RSX Type S Encounter - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on RSX Type S Encounter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by smokey Who was busting anyone's ass? Sounds to me like the only ass that was busted was ...

Originally posted by smokey

Who was busting anyone's ass?

Sounds to me like the only ass that was busted was the RSX-S...

He thought the race was going to be competitive (his own words) and I was just saying that the RSX-S owner should have known better as even a modded RSX-S will most likely lose to a stock WRX, let alone a highly modded one (such as So if I'm busting anyone's ass, its the RSX owner that thought he had a chance. Are you sticking up for him now. Has hell frozen over?

Secondly, I was just talking about the common perception that RSX-S's tend to get on this board. I was merely saying that I hoped RSXSucks and I were giving you all a different impression of real RSX-S owners, one's that know what their cars of capable of, etc... I wasn't talking specifically to chu when I talked of "seeing the light."

The third paragraph was a bit of fun...the RSX-S isn't in Chu's league, ESPECIALLY with all those mods. I thought it was uninteresting to see a race w/ an obvious outcome (just my personal opinion) so I told him to go beat a Mustang GT and then tell me about it. Is there somethign wrong with that?

If you sensed some unneccesary sarcasm, then I apologize.
    i guess i just find it funny that on the rsx forum they always dog us about our top end, and that from a roll a type s can take us...they seem to think that it would be a competitive race. apparently you are a much more realistic rsx owner.

since when is up/down pipe, mbc heavily modded????

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've driven an RSX-S and a regular RSX recently (girlfriend was looking for a new car) and while the 'S' had a reasonable amount of power in the upper rev range, it was really unimpressive down low. My 02 Nissan Spec-V would waste the RSX-S from a dead stop badly from a torque point of view. The RSX should catch up to that car around the top of 2nd gear (unfortunately, the Nissan redlines at 6250 ). It would seem to me that an RSX would need to be modified significantly to run well with my stock 03 WRX though... just my observations. The RSX-S was a hell of a nice car though, I really liked it. The build quality was nice and the engine sounds great.
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

Originally posted by SobeWRX

i guess i just find it funny that on the rsx forum they always dog us about our top end, and that from a roll a type s can take us...they seem to think that it would be a competitive race. apparently you are a much more realistic rsx owner.

since when is up/down pipe, mbc heavily modded????
    Doesn't a stock WRX run 0-60 in roughly 5.5? To chop that time down to 4.6 seems pretty heavily modified to me...but I guess that may be due to the fact that in order to drop a full sec. off an RSX-S, you'd have to spend a lot of money, which equates to "heavily modified" to me...

Just my slight ignorance of the WRX and its modification capabilities. Is it that much cheaper/easier to mod the WRX?

Anyway, those RSX-S owners that claim to take a WRX, stock v. stock of course, are either lying or "raced" someone that wasn't racing. It is always possible though - you could miss a gear, get a terrible start, etc.. AS chu keeps pointing out, in street racing, anything can happen. But the pure, undeniable fact is, if you are racing 2 equal drivers, the WRX will win on a roll, from a stop, etc... And like you, I'm not sure why some RSX-S owners claim otherwise.

But like I've said, if you have the mentality that "the race isn't over until I say it is" I could beat a 'Vette - just wait 'till he slows down and pull a ricer fly-by and claim victory. But that's for fools.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Originally posted by 2003WRX
    I've driven an RSX-S and a regular RSX recently (girlfriend was looking for a new car) and while the 'S' had a reasonable amount of power in the upper rev range, it was really unimpressive down low. My 02 Nissan Spec-V would waste the RSX-S from a dead stop badly from a torque point of view. The RSX should catch up to that car around the top of 2nd gear (unfortunately, the Nissan redlines at 6250 ). It would seem to me that an RSX would need to be modified significantly to run well with my stock 03 WRX though... just my observations. The RSX-S was a hell of a nice car though, I really liked it. The build quality was nice and the engine sounds great.
    I like your Spec-V!

From a dead stop, the race should be pretty good. I've heard that the RSX-S usually wins, but not by much...but I've never raced one, and all I've heard is stories, so who knows?

Anyway, why do you have both cars? Just curious - I'd think it'd be hard to get out of the WRX and into the Spec-V...nothing against the Spec-V of course, but I'd imagine it'd be just as hard to get out of the WRX and into the RSX-S (performance wise).

I love my car, for sure. Personally, I put about 20,000 miles on the thing a year - that's why I went Honda. My family has gone w/ Honda forever, and we've never had any issues, ever. So I stuck w/ a good thing. And that's not a knock on Nissan or Subaru - I say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or whatever that saying is

Haha ...

I still remember when my mom was "trying" to convince me on getting a 2 door V6 Accord ... hehe. Well I told her if the ACR pulling 1+G and huge whp came over I might look at it. Actually I wonder because I wouldn't be able to launch.
    Actually I was doing 5.6 > 4.8 ... I would like to get down to 3.9 0-60. I just want to know and say that I can get my REX from 0-60 in <4 seconds. The uppipe, downpipe, and MBC are very standard and CHEAP mods. $$$ vs. performance.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

The Spec V is my daily driver while the WRX is slated to be my weekend beast. The Spec Vs are running 175hp and 180'/lbs of torque in a relatively light car and are very quick off the line if you can master the launch technique. Otherwise the tires just burn and the front-end hops. Stock for stock, assuming a good launch is had by all, the Spec V should take the Type-S every time off the line. Once the RSX reaches the high RPM range though, it benefits from more ponies and should win a 1/4 mile run... The Nissan is far more suited to an auto-x course though, and its not geared to be a straight-line car. It handles like mad though, and in the mountains is simply a blast to drive. The WRX feels alot more twitchy in the handling dept than the Spec V. Of course, I'm running the stock 16's on the WRX until tomorrow when I have my 17" Rota subzeros and Kumho 712's installed. That should be a more even comparision...
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

Originally posted by smokey

I like your Spec-V!

From a dead stop, the race should be pretty good. I've heard that the RSX-S usually wins, but not by much...but I've never raced one, and all I've heard is stories, so who knows?

Anyway, why do you have both cars? Just curious - I'd think it'd be hard to get out of the WRX and into the Spec-V...nothing against the Spec-V of course, but I'd imagine it'd be just as hard to get out of the WRX and into the RSX-S (performance wise).

I love
    my car, for sure. Personally, I put about 20,000 miles on the thing a year - that's why I went Honda. My family has gone w/ Honda forever, and we've never had any issues, ever. So I stuck w/ a good thing. And that's not a knock on Nissan or Subaru - I say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or whatever that saying is

the only performance mods he has is an
    upipe ~ 200
    downpipe ~400
    mbc ~50
    to me heavily modified means turbo swaps or engine porting something of that nature, but its all relative i guess.

I apologize i shouldnt have stereotyped you as a typical rsx'er from the rsx forum, my bad
    Last edited by SobeWRX; 09-03-2002 at 11:15 AM.

Mod for mod TURBO 4 > NA 4 cyclinder.

Originally posted by SobeWRX

the only performance mods he has is an
    upipe ~ 200
    downpipe ~400
    mbc ~50
    to me heavily modified means turbo swaps or engine porting something of that nature, but its all relative i guess.

I apologize i shouldnt have stereotyped you as a typical rwx'er from the rsx forum, my bad
    Hey, you don't have to apologize - no worries. I don't blame you - there's a reason why Honda's carry the "ricer" label - its the young kids that give us a bad name!

That's why I like this forum to be honest with you - for whatever reason, this forum is more "mature" - not as much BS, not as much gloating, etc... and trust me, my writing isn't the best and its easy to misunderstand what I'm saying!

Thanks for giving me the prices on the WRX mods - that's pretty awsome if you ask me. A typical RSX-S mod would be intake, exhaust and header. I'm not sure how much a header would cost, but I know a good intake (AEM CAI for example) can run you around $300+ for roughly 10hp at the crank (they say 15-17, I don't believe it). Then, for another $700-1K, you'll get an exhaust that'll give you another 20 or so hp, so you're talking about maybe 35hp at the crank which may mean 20 at the wheels - all that for 1K, and that's not even including the headers.

It gets expensive for Hondas. For that money, I'm probably going to get some 17 inch tires/wheels, drop the car a bit and tweek the suspension...I don't think 25hp is going to make that much of a difference, and I'd rather work on the handleing - it has a bit of body roll on really tight, fast turns and I want to fix that. And the 16s we get aren't the best tires I've ever had.

I like how you can drop $500 on a VW or Audi and chip the car, or a couple hundred on the Subaru's...I've got a fiance to think about and I can't go spending all my money on a car (though I'd like to)!

Yo

Honestly I think some of the "rice" cars do look nice. "Some" is the main point here. If other manufacturers came out w/ AWD SCCs for the general public then it would be so much more fun. I would love to see an SI do 0-60 in <5sec.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

My Si does 0-60 in 4.0 sec. then I woke up in a terrible cold sweat. I like all cars, they all have their strong and weak points. I just like to drive I like my Si as it is fun to rev to 8k rpm and it handles pretty well. also cheap to keep and own. I wanted a WRX because of the turbo, awd, and I like subaru. didnt hae the cash, so I got the 00 Si instead. and as it was said before, I like this forum as it really does seem a bit more mature than some others lol!
    currently have a stock '00 civic Si. not the fastest, but fun to rev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.