A question about ricers

This is a discussion on A question about ricers within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I had my 1st run in with a ricer tonight. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...&threadid=8741 He might've had legit mods, but I ...

Question A question about ricers

Hey all,

I had my 1st run in with a ricer tonight.
    My 1st kill????

He might've had legit mods, but I was wondering about the noises they emit. It was a Prelude, but the exhaust was so loud that I could barely hear MY engine. The exhaust being so loud I could always tell when he was juicing it and I could respond appropriately - a reason to have a stealthy exhaust note.

So my curiosity: I noticed a big slur in his exhaust note when his car shifted. Is this b/c of the exhaust, his driving style, or does it mean he's in a slush box (automatic)? It sounded the same/even everytime I heard the shift, so I'm thinking of eliminating the driver choice.

Thanks for the the responses! Take care.

Roamin'

"Know your enemy!" - Rage Against the Machine
    Last edited by Roamin'Coyote; 08-29-2002 at 11:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't have the answers to your questions, but I just want to say that I bet my exhaust will be louder than most everyone's engines...hehe
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    i dunno either...what exactly do you mean by "slur"??

anyway, nice kill
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I Support ClubWRX
    Perhaps the exhaust note you heard during shifts was a BOV? Was his car turboed?

hey there, as a prelude owner I am disgusted by riceludes and I hate fart cans but alot of riceludes just stick a few bolt ons into the car with an apexi V-AFC which lets you change the cross over point for vtec. now if they do this and don't tune the thing it will
    go slower and sound crapper. I think this might have been the case.

i tried to post earlier....stupid connection. anyway.

so here's what i meant by a slur. this is going to be funny trying to text it, but here goes:

"normal" MT sounds: rrrreeeeeEEEVVVVV - shift -rrrreeeeeEEEVVVVV

the kill's sounds: rrrreeeeeEEEVVVVV - shift - zummmmmrrrreeeeeEEEVVVVV

It just sounded like he was either trying to be ultra smooth, exhaust mod, or it was an AT. Kinda like when you're starting from a stop and you keep the revs at a constant speed while slipping the clutch until the rest of the drivetrain "catches up". I don't know, it just seems to me that if you're trying to go fast that it would be a more abrupt transition in the revs, right? it just reminded me of some luxocars that use electronics to smooth the shifts out.

Schis: if he had a turbo, it surely didn't seem like it .

Wombat: I really can't say as to the extent of the mods. but if he added the v-tec controller would he be faster/slower than a STOCK wrx?

thanks everyone. take care.

Roamin'
    Last edited by Roamin'Coyote; 09-02-2002 at 07:24 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Roamin'Coyote

Wombat: I really can't say as to the extent of the mods. but if he added the v-tec controller would he be faster/slower than a STOCK wrx?

thanks everyone. take care.

Roamin'
    Not a chance. He'd need forced induction. Maybe supercharging might do it, more likely he'd need a turbo. Some NOS would help his cause. (See your other thread).

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I have heard this before and I believe it's from it being an AT, and a really slushy one at that.
    '02 Blue WRX - Stock
    '67 Red Firebird

Originally posted by GV27

Not a chance. He'd need forced induction. Maybe supercharging might do it, more likely he'd need a turbo. Some NOS would help his cause. (See your other thread).

Chris
    Yeah agreed.
    the V-AFC is quite a good device but without any real mods to go with it and a proper series of dyno runs to tune it properly
    they would probably just make the car slower

I have a sport shift auto prelude stock which is by no stretch of the imagination a fast car. (It's nice don't get me wrong but just not really in the same realm as a WRX).

My car doesn't make those sort of sounds I never try to "launch" the thing especially against a WRX I mean really what is the point of blowing my tranny to say I lost by 1 or 2 less car lengths than I would have if I took off without trying to launch.

Some people just don't want to admit their car is not the fastest thing on 4 wheels

He had an automatic.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock