Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cobb Stage 2 WRX vs BMW 330 Ci

5K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  YZFWV 
#1 ·
Coming home from work and noticed some HIDs coming up behind me. I slowed down to see what it was, and it turned out to be a BMW 330 Ci...which I kind of guess it was a Bimmer, from its headlights.

He came up on my left and I was in the middle lane. I matched his speed of 65-70mph, but was 2 cars behind. Traffic cleared up and I proceeded to see if he wanted to play by moving to the passing lane and get on his left. He then proceeded to speed up to about 80mph, and I matched. He speed up a little more to 90mph, so I knew he wanted to play. I then showed him what a Stage 2 WRX can do in 5th gear at around 90mph, so I went WOT. I was about 2 cars behind, I reeled him in and passed him with little effort at around 105mph.

I then slowed down to 65mph. And it seems that he slowed down too, because he was about 5 cars back there. He then made for the next exit.

God I love Stage 2. Now onto Stage 2.5...not for a while :unhappy:

#3 ·
nice kill, but something doesnt seem right.....

leaving it in 5th gear at 90mph and making up 2 car lengths and then proceeding to pull even more on a 330ci is a odd. Those cars have some good top end especially with the rex in 5th at speeds near 100mph...

good kill anyways. I am assuming it must have been an auto

#4 · (Edited)
I too was supprised. However, I could be off by 10mph or so...I might of went WOT at 100mph in 5th, and then shut down around 115mph. Frankly, I was paying more attention to the road due to starting the race at such high speed.

He might of been 1/2 ass with his gas...thinking he had my car and wanted to just toy with me. Well, as it turned out it was the other way around.

I had a similar race with another E46 the other day. However, I couldn't tell what model it was due to the lack of badging. He had a "TMS" badge on the rear. I don't know what that mean. I never got a chance to asked what he had done to the car, but he gave me props and asked what I had in mine.

#12 ·
Doug05WRX said:
Just out of curiosity, how would a stock WRX do against a 330ci?
If its a 6speed and you have not gotten your launches down perfect it will be a very close race from a dig. (330ci 6spd's have no trouble running 14.3 - 14.5's and that is right where a rex will be if not given a great launch)

from a roll forget about it until you are catless. They will be trapping a few mph higher than you and have the superior gearing for the highspeed advantage.

#13 ·
330ci is an awesome car, but still a slob

I ran a 330ci a while ago when I was a Cobb 2.5 from a roll and pulled him in like it was nobody's business. The guy was cool and asked me what the hell I had in that thing :rotfl: and told him what I had. It was fun but those cars are built for all around performance not all out speed.

FWIW- I would buy one to keep in my garage.

#14 ·
i was messing around once with a 330ci who would rev at me on the freeway when it opened up he punched it at 80 in 4th i was up his ass and had to let off...we hit traffic but when it opened up again at like 65 we both gunned it ..me in 3rd this time and i had no trouble getting around him b4 i hit a 100..i also raced a e36 m3 on the freeway that day...it was beat up on bimmers day

#15 ·
AwdTurboWrx said:
i was messing around once with a 330ci who would rev at me on the freeway when it opened up he punched it at 80 in 4th i was up his ass and had to let off...we hit traffic but when it opened up again at like 65 we both gunned it ..me in 3rd this time and i had no trouble getting around him b4 i hit a 100..i also raced a e36 m3 on the freeway that day...it was beat up on bimmers day
Nice runs.

I too got to race a friend with a chipped E36 M3 sedan...it kept up, but I still slowly pulled. I love it.

#17 ·
im suprised your car pulled so well in 5th gear as well...

5th gear is a horrrrrrrrrrible gear for any kind of acceleration, the insainly tall 5th gear we have in the USDM wrx is there solely for higher mpg.

and against a 330ci... inline 6, natrually aspirated...

suprising...

but i guess thats pretty cool then cause ive really been wanting to go cobb stage 2 myself.

#18 ·
amukaoen said:
im suprised your car pulled so well in 5th gear as well...

5th gear is a horrrrrrrrrrible gear for any kind of acceleration, the insainly tall 5th gear we have in the USDM wrx is there solely for higher mpg.

and against a 330ci... inline 6, natrually aspirated...

suprising...

but i guess thats pretty cool then cause ive really been wanting to go cobb stage 2 myself.
lol, dude... this thread is nearly a year old.

#22 ·
Quack said:
it's so old that fourstar now has my VF30 setup and no longer stg2 :lol:

btw, the ran a Yamaha R1 with the VF30 with great results :)
what type of results? were talking about a bike with more whp stock than a stock wrx and weighing around 400lb haha. You'd have to have over 500whp to even think about messing with an r1.

#24 ·
fourstardrift said:
This took place around 2:30 AM as I'm coming home from work. I had to fill up w/ some gas and the normal Sunoco place was close so I had to venture into Cleveland. While cruising on a main road, I noticed this bike coming up behind and passing me quickly...he might be doing 40mph in a 25mph zone. I didn't think anything of it, until I caught up to him at a light. He had his girl on the bike and was looking over at me and was rocking his bike back and forth...I would assume he heard a low rumble exhaust and was going to show his bike off.

Well I kind of took the bate but didn't want to do a 6K drop. Light turns green and I started off normal, and so did he...might of thought I didn't take the bate. As I'm 1/2 way through 1st he was about 1/2 car behind and I went WOT. He heard the exhaust and gun his bike. I slammed into 2nd and he was still 1/2 car back :huh: . Finished 2nd and moving into 3rd and he's at my door :huh: . Wound out 3rd and his back wheel is to my front bumper. This was good enough for me so I shut it down.

We caught the next light and he just looked over and shook his head...might of been in amazement that I kept up...Hell so was I. :eek: We both waved and parted ways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.