Vw 1.8?

This is a discussion on Vw 1.8? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The is the second part of this weird old 1.8. Driving to work a few weeks ago I'm sitting at ...

Vw 1.8?

The is the second part of this weird old 1.8. Driving to work a few weeks ago I'm sitting at the light in a left lane. I have my windows down and I hear this other exhaust so I look over. There is this OLD VW w/ an aftermarket exhaust. I think nothing of it and when the light turns green I go w/ traffic. The VW has to slow down because the people in his lane are making a right and I pass him like I normally drive. I start going up this hill and turn my blinkers to change into the right lane as normal. There's NO cars in the right lane and I'm cruising around 45mph in a 35mph up a hill. Well I look in my rear view mirror and see the VW speeding up behind me? I have no idea what he's trying to do so I start speeding up w/ OUT changing gears but I'm already in 3rd. The VW gets into the left lane and probably doing 70mph+ ... I see a Jeep in the left lane and I'm probably 1.5 cars behind and right of the Jeep. I wondered to myself if the VW would be stupid enough to cut infront of me? Well as typical "rice" boys he does and as he cuts infront of me w/ maybe 5ft of room ... if he touched my car I would have beat him ... well as he "tires" to show off he changes gears and blows FIRE out of his exhaust ... I thought it was cool. Well he tries to keep going but in less than 3 secs he trapped in taffic again. I'm right behind him and I give him the look of "You're an idiot!"
    Well the second part was yesterday driving home from work. I'm driving like I normally do in this one section which is 5-7K rpm up a hill because after sitting in traffic for 20 minutes gets me impatient. Well suddenly I notice an old VW 1.8 get right behind me going up this hill. I looked like the guy from a few weeks ago who tried to prove something. Well so I slow down and this guy just sits in my blind spot. However what I heard was this strange winning sound from his engine bay ... turbo charger, supercharger, or broken car. Well I'm waiting for a clearing or light but no luck. I on purposely slow down even more and look over at him and he doesn't even look at me.
    What could an 1.8 have in the engine that caused the winning sound? Boy "ricer" didn't wanna go when I was ready? I'm sure I'll see him around one day at a light. I don't care what his 1/4 mile time is because a "street race" is <5 seconds. He wants to play I will too.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The older GTI and Scirocco cars are great platforms for swaps, leading the way before Honduh.

Anything from a Techtonics 2.2 to a new VR6 can be stuffed into any VW from like 78 on up.

He could of done a 1.8 G60 (g-ladder supercharger) swap from an early Corrado. Those started at like 150hp (no torque) and could end up around 200-220hp.

Callaway used to have turbo kits for the older 1.8 16V, but good to about 250hp. This one would be unlikely.

Not too many turbo kits iirc for the VWs, until now.

There were some supercharger options available, but none really made it past the 300hp mark.

You could also put the 1.8 turbo in those as well I think.

They are quick because they are light (2000-2700lbs), traction is awful because the suspension is so oldschool. Braking sucks and they all have some scarey snap oversteer. But normally understeer somehthing awful. People would double up on sway bars!

I raced two early 90's GTIs about 4 weeks ago, they looked cool (usual monkey bars inside) and sounded pretty cool, but I dropped them with ease from 60 on up. Buzzy little things.

(I was a diehard VW modder from way back)
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Originally posted by madwagon
    He could of done a 1.8 G60 (g-ladder supercharger) swap from an early Corrado. Those started at like 150hp (no torque) and could end up around 200-220hp.

The G60 made MORE torque than it did HP: 158HP/5600 rpm and 166TQ/4000 rpm

The 1.8 G60 in stock form was slow but modded they've got a great bottom-end for adding a turbo. The G60 doesn't make a whining type sound like a lot of SC's do. It makes a terrible droaning sound and can be really annoying with a smaller pulley.

It most likely sounds as if this guy had a turbo or another type of SC. If it's an old skool rabbit with a turbo you are finished even in a little street race.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Really ...

How fast are they 0-60?
    2004 STI White/Gold

My daily driver (to keep "traffic jam" miles off the WRX) is a 91 Jetta GLI. It has a 2.0 16v in it. It is a lot slower than the WRX but in it's own way can be more fun to drive. When I go from the Jetta to the WRX it feels like the Subbie is luxury car.

Everything about the A2 VW's was "real". Every input (steer, brake, clutch) is heavily weighted and very communicative. I am getting ready to do some work to the GLI. I am getting cams, mild p&p, chip, dp, dampers/springs/sways. The car should put down about 125-130hp at the wheels. It is not a speed demon but because of the light weight it will be quick. If you ever get a chance to drive one that is sorted out you will be grinning from ear to ear.

EDIT: There are quite a few NA 16v putting down 160-175hp at the wheels!

I am pretty sure that a moderately set up GTI/GLI will put down better numbers than a WRX at an autocross...but that is largely because of the turbo lag and low speeds of auto-x's.

