The scariest thing I’ve ever seen behind the wheel
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on The scariest thing I’ve ever seen behind the wheel within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Some of you have experienced this, but at least it was a sports car that screwed up. Here’s what happened: ...

The scariest thing I’ve ever seen behind the wheel

Some of you have experienced this, but at least it was a sports car that screwed up. Here’s what happened:

I was on my way home from work at about 10pm last night. I drive a curvy road along the Neshaminy Creek twice EVERY DAY. I know every rise, dip, bump, and curve. With the Yokos, I can easily carve it up at 75-80mph. This bone stock looking late-80s Monte Carlo (not an SS) pulls out in front of me. I was a little mad he did, so I rode him at about a car’s length. I guess I was annoying him and he gets on it. I was surprised because the car took off like a bat out of hell. I was impressed, but there were no curves and a light coming up. I just rolled it on in fourth gear and stayed with him.

We reach the light and he’s the first car going straight and I’m behind him. What lies ahead is a series of off-camber turns with NO ROOM for error. Much to my surprise, he gets on it again. I wasn’t worried about catching him because of the curves ahead. I launched normally and got on it in second gear. I’ll never forget what happened next.

The first (right) off camber turn he takes at like 60mph and the back end gets loose, but he was in control. The next turn is a sweeper to the left along the guardrail and an earth wall. I’m still hanging to about a car length, but he knows he’s not losing me. All of a sudden the Monte goes completely sideways. I mean the middle of the car was on the yellow lines and I’m looking in the passenger’s side window!!! What followed is something I’m all too familiar with, “The Tank Slapper.” The car starts fishtailing wildly as the driver attempts to regain control. Narrowly missing the guardrail and the earthen wall, I watch in horror as I shift into neutral and nail the brakes. Thankfully, the driver regained control and I got to speak with him:

Me: What the hell happened?
    Him: I blew a tire, didn’t you see that?
    Me: “No, I just figured you lost it.”
    Him: “Nah, I totally lost my front right tire.”
    Me: “OK, that explains the smoke. I’m impressed anyway.”
    Him: “Thanks.”
    Me: “That’s a hell of a Monte Carlo you’ve got there, but I’m glad I’m not scraping you off the pavement.”
    Him: (LAUGH) “Thanks, have a good evening.”
    Me: “Yeah, you too.” [under my breathe] “Psycho.”

-Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So.... did his tire really blow, or was he making it up to not look too bad? If it did, what happened!?! Were his tires old. I figure that you may not have actually gotten to see them since it was at night, but figured maybe you noticed bald tires, or belts showing, etc. I'm glad that neither of you were hurt. Close call...
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, that's messed up. Something similar (but not quite to that extent) happened to me last night.

I was driving with my cousin Wence and I notice that the guy behind me is following me pretty close. It was pretty dark but I could recognize that it was an early-90s Ford Thunderbird. I knew he was following me closely, but I didn't think much of it. Up ahead were some twisties, so I figured this would be my chance to get away a bit.

I didn't punch it at all through the twisties, but it was enough that I didn't see him in my rear view for awhile. However, near the end of it, I saw him pull up to my rear again. I told Wence to check this guy out and up ahead there was a tight 90-degree right. Wence goes "Dude there's no way he's gonna follow you around this." Seeing that he's just about riding my ass, I punch it and give a little space between us, slow down for the turn, and then punch it after the apex. I look in my rear view mirror and he tried to do the same, only his car couldn't handle it and he ended up fishtailing into the oncoming traffic lane! Thankfully there wasn't any traffic going the other way!

I come to a stop sign and he's turning left like I am, so I gun it and he guns it too. He tries to follow us through another little twisty but this time I lose him and he must've turned off somewhere. All I can say is, "WTF????"
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Originally posted by WRXed
    So.... did his tire really blow, or was he making it up to not look too bad? If it did, what happened!?! Were his tires old. I figure that you may not have actually gotten to see them since it was at night, but figured maybe you noticed bald tires, or belts showing, etc. I'm glad that neither of you were hurt. Close call...
    I never saw the blown tire, I think he was full of it. The car seemed to be sitting level when he pulled over.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

I never saw the blown tire, I think he was full of it. The car seemed to be sitting level when he pulled over.

-Jim
    That's kind of what I figured. I'm sure the smoke you saw was from tires moving perpendicular to their intended path of travel! Some people...
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

That story reminds me of the time that I was driving the canyons in SoCal and pulled behind an IS300. He saw me fly up behind him and decieded his car could corner like mine. A few corners later he ended up sideways with a compact truck coming in the opposite direction. Very lucky the truck was able to stop and there was no accident. That along with another experience while racing caused me to realize that I may be the best driver in the world, but if i'm racing an idiot, and he hits someone, I'm almost as responsible (probably legally just as responsible) as the idiot. Not that I'm completely against having some fun on the road, but I always try to keep that thought in the back of my mind when driving.
    2002 WRX

Still Stock

Originally posted by spoggly
    That story reminds me of the time that I was driving the canyons in SoCal and pulled behind an IS300. He saw me fly up behind him and decieded his car could corner like mine. A few corners later he ended up sideways with a compact truck coming in the opposite direction. Very lucky the truck was able to stop and there was no accident. That along with another experience while racing caused me to realize that I may be the best driver in the world, but if i'm racing an idiot, and he hits someone, I'm almost as responsible (probably legally just as responsible) as the idiot. Not that I'm completely against having some fun on the road, but I always try to keep that thought in the back of my mind when driving.
    Well, an IS300 should be able to corner like yours (stock WRX). Anyhow, excellent point about racing an idiot

One time when I had my Celica I was at a light when a young guy pulled up next to me in a black Mustang GT. His girl was in the car with him, his pipes were loud, his music was even louder. He looked over at me and revved. All I had was a CAI and exhaust, I knew I'd get killed but what the heck. The light went green, he spun his tires, I got a couple of car lengths on him but once it hooked up, he overhauled me quickly, then pulled ahead. There was a car up ahead in his lane, mine was clear. So I backed off to give him room, but he just kept accelerating hard, and I'm thinking, "Oh my god, he's going to rear-end this poor SOB !" At the very last minute, he slammed on his brakes in a howling stop which probably had that poor other driver going home to change his shorts. No contact, but it was close.

That made an impression on me. I won't say I never street race, but I'm pretty careful about picking my spots when to do it.
    Last edited by ScoobySteve; 08-27-2002 at 08:08 PM.
    Old, but not slow.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.