a Nissan 350Z Touring's, come to think of it. Pitched hard into corners, the Mustang is initially neutral, then tends toward understeer. If the push annoys you, just stab the throttle and you can induce power oversteer. Neutral, understeer, oversteer. Quite a smorgasbord. And the tail-happiness now materializes more gently, rather than in one heart-stopping twitch. Throughout, extraneous body movements are nicely damped."

Here's the full story. http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

If you look up the 200ft skidpad for both cars, the WRX=0.84 and the 2005 Mustang=0.87
    Mustang, 2002, Silver, GT, 5 SP
    View My Members Page

I Support ClubWRX
    Well that's nice and all, but skidpad testing is more of a tire test than anything (unless you're driving a cargo van with Pirellis or something). I'm sure the GT handles nicely for what it is, but for all out stability and cornering aggression on the street or track, I'll take an independently suspended AWD vehicle any day. We've been over this many times.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

guys just because somone is young does not mean they are irresponsible. I do admit though that im extremely lucky that my parents paied half for my car (about 8500). What i was saying though is that although a lot of younger kids are irresponsible and do stupid things in their car dosnt mean we all do it. Ill be 18 in january and i got my WRX last April. I actually get made fun of because I "dont drive my car how its ment to be driven." I just think that its kind of annoying when people assume things based on age. end rant

But back to the real topic of this thread. Like other people said, i think you would take him off the line and most likely from a roll also. From a roll would prob. be much closer though depending on how well you drive.
    Last edited by palmerx141; 12-12-2004 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by palmerx141
    guys just because somone is young does not mean they are irresponsible. I do admit though that im extremely lucky that my parents paied half for my car (about 8500). What i was saying though is that although a lot of younger kids are irresponsible and do stupid things in their car dosnt mean we all do it. Ill be 18 in january and i got my WRX last April. I actually get made fun of because I "dont drive my car how its ment to be driven." I just think that its kind of annoying when people assume things based on age. end rant

But back to the real topic of this thread. Like other people said, i think you would take him off the line and most likely from a roll also. From a roll would prob. be much closer though depending on how well you drive.

maybe i should have told everyone that i'd be paying for about 6k of it. its not much, but considering how much i've saved and refrained from spending money, i think i did a nice job. ESPECIALY when paintballing was the thing to do with my friends, i had to sit out most of the time, and be the stinge while my rich ass friends just spend thousands on paintball stuff lol.... damn those were difficult days filled with temptations...

sounds good. looks like the REX will own a V6 mustang from a stop. now to go study and try to earn this car....

You are going to try to drag race people with a V6 Mustang? Dude, get the GT please, dont embarrass yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertbert2oo6
    maybe i should have told everyone that i'd be paying for about 6k of it. its not much, but considering how much i've saved and refrained from spending money, i think i did a nice job. ESPECIALY when paintballing was the thing to do with my friends, i had to sit out most of the time, and be the stinge while my rich ass friends just spend thousands on paintball stuff lol.... damn those were difficult days filled with temptations...

sounds good. looks like the REX will own a V6 mustang from a stop. now to go study and try to earn this car....

I wouldn't worry with others looking down on you getting the car.. Don't get me wrong, i feel that the wrx is a nice car, but its no Bentley or anything..

As far as the question goes, I would go with the wrx, since it can ber modded for more power a lot easier than the V6 mustang.

I think an added bonus too is that the WRX interior is actually nicer than that of the Mustang. Perhaps that is something that will be upgraded over the next few model years on the Mustang, but as is right now, it isn't much compraed to a WRX (which is no VW either).

As far as ownage from a stop, yes, the wrx will win, but you will find that you will have to perform some abusive driving to get those amazing 0-60 times. The 5-60mph times (which are not usually all that great for forced induction cars compared to NA because of turbo lag) are more indicative of what you will get out of the car with a normal street start. In such driving, you will find that the Mustang will have noticably more grunt under 3K rpms.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

If I had to choose between a WRX or a 2005 V6 mustang; it would be no choice, I'd pick the WRX. I would never own a V6 mustang; I don't care how it looks. If your going to buy a sports car, be sure you can back it up with some power.

The WRX has been around for a couple of years and has plenty of upgrades available. With the V6 stang, don't expect power upgrades to come out soon. It's an old engine that was used in the Ford Explorer. I also do not like Fords V6 or 4 cyl engines; from my experience, they don't seem that reliable.

A fair comparison should be a 2005 Mustang GT to a 2005 WRX, or a 2005 Mustang V6 to a Impreza RS. Now a V8 stang to a WRX is personal preference and what your needs for the car are.
    Mustang, 2002, Silver, GT, 5 SP
    View My Members Page

I'm a big mustang fan, (obviously) and the new 2005's look good. Much better than any WRX's in my opinion. I think the performance of the V6 would be surprisingly close too. However, I see you live in Mass. If you are gonna drive the car all year, the AWD of the WRX would be a MAJOR selling point. I don't drive my stang in the winter is because.... Well... it will barely move in the snow. And I'm not about to put 50lbs of sand in the trunk and gunga snow tires just to move around.

If its gonna be your only car, and you live in the Northeast:
    My vote is for the WRX.
    Last edited by cojo428; 12-13-2004 at 08:25 AM.
    | HOME | WRX |

2002 WRX - Blue - 5 MT - K&N, catless, APS Unichip II

The wrx would take the v6 mustang anyday stock to stock. I had the 4.0l in my ranger and the best it would run is mid 16's with 4:11 gears. I have racing since 14 year old. I have a wrx and stock it ran 14.40 in the 1/4 mile. It now has exhaust and waiting on coilovers.