S/C Mk2 VR6
    http://www.18turbo.com/jwelty/brianlawson-mk2scvr6.htm

12.04@115mph A1 here:
    http://www.18turbo.com/jwelty/allens-mk1rabbitturbo.htm

For more info go here:
    http://www.jwelty.com/home.html
    then click on the "Hop to" drop down menu and click on "Fast VW's"
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

Originally posted by boosted 4

The G60 made MORE torque than it did HP: 158HP/5600 rpm and 166TQ/4000 rpm

The 1.8 G60 in stock form was slow but modded they've got a great bottom-end for adding a turbo. The G60 doesn't make a whining type sound like a lot of SC's do. It makes a terrible droaning sound and can be really annoying with a smaller pulley.

It most likely sounds as if this guy had a turbo or another type of SC. If it's an old skool rabbit with a turbo you are finished even in a little street race.
    Remember how gutless they were? I raced a few of the G60s in my old 82 Scirocco (with 1.8 Fox motor) and I'd always kill em off the line. The G60 just robbed too much power down low.

True about about how stout the engines are.

Yeah the older Rabbits were little monsters with around 200hp or so.

Ahhh the nostalgia of having 115 crank hp even with a cam (G-grind).
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Re: Really ...

Originally posted by chuglobal
    How fast are they 0-60?
    Stock, all the VWs had troubles getting under 7 seconds. Even with mods maybe 6 seconds. Mid range car, not particually fast up top either. If you could do 140 in a VW you were pretty fast.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

chuglobal

How fast are they 0-60?

If you're talking about the Corrado G60 the fastest I've seen (Magazine times) was 7.5 sec and the slowest was a 8.1.

If you're talking about the a Rabbit or Scirocco with a 1.8 w/turbo or Sc then I don't know. On the street with out slicks, probably not that great. On the drag strip putting down good power they could hook a 1.5 60'

I say the next time you see the guy get him to pull over and talk to him. I'm interested to know what he's got under there seeing how it throws fire.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Originally posted by madwagon

Remember how gutless they were? I raced a few of the G60s in my old 82 Scirocco (with 1.8 Fox motor) and I'd always kill em off the line. The G60 just robbed too much power down low.

True about about how stout the engines are.

Yeah the older Rabbits were little monsters with around 200hp or so.

Ahhh the nostalgia of having 115 crank hp even with a cam (G-grind).
    On my G60 (I had a 1991) when I got it one of the IC hoses had backed off the IC inlet. That's a common problem with a lot of them. Over the years owners neglect them and they start getting back. I thought the car was a just a dog and then one day decided to take a look around the engine bay.

It started there and went to a Giac Stage 2, then the next year I went to a Giac Stage 4, and then I decided to have the entire engine pulled and rebuilt with P&P on the head, Total seal rings, charger rebuilt, went to an even smaller pulley (62mm) and a variety of other things.

First trip out to the track it ran 14.3 @ 99+ with under 1k miles on it. I had heavy (21lb) 17" rims on it too. It would take a stock WRX on the highway and just about match it on the 1/4 mile. It couldn't hook up though especially with an open diff = a lot of spinning off the line and spin through part of 2nd.
    2002 WRBP WRX

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Yeah ...

I usually talk to people who are "cool" about cars. This guy seemed to have a "cocky" attitude when I was trying to be friendly. I met this other guy a few weeks ago driving an older S4 and he stated his S4 put <400whp .... we chatted for a few in traffic and he was cool w/ it. I introduced myself and he did the same thing and he was inquiring about my mods. The VW guy was just "ghetto" ... oh well ... I'm sure we'll meet again some day.
    I usually ask 0-60 because that's basically what I run ... I hardly ever go above 70mph because too many traffic lights and local speed limit. I was just making sure he wasn't <5sec.
    2004 STI White/Gold

Unless you come across one of the very few rallye golfs (AWD) in America I wouldn't worry about a 0-60 run at all.

Unless he is running slicks and has a portable water box
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

Re: Yeah ...

Originally posted by chuglobal

I usually ask 0-60 because that's basically what I run ... I hardly ever go above 70mph because too many traffic lights and local speed limit. I was just making sure he wasn't <5sec.
    The only problem with asking people their 0-60 is that 95% of people dont really know UNLESS they're stock and can quote magazine #'s. Even then, alot of people can't drive or aren't consistent.

Plus, if you're trying to keep it at a reasonable speed limit that isn't really a safeguard. For instance, if a cop see's me launch from a traffic light and I do a 1.8 flat 60' (as I usually do) and shut it down at the speed limit he's still going to be all over my ass. That would be reckless driving at least and could also cite you for street racing (even worse).

Anyhow, what if you asked me that and I said I had no clue but I average an 8.1 1/8th mile? Would you still want to race me?
    2002 WRBP WRX

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Yo

I wouldn't ask directly but it's just for my personal knowledge.
    2004 STI White/Gold