Confessions from an A4 driver...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Confessions from an A4 driver... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, new to the board... So life with my hot, German super model is good, but getting a little ...

Confessions from an A4 driver...

Hi all, new to the board...

So life with my hot, German super model is good, but getting a little stale. Sure, she has great curves, is sexy to look at, and plays well, but my mind is wondering elsewhere. I keep seeing this cute little Japanese number, looks fun to play with, and the body ain't bad either. I bet she's not as high maintanance as my German super model... I think it's time for a date.

So I scheduled a test drive for yesterday. All the press I've read over the last number of months has got me itching to try the WRX out. I was expecting the interior to be horribly low rent, but when I first sat my ass in the comfy seats, I was pleasently surprised... I can get use to this. After fiddling with the seat a bit, adjusting mirrors, everything fell into place. Steering wheel is NICE, I assume the leather will soften up a bit over time.

I grab the stick and put in first... wow, holy short throw batman! My A4 suddenly felt like I was changing gears with a crowbar. And this was the standard WRX shifter, not the short throw version. The clutch was much different too. Engagment was closer to the top than my A4. I jerked the car foward... poor sales guy. My shifts were less than perfect for sure, but I'd have to drive the car for a bit to get smooth... hell, I still jerk the A4 now and again, but it's got a rather odd engagement point.

First thing I notice is the more upright driving position, nice visiblity all around. Sales man turns the AC on, windows are up and it's raining. Get off the main road onto some back roads. Some tight 25mph turns come up. I take them at a moderate speed. This is the first time in the car and I don't want to push it, plus I've heard about the ****ty RE92's. Wow, this car is tight and solid! Same thing I thought when I first test drove the A4 back in '99.... very impressive!

Come to a red light and I check out the interior a bit more... I like it. Light turns green and off I go. The salesman says "you can open it up..." I had it floored before he finished his sentence. Nice, strong accleration (ac is on), but not neck snapping... I let off at 5 grand... I don't want to abuse the car, although it had 70 miles on it and I'm guessing they are some hard miles from test runs, I didn't want to contribute to the abuse. Acceleration reminded me of my '97 Mustang GT, and I miss that acceleration. BIG TIME.

So, in conclusion, I'll be ordering a WRX next week for sure! The car impressed me throughly. It felt so solid, nimble and was quick. The interior isn't bad at all and I like the layout, especially the intrustment cluster, nice large tach and speedo. I also liked the steering column mounted turbo guage as well.

It's time to turn in my high maintance model for a more playful one... I can't wait!!

Mike

ps - The dealer I went to, Martin Subaru in NJ was very nice. I asked about mods and they told me theirs no voiding the warranty unless it's found to have caused the problem... that's just what I wanted to hear... so they are mod friendly Salesman also told me there are 3 certified Subaru techs in NJ, and they have 2... sales pitch? who knows? I was sold well before that.
    Last edited by merlot; 08-29-2002 at 08:19 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Great story. I notice the A4 and the WRX seem to reach similar demographic groups. I don't know about Audi's service, but make sure you research your dealership. Subaru service support is a mixed bag, and some are just terrible.

Looks like we'll be seeing you around.
    ----------------------------------------
    '02 Blue Sportwagon
    No mods - yet
    Starting with the rear sway bar and anti-lift kit...one day....I have faith

Don't feel too bad about the Audi...I traded in my 01 S4 for a WRX.

The only part that the WRX doesnt have over the S4 is the ability to set the cruise for 150MPH You won't be coming from such a whale in the A4, but you're going to like the WRX. AWD system is more communicative and lively. Feels soooo much better to be in a "lighter" car, but still hefty enough to feel comfortable at 140 (in the wagon). I just did a turboback exhaust, put some stock size Yok AVS's, and Axxis pads, some lines, rotors, fluid and the car is transformed again. Brakes are excellent now, sticks like glue and has plenty of torque down low. You can address every shortcoming on the WRX with about $1500
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

I don't know about Audi's service, but make sure you research your dealership.
    LOL... my Audi dealer is HORRIBLE! I had a problem with front brakes. Took it in twice and they said everything was fine... well, take a look at the picture below. Actually, first time they said just my rear brake pads wear worn & replaced, horrible noise was still there. Second time they said they cleaned rust off of the front rotors and they didn't hear anyhting. Yeah right! Finally the noise turned into a screeching metal on metal sound, I took the front tire off and found the brake pad hanging out!

This dealer seemed promising... time will tell.

Mike

Holy cow! I think your Audi dealer was trying to kill you, Merlot!
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

Good work
    Last edited by jk147; 08-29-2002 at 01:03 PM.

Merlot,

I agree with your first impressions of the WRX. I didn't expect much from $24K as far as refinement, but what you get surprises you (especially the momo wheel!) .

I want to emphasize the getting in the car part. When I got in, it was special: the way the seat holds you down and how good the visibility is. I like to be upright and I like the set-up a lot. It's not like getting into most cars, I like the "cockpit" feel I get as the driver and once i get my pillar mount guages, it'll feel even more so.

Sorry, had mine for about 6 weeks, but still love sharing in that first time experience with new buyers!

dan.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Re: Confessions from an A4 driver...

Originally posted by merlot

Nice, strong accleration (ac is on), but not neck snapping... I let off at 5 grand... I don't want to abuse the car, although it had 70 miles on it and I'm guessing they are some hard miles from test runs, I didn't want to contribute to the abuse. Acceleration reminded me of my '97 Mustang GT, and I miss that acceleration. BIG TIME.

Welcome! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the acceleration when you let it go past 5000 with the a/c off.

Re: Confessions from an A4 driver...

Originally posted by merlot

So life with my hot, German super model is good, but getting a little stale. Sure, she has great curves, is sexy to look at, and plays well, but my mind is wondering elsewhere. I keep seeing this cute little Japanese number, looks fun to play with, and the body ain't bad either. I bet she's not as high maintanance as my German super model... I think it's time for a date.

Hi there, you are not alone merlot! I traded in my A4, too. The day I traded in, I saw a Jetta sitting in the used car lot :-P . So, don't feel bad and enjoy whenever the car arrives.

Turn off A/C
    Get a $40 MBC
    Get a $1000 Turboback system

It surely will be neck snapping

My best friend/cousin has a 2002 WRX, and our good friend has a '97 (I think) Audi A4... They're both pretty much even, but the Audi came moded, think it had Stage 1 Racing kit and something else on it, and the Subie was stock, but they're both pretty nice cars.
    Justin K.
    2000 GMC Sonoma - 4.3 ExCab - CarDomain Page

One day WRX owner

Yeah I had the same kind of experience. I sat down, realized I was upright and close to the wheel and my head wasn't hitting the roof like in a Honda/Acura. Then I go into my first sorta quick corner and go to heel and toe it. And the pedals are RIGHT there perfectly placed, down into 2nd and smoothly through the corner. I was already sold on the car just based on the performance statistics and rally heritage, but the perfect ergonomics really put me "over the top".

Originally posted by QuickSilver
    Merlot,

I agree with your first impressions of the WRX. I didn't expect much from $24K as far as refinement, but what you get surprises you (especially the momo wheel!) .

I want to emphasize the getting in the car part. When I got in, it was special: the way the seat holds you down and how good the visibility is. I like to be upright and I like the set-up a lot. It's not like getting into most cars, I like the "cockpit" feel I get as the driver and once i get my pillar mount guages, it'll feel even more so.

Sorry, had mine for about 6 weeks, but still love sharing in that first time experience with new buyers!

dan.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

Originally posted by FUNKED1
    Yeah I had the same kind of experience. I sat down, realized I was upright and close to the wheel and my head wasn't hitting the roof like in a Honda/Acura. Then I go into my first sorta quick corner and go to heel and toe it. And the pedals are RIGHT there perfectly placed, down into 2nd and smoothly through the corner. I was already sold on the car just based on the performance statistics and rally heritage, but the perfect ergonomics really put me "over the top".

Yes ! Exactly so !

I'm 6'2". My previous car was a Toyota Celica GT-S. My hair was grazing the roof. Couldn't put on a helmet for lack of headroom. My Porsche-driving buddy gave me no end of crap about owning a car I couldn't take on a track 'cause I didn't fit. Called me "Too Tall" for months after that.

In the WRX, plenty of legroom for heel and toe and the pedals are spaced right, plenty of headroom, side support on the seats is excellent, good all-around visibility. It inspires confidence. First thing I did when I drove it home from the dealer, pulled my motorcycle helmet on and sat in the car. " Yeah ! So when's this here track day thang, anyway ?"

Welcome to the boards, merlot. Great first post.
    Old, but not slow.

Hey Funked1!

You may know me from the warbirds off-topic forum by the name of -solo- We talked about the WRX in the thread about a guy thinking of getting an A4. You have a nice pick of your white WRX in there

Thanks for the replies all! I have been diligently working on price qoutes and what not. I should be recieving some info next week about how much the WRX COSTS the dealers, not what they paid... should help me much in my baragining process. I have a post in the everyday Impreza forum asking how folks got invoice price. I hope my research pays off!

Mike

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.