Later
    Brian
    Rev'n Seven Motorsports And Quad City Boxer Four
    02 WRX Wagon 13.6@99mph 1.90 60 foot

I Support ClubWRX
    Odd how these threads seem to morph into different aspects of old arguments.

For the record, a stock WRX will not have a problem with a stock 05 mustang 6 cylinder. With over 300 lbs more weight and at least 15 less horsepower, although close to 15 more ft/lbs torque, the Mustang won't hang. I'll give it a 14.6/14.7. in the 1/4.

For those opinionated enough to judge how others should raise their children, you can use my example of whats not right in YOUR world. When my kids are ready to drive, and providing they show the signs of maturity and responsibility I think is needed, they will have a choice of performance vehicles. Note this will come with a few caveats: Good attitude, a driving school or 4 (at least), and the willingnes to work on their own vehicles.

My dad took the same route with me, and although the my first car was nowhere near new, it was acquired with the direct support of my dad (since we were a bit poor, a new car was out of the question..first car was a 1969, and I didn't start driving till 1976). Prior to even getting my liscense, I was schooled by him, an uncle or two, and a few notable drivers in the area, since a thing such as performance schools weren't available then. Yeah, I had my share of close calls, but never an accident. This was while driving a car with nearly 500 HP while I was 16. I think it's all part of the environment you are raised in. With my whole family involved in racing of some form or another, your level of understanding and respect for a vehicle is a bit different than the norm.

In short, I'll trust my own judgment as to if my kids will be ready and deserving of a car like the WRX. They already go to races with me, and love a good car movie as much as I do. This isn't to say the keys won't get yanked at a moments notice either. As a reward, tool for incentive, social key, etc, automobiles can be very useful in a teenagers life. But, the can alse be a deadly weapon. Like a gun, a car is only as smart as the operator. Think about it though...how many dad's get there kids' guns at 14 for hunting?

ok...off my soapbox.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Odd how these threads seem to morph into different aspects of old arguments.

For the record, a stock WRX will not have a problem with a stock 05 mustang 6 cylinder. With over 300 lbs more weight and at least 15 less horsepower, although close to 15 more ft/lbs torque, the Mustang won't hang. I'll give it a 14.6/14.7. in the 1/4.

For those opinionated enough to judge how others should raise their children, you can use my example of whats not right in YOUR world. When my kids are ready to drive, and providing they show the signs of maturity and responsibility I think is needed, they will have a choice of performance vehicles. Note this will come with a few caveats: Good attitude, a driving school or 4 (at least), and the willingnes to work on their own vehicles.

My dad took the same route with me, and although the my first car was nowhere near new, it was acquired with the direct support of my dad (since we were a bit poor, a new car was out of the question..first car was a 1969, and I didn't start driving till 1976). Prior to even getting my liscense, I was schooled by him, an uncle or two, and a few notable drivers in the area, since a thing such as performance schools weren't available then. Yeah, I had my share of close calls, but never an accident. This was while driving a car with nearly 500 HP while I was 16. I think it's all part of the environment you are raised in. With my whole family involved in racing of some form or another, your level of understanding and respect for a vehicle is a bit different than the norm.

In short, I'll trust my own judgment as to if my kids will be ready and deserving of a car like the WRX. They already go to races with me, and love a good car movie as much as I do. This isn't to say the keys won't get yanked at a moments notice either. As a reward, tool for incentive, social key, etc, automobiles can be very useful in a teenagers life. But, the can alse be a deadly weapon. Like a gun, a car is only as smart as the operator. Think about it though...how many dad's get there kids' guns at 14 for hunting?

ok...off my soapbox.
    you made some good points.

by getting good grades, my dad thinks that im demonstrating that im ready and responsible enough for a WRX... but that's not ALL. he wants me to do other ridiculous things such as use a full box of printer paper for MATH scrap paper.... and i have to havea good attitude.

Once i slip, and show a terrible attitude towards my parents, then he will think that im irresponsible and will not let me drive reguardless of my grades.

so plz, before pointing fingers and saying "ITS SPOILED, AND THERE IS NO QUESTION ABOUT IT," im pretty sure everyone under 18 here isn't spoiled, cause if those kids were really spoiled, they'd be out, crashing it spoiled kids have a bad habit of crashing expensive cars, and buying new ones the week after...

Don't the wrx's still go for 24-25? The 05 GT's are only 25 with out any of the extra's. That's the way I would go. I plan to order my 05 stang in a couple weeks, it should take a month or two to get, but that just means I can save up more for a down payment.

Get the WRX and you can put a Stage 2 on it that will run with the 05 GT or beat it
    TopSpeed S/S header, UP, DP, 3" back, no cats. Samco I/C hoses, XTurbo BOV, EBC @ 16.25 PSI. NGK Iridiuim plugs. AutoMeter pro-comp guages.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXVinny
    Get the WRX and you can put a Stage 2 on it that will run with the 05 GT or beat it
    Or sell my wrx get a GT through on a supercharger and smoke 98% or the wrx's on the road. It take's alot to get the little wrx to trap over 100 mph like the GT does stock. In fact there trap speeds are pretty close to STi level. 100-104 or so.

I just think there cool looking, before the 05 I wouldn't have owned a mustang. But, ford hit the nail on the head in my book.

I figure with gears, exhaust, ecu flash 12's should be pretty easy. Not as fast as my wrx, but once I add a supercharger there will be no looking back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast