Beelte Turbo "S" impressions!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Beelte Turbo "S" impressions! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had my wife's car at the VW dealership for service yesterday and ran into an old acquaintance - he ...

Beelte Turbo "S" impressions!

I had my wife's car at the VW dealership for service yesterday and ran into an old acquaintance - he now works there in sales. We got to talking and I told him that I had jumped ship and now own a Subaru (previously owned a Corrado).

So anyway, we talked for a while he asked me if I wanted take a drive in something and I responded, yes, "how 'bout that Beetle Turbo S out there". He got the keys and we were off.

I didn't beat on it or anything while it was cold and let it warm up. A couple of miles later I asked if I could have a go at the throttle, "he replied, sure go ahead". So I did, and OMG, it ain't quick folks.

I expected more from it frankly. A 6spd and 180hp/180tq. It's nice for grocery getting but it's nothing to brag home about either.

The brakes felt really nice though and body roll wasn't bad, although it did have too much mush in the suspension compression and rebound. I also noticed what seemed like an open diff in the front as I could feel the front most inner tire wanting to break free around a corner while gasing it.

Anyhow, I dove my wife's car back home after the test drive of the Beetle Turbo S. I got into my WRX to go and pick up my wife. There was some traffic at the enter section so I had to give it about part throttle and I was like "DAMN". Neck snapping pulse when the turbo hit. Even when my WRX was stock it would've smoked the Beetle Turbo S. Only reason I mention this is because they're the same price.
    Last edited by boosted 4; 08-30-2002 at 02:49 PM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the "review". I've always like their ad campaign (Turbonium), probably since I'm a chemist.... Anyway, I'm surprised at your findings. My wife is driving a MY02 Passat Wagon 1.8T. It's a pretty quick car, but it is pretty heavy.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

VW (especially the Beetle ) are the biggest rip-offs on the market.

Originally posted by WRXed
    Thanks for the "review". I've always like their ad campaign (Turbonium), probably since I'm a chemist.... Anyway, I'm surprised at your findings. My wife is driving a MY02 Passat Wagon 1.8T. It's a pretty quick car, but it is pretty heavy.
    Don't get me wrong here, I'm not totally cracking on it. It's based on the same platform that my wife's GTI GLS is based on, however her car has the 2.0 8v 115hp/122tq engine. It's obvious what VAG (VW Audi Group) does to their cars. They make them to be driving cars (city driving power below 5k is great), which isn't bad!

The only problem is you can change the chip and exhaust but it is still hendered by the size of the turbo. It simply can't flow the cc's and end's up being a bottleneck at 6k+ rpms. The Beetle Turbo S FALLS ON IT'S FACE after that. Well for that matter I guess the stock WRX does too but not quite as bad. Actually, it's more becasue of the bleed type EBC on the WRX than the turbo itself (stock turbo can't physically hold more than 11 psi past 7k rpm).
    Last edited by boosted 4; 08-30-2002 at 02:42 PM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

VWs are notorious for lifting their tires during hard cornering. I remember a picture/ad somewhere where the RR tire was about 3-4 inches off the ground with the body heeling badly. I sorta remember this feeling (a LONG time ago) in my brother's old POS fox.

BUT, you gotta remember that baby's a FRONT driver and that's a bit of power to be putting through the wheels. My SE-R did that a lot (limited slip)

Ahhh, the BEAUTY of All-Wheel Drive!

Roamin'
    Last edited by Roamin'Coyote; 08-30-2002 at 02:53 PM.

IPT
    YOu need to take a drive in a TT!! VERY VERY nice. They do not feel fast, but they are. You almost forget that they are turbo charged. Also with the TT the extra 45 hp and Quatro make a BIG difference especially around a corner.

But I guess the TT is a little on the spendy side. Oh well it was fun to trash around..

great review

those 1.8T can gain up to 35hp with just chip and some simple exhaust upgrade. Not a bad platform to work on, but Beatle is really just a fad car. I would rather get a golf or jetta 1.8T.

Originally posted by jk147
    those 1.8T can gain up to 35hp with just chip and some simple exhaust upgrade. Not a bad platform to work on, but Beatle is really just a fad car. I would rather get a golf or jetta 1.8T.
    I would've driven a Jetta or GTI but they don't have the 6spd MT in them like the Beetle.

Concerning the 35hp gain - I don't think that is true on the newer 1.8T motors. For the first couple of years of production they were rated at 150Hp. Still the same 1.8T engine but are now putting out 180HP = 30HP gain over the old ones.

How you ask? To my understanding VW raised the boost some and optimized fuel and ignition advance for the additional power. You can still through a chip in for improvements in power but it will NOT have the same effects becasue it's already maximized where the older 1.8T's had a lot of room for improvement.
    Last edited by boosted 4; 08-31-2002 at 06:59 AM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

YOu need to take a drive in a TT!! VERY VERY nice. They do not feel fast, but they are. You almost forget that they are turbo charged. Also with the TT the extra 45 hp and Quatro make a BIG difference especially around a corner.
    Actually that's optional the quattro and 45 hp aren't standard. The base model has the 180 hp FWD drivetrain.
    autobahn storming scooby

OH. I thought you said *** car.
    Orin's 2002 WRX Features.....
    Injen Cold Air Intake, M2 Up-Pipe, TurboXS Blow Off Valve, M2 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, M2 Up-pipe, Unichip (Tuned by Cobbtuning)
    VF30 Turbo, Walbro Fuel Pump, STI Fuel Injectors, 18" Konig Tantrums, Wings West Pro Wing, etc...

VW Audi Group ....VAG *cough* ina...

Just a thought, but maybe it was the fact you ran a 12.8, and this thing would be lucky to get low 15, just a thought

Are they ones with the nasty color matched orange wheels that Ive seen around here, ya, that would make the rest of the car orange too.

Nope! All black with silver rims and a balck/gray leather interior.
    2002 WRBP WRX

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

You're right about the color matching though, you can get them (a limited number) in lime green/orange/yellow with those weird color matched wheels. 10 mental horsepower over the standard Beetle Turbo S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast