12.8 WRX vs. Late model Z28 from 60mph roll
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 12.8 WRX vs. Late model Z28 from 60mph roll within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I was on my way home from a friends house last night around 3am. There really wasn't anybody out ...

12.8 WRX vs. Late model Z28 from 60mph roll

So I was on my way home from a friends house last night around 3am. There really wasn't anybody out on the roads and then all of a sudden a couple of guys pull up next to me at a light. They were in a late model Camaro and said Z28 on the back and had some ugly balck rectangular (wide and flat) exhaust tips.

I really didn't think much about it and then as the light turned green he kinda got on it a little. I guess he was trying to get my attention. We got to the next light and I thought to myself "there's no way that they want to race me since the road is damp and he's RWD". So the light turns green and he did the same thing and then slowed back down and then would speed back up.

So it turned out that we were both turning out onto the same hwy after his last couple of attention getting manuevers. As we did he kinda waited for me to catch up and as I got near he punched it. So I was like ok then, I'll bite. I caught up and matched his speed. We were doing about 60mph. Side by side and then I downshifted from 4th to 3rd and just sat there at his door. So of course he punched it and got a 1/2 car length by the time I hit the throttle.

I pulled the Z28 in rather quickly and passed them and continued to get about two car lengths by 80mph. I think he was in denial so I slowed down next to him and looked over to laugh at him. He must've got pissed and then tried it again with the same results whilst getting a royal ass spanking by my little 4cyl.

I'm guessing he thought that my WRX was just another push over Honda Civic LOL.

Anybody know anything about those Z28's? Are they supposed to be fast? I think his was an AT since he was able to punch it so quickly.
    Last edited by boosted 4; 09-01-2002 at 12:08 PM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sweet KILL, nothing like trashing a V8 on the highway.

Hmmm, sounds like it was a late 90's model? If it had the sqare headlights it was older than 97, if they were round and celica lookin it as a newer one. I belive form 90-94 they made like 270hp crank, then it jumped to like 285hp, in 95. Then in 98 I think they were up to like 300hp.

Correct my if I'm wrong about the Camero.

-Dave, CassMan

Correct. Up untill 98' they had LT1 motors. From there on they have the LS1. Those things can be monsters! Good job~

-Fess

Good kill, I just love beating Z28s.

As mentioned in a early post. If the car had the rounded Celica looking lights it was an LS1. The LS1'S look like a catfish.
    The LT1 have a more pointed front end with rectangular headlights.
    My LT1 Z28 ran mid 14s @ 98-100mph on average stock.
    My LS1 Z28 ran mid 13s @ 103-105mph on average stock

Beating either model from a roll is an accomplishment worthy of a big smile. Much better than me beating up on a Toyota Matrix the other day. Hay, he wanted to race. My all time best street race was against a brand new 2002 Porsche Carrara. I took him from a 1st gear roll up to 100mph by several car lengths. The guy had his girl friend in the car with him which made it even better. Its a stock WRX. he he

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Good kill, I just love beating Z28s.

As mentioned in a early post. If the car had the rounded Celica looking lights it was an LS1. The LS1'S look like a catfish.
    The LT1 have a more pointed front end with rectangular headlights.
    My LT1 Z28 ran mid 14s @ 98-100mph on average stock.
    My LS1 Z28 ran mid 13s @ 103-105mph on average stock

Beating either model from a roll is an accomplishment worthy of a big smile. Much better than me beating up on a Toyota Matrix the other day. Hay, he wanted to race. My all time best street race was against a brand new 2002 Porsche Carrara. I took him from a 1st gear roll up to 100mph by several car lengths. The guy had his girl friend in the car with him which made it even better. Its a stock WRX. he he
    SGOSWRX - thanks and don't sweat the Matrix deal. You could've posted the same about the Celica GTS and I would've thought the same. They aren't bad cars FWIW. I just wish Toyota would've done something with the below the 6k rpm range. It's a real dog down there.

I honestly don't kniow which Z28 it was since I'm not all that familiar with 'em. I just know that it said "Z28" on the back and was a newer model Camaro with a V8 brap to it.

BTW, SGOSWRX , seems like your WRX is running about like mine. my bet is 8.1 at nearly 85mph. I was talking to some guys over the weekend that had STI injectors and fuel pump with turbo upgrade and aren't running quite as strong trap speeds as I am. We actually run at the same track so that tells me that my WRX is running fairly strong.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Originally posted by boosted 4

SGOSWRX - thanks and don't sweat the Matrix deal. You could've posted the same about the Celica GTS and I would've thought the same. They aren't bad cars FWIW. I just wish Toyota would've done something with the below the 6k rpm range. It's a real dog down there.

I honestly don't kniow which Z28 it was since I'm not all that familiar with 'em. I just know that it said "Z28" on the back and was a newer model Camaro with a V8 brap to it.

BTW, SGOSWRX , seems like your WRX is running about like mine. my bet is 8.1 at nearly 85mph. I was talking to some guys over the weekend that had STI injectors and fuel pump with turbo upgrade and aren't running quite as strong trap speeds as I am. We actually run at the same track so that tells me that my WRX is running fairly strong.
    Damn no injectors? I think the fp turbo with turboxs tuned ran 100% injector duty by 7k? Your turbo is the same thing as turbospecialties stock turbo upgrade isn't it? I know of another wrx running your same turbo with a walbro fuel pump and basic bolt ons.

Originally posted by BamBooI

Damn no injectors? I think the fp turbo with turboxs tuned ran 100% injector duty by 7k? Your turbo is the same thing as turbospecialties stock turbo upgrade isn't it? I know of another wrx running your same turbo with a walbro fuel pump and basic bolt ons.
    No. My turbo has a very expensive 15G turbine in it also ($380) above the cheap clipping of a tiny 13G.

For the record, the FP turbo only does a compressor wheel and clips the back side. That's cool and it can still flow air on the back but ultimately the hole itself it too small. Enlarging it to accept a 15 and then minor clipping does a world of diff. (and yes running it like this is really damned lean!)

You could call my turbo a big looking little turbo
    Last edited by boosted 4; 09-01-2002 at 06:17 PM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Oh is that what fp does? I rode in a 15g wrx. He worked at turbo specialties and he and reid put a 15g in his turbo. I wasn't that much impressed with the ride. It had a loud turbo whine though. Turbo Specialties does 15g upgrade+walbro fuel pump for 600 bucks I think. Who did yours? The guy with the wrx told me the 15g is just like the silvia turbo.

I was running consistant 8.20s in the 1/8 mile in 90 degree heat with the stock fuel injectors/fuel pump/ computer. (After my VF30 swap)
    I saw very little increase in peformance after my Stage 4 Program/sti injectors/fuel pump.
    I guess its mostly an issue of safety. Even though my car wasn't much faster I feel better knowing I have these mods. But I will admit I was disappointed.

Oh is that what fp does? I rode in a 15g wrx. He worked at turbo specialties and he and reid put a 15g in his turbo. I wasn't that much impressed with the ride. It had a loud turbo whine though. Turbo Specialties does 15g upgrade+walbro fuel pump for 600 bucks I think. Who did yours? The guy with the wrx told me the 15g is just like the silvia turbo.
    BamBooI - I don't think we're on the same page so allow me to clarify.

I've got a Garrett "compressor wheel" which is roughly the same size as a Mitsu 18G. The "turbine wheel" of the turbo is a 15G.

See the illustration below for further details on a turbo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails turbo-parts.gif  
    2002 WRBP WRX

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Originally posted by SGOSWRX

I was running consistant 8.20s in the 1/8 mile in 90 degree heat with the stock fuel injectors/fuel pump/ computer. (After my VF30 swap)
    I saw very little increase in peformance after my Stage 4 Program/sti injectors/fuel pump.
    I guess its mostly an issue of safety. Even though my car wasn't much faster I feel better knowing I have these mods. But I will admit I was disappointed.

I here ya but how much boost are you running through that VF30. I've got numerous 12.9's now from two different visits to the track and one 12.8 with a decent 60' (1.80) and all runs were on only 16 psi boost.

Believe it or not, NC Summers aren't much better than FL's summers. You can see 100 f and really high humidity levels. I grew up in south FL until I was like 14 and still have family down there.

As soon as I get the injectors and pump I'll be brave enough to give it an extra 4+ psi boost and I think low 12's should be possible (especially witht the cooler weather coming in the Fall). The really big difference with my turbo and others of similar size is that mine has been built for "above standard driving use".

The compressor wheel has been knife edged and the turbine has been moderatley clipped. Also, the turbo housing has been match ported for the up-pipe and punched out all the way down with a special thrust bearing designed for it.
    2002 WRBP WRX

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Re: 12.8 WRX vs. Late model Z28 from 60mph roll

in a late model Camaro and said Z28 on the back and had some ugly balck rectangular (wide and flat) exhaust tips.
    Those are the stock exhaust tips. I traded a 6-speed 2000 Camaro Z28 for my WRX. Stock 98+ Z28s will usually run low to mid 13's stock. High 12's have even been achieved bone stock. Mine was an absolute beast with only a K&N drop-in and a Borla cat-back exhaust. I never lost a race in that car including one to a C5 Corvette (which I think was auto, but still... ) The 98+ cars had the Corvette LS1 V8, and the earlier 90's models had LT1s. If you are running 12.8's and beat him that badly, I'm going to guess it was an LT1 or a bone stock LS1 auto. Nice kill regardless. This was my baby, I miss that car <sniff sniff>
    http://2000-z.cz28.com/

The front-end on the LS1's look like mine, while the LT1 look more like a big Geo storm. The 98+ taillights are also a bit different with the amber/white/red split. The 97s and earlier 4th gens had red taillights with an oval of white near the top.... Both had the ugly rectangular black exhaust tips stock.
    Last edited by 2003WRX; 09-03-2002 at 08:48 AM.
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

Re: Re: 12.8 WRX vs. Late model Z28 from 60mph roll

Originally posted by 2003WRX

Those are the stock exhaust tips. I traded a 6-speed 2000 Camaro Z28 for my WRX. Stock 98+ Z28s will usually run low to mid 13's stock. High 12's have even been achieved bone stock. Mine was an absolute beast with only a K&N drop-in and a Borla cat-back exhaust. I never lost a race in that car including one to a C5 Corvette (which I think was auto, but still... ) The 98+ cars had the Corvette LS1 V8, and the earlier 90's models had LT1s. If you are running 12.8's and beat him that badly, I'm going to guess it was an LT1 or a bone stock LS1 auto. Nice kill regardless. This was my baby, I miss that car <sniff sniff>
    http://2000-z.cz28.com/

The front-end on the LS1's look like mine, while the LT1 look more like a big Geo storm. The 98+ taillights are also a bit different with the amber/white/red split. The 97s and earlier 4th gens had red taillights with an oval of white near the top.... Both had the ugly rectangular black exhaust tips stock.
    I looked at your car and the one I raced was identical from the back but I don't really remember the front. I'm going to guess it was the squared lights in the front (didn't have that newer rounded front like yours) but it was dark out so it was kinda difficult to identify.

I remember the back fairly well because they kept jumping in front of me for a couple of miles of driving while trying to pick our little street race. I'd be surprised if that particular Camaro could run better than a 13.5 Usually at the track that I go to, they don't run better than low 13's from what I've seen.
    Last edited by boosted 4; 09-03-2002 at 10:12 AM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

boosted 4: /|\

Re: Re: Re: 12.8 WRX vs. Late model Z28 from 60mph roll

I looked at your car and the one I raced was identical from the back but I don't really remember the front. I'm going to guess it was the squared lights in the front (didn't have that newer rounded front like yours) but it was dark out so it was kinda difficult to identify.
    Yeah, it sounds like an LT1 (93-97) Z28. Alot of LT1 guys switch out the taillights for the newer 98+ ones. Regardless, nice kill! Even an automatic LT1 is by no means a slow car!
    Last edited by 2003WRX; 09-03-2002 at 10:29 AM.
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.